PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Blake runs 9.85 while Melissa Breen runs 11.27 PB (A Qualifier!!!)

Blake runs 9.85 while Melissa Breen runs 11.27 PB (A Qualifier!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-18/blake-lays-down-marker-for-bolt/4137544?section=olympics

Blake lays down marker for Bolt

ABC News
July 18, 2012

Photo: Hot form ... Yohan Blake (AFP/Belga: Eric Lalmand, File photo)

World 100 metres champion Yohan Blake again applied the pressure on Usain Bolt in the lead-up to the London Olympics by clocking 9.85 seconds to win at a meeting in Lucerne.

Blake, making his first appearance since beating Olympic 100 and 200 champion Bolt over both distances at the Jamaican trials in late June and early July, burst clear in the final 30 metres to win easily on a warm and sunny evening in the Swiss city.

Jamaica's Michael Frater was second in 10.00 with Trinidad and Tobago's Marc Burns - given the same time - in third place.

Blake shocked training partner and world record holder Bolt with an emphatic win in the 100m at the Jamaican trials in Kingston, following up with an even more impressive performance in the 200m.

The 22-year-old won the world 100m title in Daegu last year, a race notable for the absence of Bolt, who was disqualified for a false start.

Jamaica appears to have unearthed another sprint sensation in little-known 21-year-old Jason Young, who clocked the third fastest 200m of the year by winning in 19.86, smashing his lifetime best of 20.42 by over half a second.

Only Blake (19.80) and Bolt (19.83) have gone quicker in 2012.

American Kellie Wells, who inflicted a first defeat of the season on Australia's world 100 metres hurdles champion and Olympic favourite Sally Pearson in London last weekend, failed to follow up after finishing third behind compatriot Ginnie Crawford.

Wells (12.79) lost momentum after hitting the second hurdle and could not recover as Crawford won in 12.61, ahead of Turkey's European champion Nevin Yanit (12.73).

Jamaican Sheri-Ann Brooks (11.12) just pipped Trinidad and Tobago's Kelly-Ann Baptiste (11.13), the world bronze medallist, to win the 100m.

Australia's Melissa Breen finished second in her heat of the 100m, running a personal best of 11.27.

Breen's training partner Lauren Boden ran 56.98 to claim seventh place in the women's 400m hurdles and Alana Boyd was second in the pole vault with a clearance of 4.51m.

World championships finalist Kim Mickle was third in the women's javelin with a best throw of 60.97m.

Meanwhile, Australia's contingent at the Lignano Sabbiadoro meeting in Italy gave a good account of themselves with Jeff Riseley impressing with a personal best in the 800m.

Riseley placed second behind Kenya's Job Kinyor, running a time of 1:44.48, while fellow Australian Lachlan Renshaw was seventh in 1:45.75.

Henry Frayne won the men's long jump with a leap of 7.80m.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/news/2012/july/personal_bests_for_breen_and_r

Personal Bests for Breen and Riseley

AA Website

There were personal bests for both Melissa Breen (ACT) in the 100m and Jeffrey Riseley (Vic) in the 800m on Tuesday night in Europe.

Breen finished second to Tiffany Townsend (USA) in Lucerne (SUI). Her time of 11.27 (wind: +2.0m/s) was three-hundredths faster than her previous best set in Japan in April.

The double national champion said: “I had an awesome warm-up today, I felt really relaxed and excited to run. I’ve had a few up and down meets since being in Europe, some have been really windy and I’ve run okay while others I’ve had headwinds and not been so fast.

“Today I felt really good. It’s the third time I’ve been here so I felt relaxed nothing was new or scary.

“I remember thinking about reacting to the gun, that’s something Sal’s (Pearson) taught me. She told me not to overthink things too much, just know that you have to react and your body will know what to do. She told me ‘just listen for that gun and when it goes you go like there’s no tomorrow.’ So for that, Sal, thanks.

“I felt I got out well, I don’t remember much of the race I just remember crossing the finishing line and thinking surely I’m under 11.30. When I saw the time I didn’t know what the wind was, I hoped it was legal and it was.

“I think it’s about time I had some luck with the wind. I had a few tears, I was very happy. It’s pretty amazing.”

“This is the best prep I could ever have thought of. To run a PB in Europe is awesome. Two or three years ago in Europe I struggled severely with running fast or running well at all so I guess this is testimony as to how far Matt(Beckenham – coach) and I have come in the last five years.

“We’ve come to Europe, I’m going to the Olympics and I’ve run a PB. Life’s pretty awesome right now.”

Riseley finished in second place in 1:44.48 at the Lignano Sabbiadoro Meeting (ITA)behind Kenya’s Job Kinyor (1:44.39). It is the first time the Australian Olympian has dipped under the 1:45.00 mark this season beating his previous season’s best by over one second.

Lachlan Renshaw (NSW) finished seventh in the same race in a season’s best of 1:45.75. Meanwhile also in Lignano Sabbiadoro, Henry Frayne (Qld) won the men’s long jump with a best of 7.80m (wind: +0.5m/s).

Also in Lucerne with Breen was Lauren Boden (ACT), who clocked 56.98 in the 400mH to finish in seventh, while in the field Alana Boyd’s (WA) 4.51m was enough for second in the pole vault where Kate Dennison (GBR) won with 4.56m.

Kim Mickle’s (WA) best of 60.97m in the javelin secured third place for the world championship finalist, which follows her season’s best at the London Diamond League last Friday

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
First Blake takes half a second off his 200m in the sub 20 second region and now this new guy, with Jamaica also having the top 3 200m runners in the world this year. Either they truly have far superior training methods and genetics or something more is going on.

On a less witch hunting note, amazing time from Jeff Riseley, I have quite a few Aussies to look out for when watching the athletics at the Olympics now. Great to see Mel run the A qualifier and solidify her selection for the individual 100m.

Trackstar

Breen's PB is a great reward for her persistence and determination. Good work! Congrats to her and coach Beckenham.

Daniel

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
[quote="Running Man"]First Blake takes half a second off his 200m in the sub 20 second region?

Blake is the youngest athlete to break 10sec. If anyone caught sbs last night, watching blake beat bolt out of the blocks at training plus knowing he is capable of 19.26 over 200m, puts his 100m pb as probably behind what he maybe capable of.

Must be the coconut water.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum