PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube

1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks to Todd Ireland we've got some footage of the 1991 Burnie Gift won By Dean Capobianco on YouTube. Not the best film that has deteriorated with age from an old VHS tape, but nonetheless at least it is something and you can get an appreciation how good the run was. 11.9s off scratch!

2 Re: 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 am

biggiesmalls

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
How good was his pick up in the last 20m

Gobbled them up!

3 Re: 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 pm

NBAblues

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Thanks Todd for posting this up, we heard alot about this race with Curtin athletes finishing 1,2 & 3 but never seen it.
Probably this best finish to a gift I've ever seen.
Funny watching POD celebrating in yellow after the race, as he thought he'd won!

http://www.NBAblues.com

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Sharky you need to consider like with like I’m not referring to backmarker or scratch or championship races I’m referring to major gift finals.

It is my opinion and I don’t make the comments lightly. I’m just adding another perspective, and as I witnessed that race in Burnie in 1991 I have form that view...if you were there you would never forget the experience. ..you obviously were not there.....I definitely have not seen anything since to match it. The only other experience where I have felt the same atmosphere and disbelief was when Ross won Stawell from Scratch. And I think it is a creditable view as do many others. I do often wish that athletics in Australian was as strong now as it was then and even back to the 1920’s

Yes I am not alone

This is how the race was described by Noel Hussey the 1964 Stawell Gift Winner ..... “the greatest Australian sprint race....I doubt we‘ve ever seen two scratch runners of the calibre in one field."

And Michael Stevens described it like this.... “Capobianco’s win will long be talked about as the greatest sprint performances in professional running. He lined up in the classiest of Fields. Beside him on scratch was the bald-headed Naylor, (National Champion) confident that he could win his third Burnie Gift Final. Australian Commonwealth and Olympic representative Robert Ballarat started on 2.5m. O’Dwyer , a former Stawell Gift finalist and Collins off 3m......Capobiancos’ time of 11.90 seconds which in old terms is the equivalent to running between 11 and 12 yards inside even.. He becomes the fastest man to run the 120m sprint in the 104-year history of the New Years Day carnival. ..he beat the national sprint champion from scratch.”

Sue Bugg states...”Capobianco’s win, from a Burnie Gift Field experts agree was the best ever gift final assembled”

TAL Handicapper Mike McKenna said ......”.the field contained the greatest depth of backmarker in the Gifts history.....I have no doubt that yesterday’s Burnie Final was the best sprint race ever run in Tasmania and ......Australia.”

The 1991 Burnie Final was
Naylor (Scr)
Capobianco (Scr)
Ballard (2.5)
O’Dwyer (2.75)
Collins (3.25)
Potter (8.5)
Two National Champions Three Olympians and O'Dwyer. We all now know what Naylor, Capobianco, Ballard, O’Dwyer and Potter went on to do and what Ballard and O’Dwyer are still doing 20 years on.

5 Re: 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Great post, 'Fast'. Some terrific comments from those who were privileged enough to be in Burnie in 1991.

I missed Burnie that year, so from a personal perspective the 1981 Stawell Gift is still the best Gift I've seen for depth. Bear in mind the marks were lifted in 1981, by an average of 1.50m. Still we had four athletes on 4.0m or less. The win by George McNeil at 34, off 4.0m in 11.9 in a field of over 300 athletes was the stuff of legend......

But the evidence is compelling that for a major Gift to have this quality in a final, Burnie 1991 is the greatest major Gift final of all time. Cappo has come from last at about the 40m mark to storm home in 11.9. Extraordinary!

6 Re: 1991 Burnie Gift on YouTube on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 am

Trackstar

Fast wrote:
The 1991 Burnie Final was
Naylor (Scr)
Capobianco (Scr)
Ballard (2.5)
O’Dwyer (2.75)
Collins (3.25)
Potter (8.5)
Two National Champions Three Olympians and O'Dwyer. We all now know what Naylor, Capobianco, Ballard, O’Dwyer and Potter went on to do and what Ballard and O’Dwyer are still doing 20 years on.

TWO Olympians for three Olympics. Ballard went to Seoul, Capobianco went to Barcelona and Atlanta.
Naylor never went to the Olympics. Naylor went to two Commonwealth Games, two World Cups and a World Champs. Naylor was National champion four times in the 100m.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum