PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Fired up Josh Ross shows who's Boss

Fired up Josh Ross shows who's Boss

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Fired up Josh Ross shows who's Boss on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/athletics-london-2012/fired-up-ross-shows-whos-boss-20120811-240q2.html#ixzz23Djp8JIL

Fired up Ross shows who's Boss
By Michael Gleeson
The Age
August 11, 2012 - 11:26AM

Josh Ross struggled to bring himself to watch the men's 100m final. It was the sickness of feeling that he might have been there but for being refused the chance to run. He knew he would not have won it, but he might have made the last eight had Athletics Australia speculated on him.

On Friday night he ran angry, fuelled by the desire to prove a point, and anchored the men's 4x100m relay team, carrying the baton across the line and qualifying Australia into a surprise final tomorrow night. He will now get his wish to run head-to-head with the best.

"I was running down some guys that were in the individual and showed why I am called The Boss," he said.

"I would have come close definitely without a doubt [to the individual 100m final]. Who knows what I could have done? I believe I would have definitely made the semi, maybe the final with a low 10.0 high 9.9. It's definitely possible because that's the kind of shape I am in.

"I was tossing up whether I should even watch the 100s on tele. It was hard you know ... to turn up to training the next day with a big boot in your guts. But I am a man. I cop it on the chin. I am a professional and that showed tonight.

"I wanted to show them. Every time I step on that track I have a point to prove that I am the best that is. What I am out to prove to everyone and to myself, I use it as motivation."

Ross was annoyed that Athletics Australia did not nominate him to run the individual 100m despite his not having an Olympic A standard time, as they did with 400m runner Steve Solomon - who went on to make the final.

Australia, which last made the final of the 4x100m in the Athens games, clocked 38.17s, equalling the Australian record. They were the seventh fastest qualifiers for the final.

"Nothing is out of the question for us now," Ross said. "In relays anything is possible. It is a final."

"I want to say these are the moments that I live for, I breathe for, that I work hard for. Moments like this, my second Olympic final. This is why I am back, because of this rush, the crowd. I love this. I love the sport."

Relay team members often come from disparate backgrounds, and Australia's is no different. There is Ross, who quit racing for a time and worked as a topless barman in a strip bar. There is also Anthony Alozie, who came to Australia for the Commonwealth Games with the Nigerian team and liked it so much he stayed. A soccer player in Nigeria, he took up sprinting on a coach's advice. Tonight he thanked "God almighty for this moment".

Isaac Ntiamoah is an IT worker from Canberra who is of African descent, while Andrew McCabe was a junior touch football star.

"I'm 21-years-old and an Olympic finalist already so words can't describe how I feel at the moment," McCabe said. "I kind of expected to make the final. No one else did, but I always knew we would be here. Just got to come out in the final now."

2 Re: Fired up Josh Ross shows who's Boss on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:19 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/london-olympics/aussies-qualify-for-4x100m-relay-final-with-national-record-time/story-fn9di2lk-1226448019466?from=public_rss

Josh Ross fires broadside as Aussies qualify for 4x100m relay final

By Jon Ralph
Courier Mail
11 August 2012

FIRST Josh Ross delivered a roaring statement on the track, and then he let fly with another broadside at Australian selectors.

His sensational final leg for Australia's 4x100m relay team ensured they qualified for tomorrow morning’s final in a time of 38.17sec.

Ross was overlooked for the individual 100m field and is still shattered by yet another controversial decision by Athletics Australia.

The 31-year-old six-time national champion ripped into selectors today, confident he could have qualified for the 100m semi-finals and perhaps even the final against Usain Bolt and Co.

Set up beautifully by teammates Anthony Alozie, Isaac Ntiamoah and Andrew McCabe, Ross's anchor leg saw Australia finish fifth in its semi-final, then progress to the final as a fastest loser.

"I was running some guys down that were in the final and I ran right now and showed why I am called The Boss," Ross said.

"I will definitely use (the AA decision) as energy. That's why I have done my whole career. I would have come close (to the 100m final) without a doubt.

"I was tossing up whether I should even watch the 100m (races) on telly. It was hard being at (Australia's training camp in) Tonbridge and turning up to training the next day with a big boot in your guts but I am a man.

"I cop it on the chin. I am a professional and that showed tonight."

Asked if Athletics Australia might learn from its mistakes in London given his and Solomon's success, he replied: "They have been doing it for too long so who knows."

Ross has a personal best of 10.07 back in 2007, and ran a time of 10.23 in the Australian domestic season.

He did not meet the A qualifier of 10.18sec, but was already running the relay in London and proved his pace with a 10.23 run in shocking conditions only weeks ago in Italy.

Like 400m runner Steve Solomon, already running the 4x400m relay in London, he could easily have been included in an individual field.

AA chairman of selectors Dion Russell recently defended the non-selection of Ross, who at one stage was threatening to pull out of London altogether.

Ross's fury seems entirely justified, but it should not take the gloss off the brilliant run by the pair, who will not rule out a podium finish.

Ross was the headline act last night, but this Australian team has some men with fascinating stories.

Alozie, 25, was spotted by an athletics coach playing soccer in Nigeria, and after coming to Australia for the Commonwealth Games in 2006 decided to stay.

Townsville's Andrew McCabe, just 21, spent two years out of the sport with continued injuries, while Ross retired and at one stage attempted an NFL career.

Said McCabe: "I am 21 years old and an Olympic finalist already, so words can't describe how I feel at the moment. We are all in pretty good nick and Josh is in the best shape of his life."

Earlier Great Britain's exceptional time of 37.93sec meant nothing when it bungled the last changeover and were disqualified.

In the final swap Daniel Talbot handed the baton to Adem Gemili outside the mandated changeover zone, with Gemili in tears after the race.

"It's disappointing because we ran 37.9sec and that last changeover was sloppy, so we could have been in contention if we had made it. In a stadium like this it's hard to hear, 'hand', so I put my hand back waiting for it and waiting for it, and then it didn't come."

Jamaica finished second-fastest for the final behind America without Usain Bolt, with Yohan Blake confirming later that the dual gold medallist had pulled up well from his back injury and would race on Saturday night.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum