PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Jetta-powered speedster wows the sporting world

Jetta-powered speedster wows the sporting world

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/jettapowered-speedster-wows-the-sporting-world-20120925-26ja9.html#ixzz27XVRBwAb

Jetta-powered speedster wows the sporting world

Sydney Morning Herald
September 25, 2012

Lewis Jetta shows Collingwood's defence a clean set of heels last Friday night.

As the sprint and conditioning coach who worked with NRL flyer Jarryd Hayne at Parramatta, Hayden Knowles knows the sort of speeds that fast footballers can clock.

Knowles is the man who helped organise a 2010 cross-code sprint involving the likes of Wallaby Lachie Turner and Eels superstar Hayne, and works with a host of Olympic hopefuls under his Athletic Allstars banner.

He's desperate to find Australia's next great sprinter, looking to make amends for the fact so much talent is funnelled into the AFL and NRL.

Talent like Sydney livewire Lewis Jetta, who showcased his sprint skills once again in last Friday night's preliminary final with an incredible running goal.

The 23-year-old bolted over 80m in approximately 10.7 seconds while bouncing the ball three times.

Knowles was in awe, but not surprised.

"I wanted him in my cross-code fastest footballer race a couple of years back, but it wasn't possible," he told AAP ahead of Saturday's grand final.

"If someone finds a talent like Lewis and cares for, encourages, nurtures and believes in them the same way the Sydney Swans have - then Australia can one day mix it with the rest of the world in the mens sprints.

"Australia's fastest ever man Patrick Johnson is indigenous, there is another one out there. Bruce McAvaney mentions Usain Bolt in the commentary (of Jetta's goal). Australia has one somewhere."

Like so many school children, Jetta loved his athletics.

"100, 200, 400, 800. High jump, long jump. All the events," he said on Tuesday.

"To be honest I haven't really been timed, I'd like to get the spikes on and be timed."

It makes the fact he is lost to the world of athletics all the more frustrating for Knowles.

"If someone grabbed Lewis at 17 and did what the Swans have done and supported him on the track he would definitely be an Olympian," Knowles said.

"And not just an Olympian, he could have been one of our best ever like a Cathy Freeman."
High praise indeed. But Jetta was determined to forge a career in the AFL and has reaped the rewards.

With the help of partner Jess and a testing pre-season in which he shadowed Kieren Jack, Jetta has transformed himself into a genuine star of the league this year.

Last year, the boy from Bunbury competed in the grand final's halftime entertainment - the 100m sprint.

Now Jetta's blistering pace will be one of the central acts in the MCG spectacle.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

BG

Patrick Dangerfield gave Jetta a royal touch up in the AFL Grand Final Sprint last year. Jetta was 4th!

Last weekend, Jetta ran away from Nathan Brown, who even the most ardent Collingwood fan would be hard pressed to call fast.

On the evidence of the Swans v Crows game a few weeks ago, Jetta has improved since last September, but my money would still be on Dangerfield for a comfortable win!

BG

BG wrote:Patrick Dangerfield gave Jetta a royal touch up in the AFL Grand Final Sprint last year. Jetta was 4th!

Last weekend, Jetta ran away from Nathan Brown, who even the most ardent Collingwood fan would be hard pressed to call fast.

On the evidence of the Swans v Crows game a few weeks ago, Jetta has improved since last September, but my money would still be on Dangerfield for a comfortable win!

BG

I hope Terang Gift winner Lauchlan Dalgeish (Essendon Rookie list) runs in the half time sprint. Dangerfield vs Dalgeish.... I'd back Dalgeish but only just!

BG

2012 Grand Final Sprint Field:

Heat 1

Sydney: Harry Cunningham
West Coast: Ashley Smith
GWS Giants: Tomas Bugg
St Kilda: David Armintage
Carlton: Kane Lucas
Melbourne: TBC
Collingwood: Paul Seedsman
Fremantle: Tendai Mzungu
North Melbourne: Shaun Atley

Heat 2

Adelaide: Patrick Dangerfield
Brisbane Lions: Ben Hudson
Richmond: Chris Newman
Gold Coast Suns: Campbell Brown
Essendon: Stewart Crameri
Port Adelaide: Aaron Young
Geelong Cats: Billie Smedts
Hawthorn: Angus Litherland
Western Bulldogs: Liam Picken

Dangerfield an unbackable favourite in this field...

Trackstar

Hell, Brisbane are having a dead set go!!!! Sending out their heavy artillery. BIG chance.

Ben Hudson!!!

What a F****n joke!

SpeedyDude

Well Knowles continues to show he has no eye for REAL athletic talent. First he picks the most overrated runner in Australia (Caldow) for his Rio Talent Squad, and now he thinks someone who runs 10.7 for 80m could run in the Olympics, No idea.

Matenga

SpeedyDude wrote:Well Knowles continues to show he has no eye for REAL athletic talent. First he picks the most overrated runner in Australia (Caldow) for his Rio Talent Squad, and now he thinks someone who runs 10.7 for 80m could run in the Olympics, No idea.

Well this guy is clearly a massive douche! That comment is completely unnecessary.

youngy

Admin
Admin
Hayden Knowles has invested his own time, energy and money through his company Competitive Edge for this Sprint Squad project.

I believe he received dozens of applications from which he sourced the final eight.

When I read about it on the Competitive Edge website, on behalf of Jordan Caldow I submitted an application for the squad. I didn't tell Jordan nor anyone else at the time about it, thinking that it was not likely to lead to anything.

When Hayden got back to me, expressing his interest in Jordan, I then let Jordan and his mum know about it.

It's up to Hayden to select who he wants. Had he not selected Jordan, no-one would be the wiser because I had no intention of informing anyone of my submission. I certainly would not have expressed animosity towards Hayden nor those he has selected.

We would have just carried on regardless.

Hayden has taken a punt on Jordan based on the information I provided and his own subsequent research. That research included Hayden personally speaking to Jordan to gauge the lad's character & temperment. Jordan's one of eight that I believe will be whittled down to one in 12 month's time.

I guess we'll know in 12 months whether it's vindicated or not.

9 Tips three in a row for Jordan Caldow on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 am

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
As one of the very few who tipped Jordan Caldow for his second Bay Sheff, I want to make sure I beat the rush and make one thing clear.

Jordan Caldow is on the path to a hat trick of Bay Sheff victories.

In years to come, I will cherish my memories of young Jordan Caldow taking the big races at the Bay ... and I will be able to say with pride that I ran in the same carnivals, on the same tracks.

birdman

SpeedyDude wrote:Well Knowles continues to show he has no eye for REAL athletic talent. First he picks the most overrated runner in Australia (Caldow) for his Rio Talent Squad, and now he thinks someone who runs 10.7 for 80m could run in the Olympics, No idea.

i wonder if this guy has ever ran against perry caldow or if he knows his personality..i think not, i do believe i do, what jordy does on the track will be upto him and yeah he might not get to the big stage but for this bloke to say most overrated runner in australia, he has his head in the sand.and maybe up in ass as well, but knowing jordy if u underrate him he will make u look like a fool

Trackstar

Well said birdman. Only 8 selected means a sack load missed out.

Can't help thinking speedy dud was one who missed out. Sour grapes.

SpeedyDude

Trackstar wrote:Well said birdman. Only 8 selected means a sack load missed out.

Well my point won't be proven for another 4 years until Caldow does not make the team. He will have wasted an opportunity that could have been given to many more talented, and harder working runners than him. He has no heart and no ability to accelerate, can go alright in gift runs where he starts 6m in front of the top runners or on the beach where everyone runs slower but on the track no chance. He has been a 10.8 runner at best. Props go to Youngy though, on selling him as a 'future champion' to Hayden. He will never place top 2 in the 100m at the national titles.

Youngy perhaps if you truly believed that Caldow had the talent to run 10.1's you would pass him on to a coach who actually has the ability to get him there? But I think you are just using Haydens resources to help get Caldow another gift win or 2. At the end of the day who cares, it is what you do on the track that defines a great runner and a 10.8 don't cut it.

birdman

SpeedyDude wrote:
Trackstar wrote:Well said birdman. Only 8 selected means a sack load missed out.

Well my point won't be proven for another 4 years until Caldow does not make the team. He will have wasted an opportunity that could have been given to many more talented, and harder working runners than him. He has no heart and no ability to accelerate, can go alright in gift runs where he starts 6m in front of the top runners or on the beach where everyone runs slower but on the track no chance. He has been a 10.8 runner at best. Props go to Youngy though, on selling him as a 'future champion' to Hayden. He will never place top 2 in the 100m at the national titles.

Youngy perhaps if you truly believed that Caldow had the talent to run 10.1's you would pass him on to a coach who actually has the ability to get him there? But I think you are just using Haydens resources to help get Caldow another gift win or 2. At the end of the day who cares, it is what you do on the track that defines a great runner and a 10.8 don't cut it.

Speedy dude..how can u say he has no heart, went back 3m from 2010 bay sheff and still ran everyone down with a restricted prep and a slight hammy strain...thats heart..sounds like ur just a bit jealous, he has more heart than u have brains , but dont hide behind ur name here , tell us ur real name and we can judge you on ur performances and then we can have a beer to put the two resumes against each other....ill shout still got a few pennys from the bookies...im easy to find just ask for p burdett...enjoy ur season

youngy

Admin
Admin
Speedy Dude... You do know that I know who you are? Because you write as if I don't.

And as I am very familiar with your own recent history of under achievement, you are certainly in no position to criticise.

Just for the record, based on last summer, the handicappers in two major pro-running states (VIC & TAS) has Jordan giving you a start. So Hayden's view is not isolated.

As disappointed as I am in your public bagging of Caldow, I'm not surprised. Speaking to a lot of people in this sport, since 2010, sadly, it's not your running, but your lack of humility, class & respect for others that has become your trademark.

Trackstar

Well balanced athlete this speedy dud. A chip on both shoulders. One for Knowles & one for Caldow.

airtight

Any clue who Speedy Dude is? Is he a runner?
Sounds like a real nutcase!!!

birdman

yes i think i know who it is....not from adelaide and is a very unliked person in all forms of running, but ill let him tell people who he is if he has the balls and the HEART to do so

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

My first question is how a comment about me having no heart can come from a sprinter who literally pulls up every race you realise you cant win. My second is to query where the idea of "my inability to accelerate" came from, because I have an Australian Gold Medal sitting at home suggesting that it puts yours to shame. Thirdly I haven't run off a handicap of over 7m since I won the Port Adelaide gift in Sept 2010 and have been under 4m since the Bay Sheffield that same year (do your research). Lastly I hope you trained hard this winter... I'll see you on the track <3

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
"If only SAAL was more like the old World Championship Wrestling."

That is what I was saying just a while back.

Now here we have live here on Pro-Track ...

Hey, Jordan Caldow, you have achieved rare success.

And success brings envy ... and envy talks rubbish ...

Yes, ignore the provocations and express yourself through your performance on the track.

Trackstar

Just as well Sally Pearson didn't listen to critics who said Sharon Hannan was only a Little A's coach and not capable of taking Sally to Olympic medals. All successful elite coaches started from somewhere. Under rate Youngy at your peril, Speedy dud.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum