PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Olympic event: Walking Men

Olympic event: Walking Men

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Olympic event: Walking Men on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Walking should be removed not only from the Olympics but from Athletics altogether in my opinion. What a joke when the slo-mo shows all 4 leading walkers with both feet off the ground continuously. Jane Saville says she doesnt like the slo-mo up close and that judging is done with the naked eye. Clearly the officials are not looking close enough. It was obvious to see almost all "walkers" were doing anything but without the slo-mo particularly on the bends. It appears the way to win this event is to cheat and the winner is the one who best disguised cheating.
Mental note, another event not to watch again, that and trampolining, seriously trampolining???

2 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Good call, O/35er. Walk events are a relic of the past. The walks had their place in the last century, but for the 21st century the should be removed from the sport of track & field. I've heard walkers complain about slow motion replays that clearly show both feet off the ground, but they are simply in denial and are not thinking logically. Athletic enthusiasts treat the walks with disdain because of the subjective nature of the rules.

Either the walkers accept technology to weed out the cheats or the events are dropped from the sport.

The other thing too is that at the Olympic level, walks are out of stadium events, yet we have track walks as part of the summer interclub competition. Why?

3 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Sorry, I can't agree. I suspect that all walkers lift at some time in a race, but that does not mean that are deliberatly cheating. The other rule of walking is that the knee should be straight, this is much easier to judge. I would defy any walking judge to pick every instance of lifting, it's just not possible without the use of slomo replays.
Let's cut the walkers some slack otherwise we'll be asking for any non running event to be cut from the program.

4 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Any event where you can get disqualified for running should never exist in the first place.

5 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Blind Freddy could see the leaders are lifting, no need for the slow mo, especially on the bends.

6 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I don't like the observation that walkers are cheating. If we can accept that lifting will always occur, let's drop the lifting component and just judge on the the straight knee. Remember these guys train as hard or harder than most runners--give them a break!!
In case you are thinking that I'm a walker, sorry I ran 400s & 800s

7 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
roger pedrick wrote:I don't like the observation that walkers are cheating. If we can accept that lifting will always occur, let's drop the lifting component and just judge on the the straight knee. Remember these guys train as hard or harder than most runners--give them a break!!
In case you are thinking that I'm a walker, sorry I ran 400s & 800s

Training intensity does not equate to accuracy.

Chief Walk Referee:
"He has been caught lifting three times. We should disqualify him. But... he trains really hard, harder even than some of those lazy shot puters who travel less than two metres each throw, so... let's just ignore the rules, ok?"

Is that seriously what you're advocating? I didn't think so. Either you have rules for an event, or you don't. If walkers can't abide by the rules and tolerate being judged and evaluated on the rules, then that makes them just a particularly active hobby, not a sport.

8 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:42 pm

No, I'm suggesting that they drop the one rule that cannot be enforced, straight knee still maintains the essence of the event. Remember, up to the late 1930's a world record in 400m hurdles was not ratified if any hurdle was knocked down. Likewise starting blocks were not allowed until 1936 (I think), so rules can be modified.

9 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Maybe they should change the rules, maybe they should call it something else? I actually don't mind watching the walking but frustrating when its so obvious the front runners (pardon the punt) are clearly not competing within the rules of the sport.
I wonder if they had 3 times as many officials looking for lifting, allowing more red flags/cards? to be given whether there would be any competitors left in the race or would the walk finish times come down dramatically and actually be more like the time you would expect from walking.
I think most people watching the London 20km race would be saying the same thing, they're not walking, I can see both feet lifting. For the reputation of the sport something needs to change, 3min 45sec kms walking its a joke. At this rate they'll be doing a 4 min mile.
Its obviously hard work, just ask the guy that collapsed about 2kms from the finish.
I'll retract they are cheating, but I will say it would appear the only way they can go faster is to lift both feet, if its intentional then its cheating, unintentionally then its poor technique and poor training and more needs to be done to eliminate those that do either way.

10 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't disagree, and I suppose then we could look at BMX, synchronised swimming etc, they all train hard should they be part of the Olympics, it's a difficult decision. To be perfectly honest, I looked forward to the UK 7 mile track walk in the British champs because it gave us time to meet all our friends in the bar for a quick drink and catch up with friends!!

11 Re: Olympic event: Walking Men on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Its what its all about in the end.
So many "sports"???? shouldn't be in the Olympics. I have heard the reason for all of these "sports" is, more events more revenue for the OC.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum