PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Olympic champion Sally Pearson forced to train on sub-standard Gold Coast track

Olympic champion Sally Pearson forced to train on sub-standard Gold Coast track

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sport/olympic-champion-sally-pearson-forced-to-train-on-sub-standard-gold-coast-track/story-e6frfglf-1226458381506

Olympic champion Sally Pearson forced to train on sub-standard Gold Coast track

Emma Greenwood
The Courier-Mail
August 27, 2012

OLYMPIC champion Sally Pearson has revealed she is forced to train on a sub-standard Gold Coast City Council-funded running track that is "falling apart" because nobody will pay for a repair.

Council officials proudly used the poster girl as a crowd puller to their annual race day on Saturday, but have left the Gold Coast Athletics Track, at Griffith University, to rapidly deteriorate.

Now Pearson wants something in return.

"I just want it to get redone because it's been there since 1998 and it's starting to fall apart really," she said.

"They've just built tennis courts and volleyball courts there, but we still haven't had our track done yet."

Pearson said athletics officials have been asking for the track to be repaired for years.

"I know we've been asking for a reseal for a number of years now, so I'm not sure where it is in the process now, but I hope it is getting done."

Pearson's own squad includes fellow Olympian, Papua New Guinean sprinter Toea Wisil and hurdlers Andrea Miller and Siddhanth Thingalaya, who missed Olympic selection through injury.

The track is also home to the Gold Coast Victory Athletics Club, whose members include Olympic discus thrower Julian Wruck and world youth championships runner Katelyn Simpson.

"There's also other sports that come there as well, like triathletes come there, Olympians, I'm not the only Olympian that trains there," Pearson said.

Pearson believed the reseal was a good investment of council funds.

"Especially when the Gold Coast is going to have the Commonwealth Games in 2018, it would be nice to have a new track for the athletes to train on," she said.

Pearson seldom speaks out of school, but has had enough of the situation and hopes her recent success may help the plight.

Area councillor Dawn Crichlow said an upgrade of the track was "long overdue".

"Sally is 100 per cent correct and this work should have been done five years ago," she said.

"The council is totally aware this needs to be done, but it has been delayed because we only have a short-term lease on the site.

"Griffith University have assured me the track is here to stay so we should press ahead with it as soon as possible."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum