PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Today at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Josh Ross - Should be in the 100m at the Olympics. See Facebook Page.

Josh Ross - Should be in the 100m at the Olympics. See Facebook Page.

Should Josh Ross run the individual 100m at the Olympic Games?

89% 89% [ 63 ]
11% 11% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 71

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BG

Is it just me or is anybody else confused and now irritated by the non-selection of Josh Ross for the individual 100m spot in London? His most recent run of 10.23 was entirely predictable and would amount to a quality Olympic campaign if allowed to run that time in London.

With a B qualifier (which was very, very close to an A qualifier), it came down to the discretion of selectors to determine if he would be running as an individual in London.

Now I am a Josh Ross fan, but on any view, the failure to exercise discretion here is incredible. I use the word "failure" deliberately , because I can't see how the selectors have not failed.

Consider that the guy retired from the sport and came back 12 months ago. What would any rational person think his progression in that time would look like? He'd struggle early, take a few races to get back to decent shape, start to put it together around nationals and peak when he was supposed to peak? This is exactly what has happened and, given the talent that his PB confirms he has, was always a chance of happening.

The point is, it was predictable, especially so after Nationals. The fact is, Nationals is when the selectors had confirmation that he was back in shape. Did they think he would not get faster from there?

It is not rocket science to expect that he would improve from his Nationals time. It should have been expected. Given that he was a bee's dick from an A qualifier, he didn't need to improve much to be pretty secure about a quality Olympic campaign. If you are not going to exercise discretion in these circumstances, when on earth will you?

I asked Josh when he was running in Adelaide what shape he thought he would get to for Nationals. He said he thought he'd get down to 10.2-something. In Adelaide, he ran 10.56, so there was work to do, not that there was a lot of assistance to do it. In Adelaide, as a 5 time national champion, Josh ran from lane 9 in the B race. Somebody, somewhere, decide he needed a monumental slap in the face?

So in Italy on the weekend he runs 10.23. Was anybody surprised by this? It is absolutely probable that he will run faster next week.

Any degree of attention to Josh's running career establishes at least 1 fact. He is a racer. He will lift for the occasion. Running 10.1 or 10.0 in London would be a completely reasonable expectation.

Is the explanation for his non-selection that he dropped his bundle at a previous international competition and that he might do it again? It can't be because "we won't waste the tax payer's money" becuase they are taking him anyway.

Josh may not be everybody's cup of tea, and there have certainly been no favours to him, but I can't see that the selectors have shown even a modicum of faith in his ability.

If there was ever a case for discretion, this is it. Next week there will be an Australian athlete at an Olympic Games, who, given the chance to run, would not surprise at all if he made the semi finals of the biggest event of the Games. We won't know whether he would or not, because he'll be sitting in the stands while the 100m heats are on.

Incredible.

BG

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Yea I'll go ahead and agree. I'm not passionate about the subject or anything but I can't see how it would have hurt our team or sport to have him at least try and represent us in the 100m. Even if he runs a 10.3 that's not exactly embarrassing on the world stage but I suppose AA thinks it is. I definitely believe Australians would much rather see an Aussie in the 100m when they turn on the TV to watch some Olympics than a bunch of people they know nothing about.

I really don't see how AA can have this elite image of Australia and athletics in their mind thus raising standards and not selecting people on the edge. It's not like anyone knows Australia for their track and field as it is right now.

For me the bottom line is selecting someone like Josh could only serve to help our cause, not hurt it, so it makes no sense to leave him out.

Admin

Admin
Admin
In the words of Simon Crowley - It's a 'Yes' from me.

No-brainer really. 10.23 is good enough for him to be competitive for at least the first round and possibly beyond.

Maybe we can start up a social media campaign -

"Let Josh Ross run the Olympic 100m" (or something catchier...)

Start a facebook page and get a petition going....I reckon we'd have 1000 hits in a few days.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Agreed, Youngy.

If it's good enough for them to include Solomon in the individual 400, or for Eric to list Steffensen as an alternate name, based on the fact that they have B qualifiers and are already in the team, then there is no reason - none - to justify excluding someone from an individual berth when they already have a relay position.

I know that in the past people have been denied individual spots not secured with two A qualifiers, such as when their events were too close to or have clashed with relays, eg. Tamsyn Manou at World Champs 2011 with the 4x400 and 800m. However, for Ross the individual and relay events bookend the program. Not a huge Josh Ross fan but that's irrelevant. This is utter crap!

The Australian Olympic selection process has always had me scratching my head.

6 FaceBook Page on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
https://www.facebook.com/LetJoshRossRunTheOlympic100m

admin said:

Maybe we can start up a social media campaign -
"Let Josh Ross run the Olympic 100m" (or something catchier...)
Start a facebook page and get a petition going....I reckon we'd have 1000 hits in a few days.

Okay, let's go.

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
after 12 hours,
the FaceBook page has 15 likes ....
and some excellent comments

Admin

Admin
Admin
Anyone have a twitter account with loads of followers?

Be good to get it out there on as much social media as possible.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/the-fastest-man-youve-never-heard-of/283/

Great article about Josh Ross and the tough road he's walked to get to where he is today.

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
after 16 hours,
the FaceBook page has 30 likes ....
and some more excellent comments

upto 77 now, this needs more media awareness, needs to be on today tonight or something

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
after 24 hours,
the FaceBook page has 150 likes ....
and a very useful plug on the Stawell Gift FaceBook page

youngy

Admin
Admin
Just for the record, Josh Ross has had nothing to do with this. This is a group of people acting in the best interests of the sport. We want to see Australia's number one 100m athlete in the heats of the 100m.

If you want to help - direct people to the facebook page.

Momentum is building.......

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/athletics-london-2012/ross-threatens-olympic-walkout-20120725-22ppm.html#ixzz21c2Z8wm6

Ross threatens Olympic walkout

By Daniel Lane
Sydney Morning Herald
Date July 25, 2012

Josh Ross ... "All I wanted is an answer, a simple answer." Photo: Getty Images

Sprinter Josh Ross is warning the Australian Olympic Committee he will abandon the London Games if he does not receive a legitimate explanation for the reason behind his federation failing to nominate him to race in the 100 metres individual event.

Ross, who is a member of Australia's 4x100m relay team, is eligible to compete in the Olympics blue riband event because he clocked 10:23 seconds – a B-qualifying standard time – at the nationals earlier this year and at a recent meet in Europe.

I've been trying to get answers but because it's always being hand-balled to other people it's been difficult to find a straight answer

However, he has reached breaking point after Athletics Australia officials would not tell him why he was overlooked. Melissa Breen was nominated for the women's 100m after she ran a B-standard time and selectors will soon choose between fellow B-qualifiers Steve Solomon and John Steffensen to compete in the 400m event.

“I'm actually thinking about pulling out all together if I don't get answers,” Ross said. “I'll actually be happy to pull out if I don't get answers to why I wasn't nominated for the 100m.”

Ross said he was committed to sacrificing his place at the Olympics and would “have to” live with what many people would consider an extreme action because – after coming out of retirement and giving his all to represent Australia at London – he has felt a distinct lack of respect from his sport's officialdom.

“All I wanted is an answer, a simple answer,” he said. “I'm doing this because I haven't got any answers personally. I've been trying to get answers but because it's always being hand-balled to other people it's been difficult to find a straight answer. The strangest thing of all is I'm trying to find out why they nominated Steve Solomon and John Steffensen to run but didn't want to nominate me.

“Am I not good enough? Am I not good enough to them to run the 100m when I have proven time and time again that Josh Ross always comes through with the goods . . . 'Am I not good enough to be nominated?' That is the big question – although it is a strange question.”

Ross believed such a stance was required to ultimately improve the lot for Australia's athletes. He could not understand why his federation would not nominate the likes of himself or Tamsyn Manou (nee Lewis), a triple Olympian and former world indoor champion who was not even selected for the team despite posting a B-qualifier for the 800m .

Great Britain has nominated athletes who have run B-qualifying times in the men's 100m and women's 800m.

“There is a bigger picture than just me not running or Tamsyn and whoever else,” Ross said. “You have to look at the future of the sport, the up-and-coming athletes. We have the best 400m sprinter [Steffensen] that we've ever seen on the team and he's not [picked yet]; we have our best 100m sprinter and he's not making it ... the younger athletes must be thinking 'if they're not making it what hope do I have?' I think it is time to fix athletics in this country and [for the officials] to do things the right way.

“If we don't speak up now and make stands to change the sport it will never happen, I just want you to know this is [the reason for] my stand.”

Ross said the chance for him to compete against Jamaica's world champion Usain Bolt, history's fastest man, would perhaps help AA to inspire youngsters to remain in a sport that constantly loses its best prospects to the football codes.

“Australians want to see Australians compete,” he said. “The fact is I'm here in London [where I'm being accommodated, clothed and fed] so why not let me run?”

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Josh was going OK until he said We have the best 400 metre runner ever seen on the team - Steffensen!
WTF?
Darren Clark is the best ever by a country mile.

youngy

Admin
Admin
The only Australian to win an Olympic medal in the men's 100m is Hec Hogan in Melbourne (1956) when he won the bronze medal. Since 1956 Australia has had 18 representatives in the men's 100m at the Olympic Games.

The fastest an Australian has run at the Olympics is Matt Shirvington (Sydney, 2000) who ran 10.13 in a quarter final before running 10.26 in the semi final. Shirvo was 10th out of a field of 99 athletes.

Josh Ross ran 10.24 (heat) and 10.22 (quarter final) in Athens in 2004 to finish 19th overall from a field of 84 athletes. Josh is the second fastest behind Shirvo but more importantly he has the second and third fastest times ever by an Aussie at the Olympics. He is also the fastest ever at an 'away' Olympics.

Fastest Aussies at an Olympic Games. (<10.70)
10.13 (+0.8.) Matt Shirvington (Sydney 2000)
10.22 (-0.1) Josh Ross (Athens 2004)
10.24 (+0.9) Josh Ross (Athens 2004)
10.26 (+0.2) Matt Shirvington (Sydney 2000)
10.31 (-0.6) Patrick Johnson (Sydney 2000)
10.35 (-1.0) Matt Shirvington (Sydney 2000)
10.35 (+5.3) Bob Lay (Tokyo 1964)
10.42 (+1.8.) Bob Lay (Tokyo 1964)
10.44 (+0.2) Patrick Johnson (Sydney 2000)
10.52 (+0.3) Paul DiBella (Sydney 2000)
10.52 (+2.0) Paul Henderson (Atlanta 1996)
10.52 (+0.8.) Peter Van Miltenberg (Los Angeles 1984)
10.53 (+0.2) Bob Lay (Tokyo 1964)
10.55 (-0.8.) Paul Narracott (Los Angeles 1984)
10.55 (-0.4) Peter Van Miltenberg (Los Angeles 1984)
10.55 (0.0) Greg Lewis (Mexico City 1968)
10.56 (+0.3) Rod Mapstone (Atlanta 1996)
10.60 (-0.7) Paul Narracott (Los Angeles 1984)
10.60 (+1.9) Bill Earle (Tokyo 1964)
10.61 (-0.8.) Fred Martin (Los Angeles 1984)
10.62 (-1.1) Hec Hogan (Melbourne 1956)
10.64 (+0.8.) Fred Martin (Los Angeles 1984)
10.69 (+0.2) Gary Holdsworth (Tokyo 1964)

It's probably fair to say that outside of Matt Shirvington in 2000, Josh Ross is going into these Olympics in the best form of any Australian 100m athlete in Olympic history. Yet he's being denied a chance to run in the heats. The more you look into it the more realise that there's more to this than him simply not running the A standard.

youngy

Admin
Admin
Just one other thing, it's interesting that one of the selectors denying Josh a chance to run is Peter Fitzgerald who ran in the individual 100m at the Olympics in 1976, running 10.87 in his heat.

Fitzgerald should count himself very lucky to call himself an Olympian because by the standards he's applied to Josh, he should not have been there.

BG

Well, looks like the story has come to a head overnight. The official Australian team response? "You should have appealed, get over it."

Yes, Josh should have appealed. That is, until that same expectation was waived for other athletes. Now, you are treating Josh differently to others and the short and very simple point is, you need to explain why. Until that explanation is given, there is no credibility to the non-selection.

In addition to Youngy's most recent post, and this has been my point all along, Josh is in shape and will, in all likelihood, run faster next week. Would anybody be really surprised now, if he came out and ran a PB? Would he find a metre on his current form if allowed to run at the Olympics? I for one expect that he would. If he does, he makes the semis.

An ironic point is that Josh was inspired to run when he watched the 2000 Olympics on tv. Shirvington made the semi finals at those Games. It is a very easy thing to do to provide the same inspiration to the next generation of Australian sprinters. It is also the right thing to do.

Instead, our team shifts the goal posts and tells Ross he should have appealed. That is not leadership and it is not credible. It is embarrassing.

BG

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
The FaceBook page started late Monday night, now on Thursday morning we have over 300 "likes" on the FaceBook page ...

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.gpro.net/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=20497&PostId=2447917

The above link is to a site that has a competition going in respect to the men's 100m. The administrator has grouped the athletes into a time range based on their PB. There appears to be 85 starters - about 75% of them with PB's inferior to Josh Ross (10.08). Many in the second group are not running in PB shape, therefore would be outside the A qualifier (10.18). At a guess, I'd say less than a third of athletes competing in these Games have run faster than Josh's 10.23 (Italy last week) going into the Games.

TIER 1 : PB 9.50-9.99
(A) JAM Usain BOLT
(B) JAM Yohan BLAKE
(B) JAM Asafa POWELL
(B) USA Tyson GAY
(B) USA Justin GATLIN
[C] USA Ryan BAILEY
[C] TRI Richard THOMPSON
[C] TRI Keston BLEDMAN
[C] JAM Michael FRATER
[D] BAH Derrick ATKINS
[D] ANT Daniel BAILEY
[D] SKN Kim COLLINS
[D] GBR Dwain CHAMBERS
[D] FRA Christophe LEMAITRE
[E] NED Churandy MARTINA
[E] ZIM Ngonidzashe MAKUSHA
[E] TRI Marc BURNS
[E] CAY Kemar HYMAN
[E] NOR Jaysuma SAIDY NDURE

TIER 2 : PB 10.00-10.19
(A) GBR Adam GEMILI
(A) TRI Rondel SORRILLO
(B) SKN Jason ROGERS
(B) NGR Ogho-Oghene EGWERO
(B) FRA Jimmy VICAUT
(B) JPN Masashi ERIGUCHI
[C] JPN Ryota YAMAGATA
[C] GBR James DASAOLU
[C] PAN Alonso EDWARD
[C] SKN Antoine ADAMS
[C] CIV Ben Youssef MEITE
[C] ZAM Gerald PHIRI
[D] MAR Aziz OUHADI
[D] EGY Amr Ibrahim Mostafa SEOUD
[D] NGR Obinna METU
[D] NGR Peter EMELIEZE
[D] BAH Warren FRASER
[D] BAR Ramon GITTENS
[D] SKN Brijesh LAWRENCE
[D] CAN Justyn WARNER
[E] CMR Idrissa ADAM
[E] GUY Jeremy BASCOM
[E] CHN Bingtian SU
[E] OMA Barakat Mubarak AL-HARTHI
[E] BRA Nilson ANDRE
[E] ESP Angel David RODRIGUEZ
[E] POL Dariusz KUC
[E] EST Marek NIIT
[E] LAT Ronalds ARAJS
[E] LTU Rytis SAKALAUSKAS

TIER 3 : PB 10.20-10.49
(A) GAM Suwaibou SANNEH
(A) DOM Carlos JORGE
(B) PUR Miguel LOPEZ
(B) COL Isidro MONTOYA
[C] GRN Paul WILLIAMS
[C] IRI Reza GHASEMI
[C] CHA Abdouraim HAROUN
[C] BUR Gerard KOBEANE
[D] GBS Holder DA SILVA
[D] GAB Wilfried BINGANGOYE
[E] CAF Berenger Aymard BOSSE
[E] BOL Artur Bruno ROJAS

TIER 4 : PB 10.50-10.99
(A) MRI Fabrice COIFFIC
(A) CGO Devilert Arsene KIMBEMBE
(B) PAK Liaqat ALI
(B) MLT Rachid CHOUHAL
[C] SUR Jurgen THEMEN
[C] SIN Foo Ee YEO
[C] INA Fernando LUMAIN
[D] SOL Chris Meke WALASI
[D] IVB J'maal ALEXANDER
[E] FSM John HOWARD
[E] TGA Joseph Andy LUI

TIER 5 : PB 11.00-...,
(A) NEP Tilak Ram THARU
(B) VIN Courtney Carl WILLIAMS
(B) AFG Massoud AZIZI
[C] LAO Kilakone SIPHONEXAY
[C] BAN Mohan KHAN
[C] PLW Rodman TELTULL
[C] MDV Azneem AHMED
[D] STP Christopher LIMA DA COSTA
[D] KIR Nooa TAKOOA
[D] COK Patrick TUARA
[D] TUV Tavevele NOA
[E] ASA Elama FA’ATONU
[E] MHL Timi GARSTANG

Trackstar

BG wrote:Well, looks like the story has come to a head overnight. The official Australian team response? "You should have appealed, get over it."

Yes, Josh should have appealed. That is, until that same expectation was waived for other athletes. Now, you are treating Josh differently to others and the short and very simple point is, you need to explain why. Until that explanation is given, there is no credibility to the non-selection.

In addition to Youngy's most recent post, and this has been my point all along, Josh is in shape and will, in all likelihood, run faster next week. Would anybody be really surprised now, if he came out and ran a PB? Would he find a metre on his current form if allowed to run at the Olympics? I for one expect that he would. If he does, he makes the semis.

An ironic point is that Josh was inspired to run when he watched the 2000 Olympics on tv. Shirvington made the semi finals at those Games. It is a very easy thing to do to provide the same inspiration to the next generation of Australian sprinters. It is also the right thing to do.

Instead, our team shifts the goal posts and tells Ross he should have appealed. That is not leadership and it is not credible. It is embarrassing.

BG

Well said BG.
So lets get this straight.
In Australia, if a sprinter is capable of running 10.23, even 10.20, he's no longer good enough to be selected for the Olympics unless he can find four buddies to qualify for a relay. Even when the sprinter has a PB of 10.08.
In other words, AA says don't take up the 100 metres kids, stick to footy.

I dont understand why AA would send 4 athletes for the 4 x 100m that dont meet the 100m individual A qualifier time, but wont allow one of those athletes to run the individual 100m. And what are we talking about all of 5/100's, the stupidity of AA selectors.
The AA handling of the selection process has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Go out into the streets and ask your everyday person who dont normally follow athletics to name 5 Track and Field athletes competing at the Olympics, they will name Pearson,Stefferson,Hooker,Ross and Manou.
Only two of these athletes look like competing.
Athletics Australia have to realise that its not all about gold medals and that Steffersen,Manou and Ross would promote athletics in Aust just as much by simply making the Semifinals.
Just need to probably go to a Classic meeting in Aust and see who the autograph hunters go for.

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Way I see it is there's 2 possible outcomes here:

Don't select Josh to run the 100m and you have a bunch of disappointed people including Josh himself, the athletics fans and quite likely the team too. We never know what could have been and probably claim another victim to the sport. AA in this scenario cops a fair bit of hate from athletes and fans alike. In short, it's a lose/lose for everyone involved.

Or

Select Josh for the 100m, making a happy athlete, team and fans. It costs nothing since he's already there and he now has the chance to back up his claims and if he does, Australia is excited to have done well while AA look like heroes for using their superior knowledge and expertise to overcome the qualifying standard and choose him - pats on the back and handshakes all round at the AA office. If he doesn't back up and runs slower than recent form would suggest, the only person to look bad would be Josh, due to his claims otherwise. AA simply look compassionate and like they're willing to have a go, they will ofcourse spare a moment to glare in Josh's direction though. It's a win/win for everyone.

AA has nothing to lose and everything to gain from selecting Josh to run. One would think this was a no brainer.

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
1- We want Josh Ross to be ready to run

2- We want Athletics Australia to do their best to get Josh Ross in as a last minute entry to the individual 100m race

3- We want the Olympics mob to allow Josh Ross in as a last minute entry to the individual 100m race

4- We want Josh Ross to break 10 secs

---------------------------------
Men's 100m starts on Saturday, August 4 - just 8 days away ...

the FaceBook page was launched late at night Monday 23rd July 2012, just 3 and a half days ago

- 340 "likes" after just 84 hours

- keep spreading the word, good people ...

- please share this page

- also please share your ideas about what to do ...

- does anyone have any ideas how and where to apply pressure?

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
MY ADVICE TO JOSH ROSS

Lleyton Hewitt is ranked well outside the top hundred in the world and I mean well out ,something like 140 or 150.
Hes competing as an individual and you are not.
Maybe you should consider taking up tennis as the tennis selectors have filled spots with our best not those that need to final.
At least we have representation.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum