PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Today at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tamsyn: They don't want me there

Tamsyn: They don't want me there

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tamsyn: They don't want me there on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/london-olympics/tamsyn-they-dont-want-me-there/story-fn9dhvy9-1226421641893

Tamsyn: They don't want me there

by: Steve Larkin
Adelaide Now
July 09, 2012

OLYMPIC outcast Tamsyn Manou says her bitter fight to run in London feels futile as Australia's campaign strikes another selection snag.

As separate claims of bias unsettle equestrian circles, Manou says Australian officials prefer to have no runner in her 800m event than to give her a chance at this month's London Games.

Manou, the 10-time 800m national champion, failed to log an automatic qualifying time in a European race at the weekend - her last chance to book an Olympic berth.

Test your Games knowledge with our Trivialympics game

But the 33-year-old is considering appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the same over-arching body involved in Australia's unseemly equestrian selection spat.

Manou cites her national title-holder status and clocking a B qualifying time as basis for making a fourth Olympics, but concedes winning any appeal "seems futile".

"I need an absolute miracle," Manou wrote on Twitter on Monday.

"Have a time that could get me in, won trials, but AA (Athletics Australia) have tougher selection than IAAF."

In other posts, Manou wrote: "AA would prefer no 8 (800m) runner than give me a chance ... glad I supported them domestically for 20 years" and "unfortunately I'm relying on people who don't seem to want a full team of sprinters/mid runners".

Manou needed a time inside 1min 59.90sec in Belgium on Saturday but finished in 2:01.51. She has not run below two minutes in four years.

Statistics say Aussie medal tally will dip

But, like dressage rider Hayley Beresford, Manou seems set on a last-ditch appeal to CAS.

Beresford lost her CAS appeal after being overlooked for the dressage team, claiming bias resulted in the selection of Kristy Oatley - the granddaughter of wealthy equestrian benefactor Bob Oatley.

Oatley, who in Sydney a dozen years ago finished ninth as Australia's best Olympic individual dressage result, was named alongside her cousin Lyndal Oatley and medal prospect Edwina Tops-Alexander.

Beresford claimed Kristy Oatley was afforded greater chances to make the team.

There have also been claims of bribery, intimidation and personality clashes in the shaping of other sections of Australia's Olympic team.

Weightlifter Daniel Koum is accused of demanding a $5000 bribe to lift at an event in Samoa, knowing if he didn't Australia wouldn't qualify any lifters for London. Mike Keelan, the coach who said he paid Koum, was sacked a month out from the Games.

And archer Odette Snazelle applied for an interim violence order against the father of Elisa Barnard, a rival for an Olympic spot.

Snazelle accused Barnard's father of intimidation at selection events, but the AVO was dismissed in court. Barnard was selected for London, while Snazelle missed.

Rower Pippa Savage also protested being tossed out of the women's quad sculls boat after continual clashes with crewmates.

The 31-year-old was reinstated as a reserve on appeal, but will only make the London Games if another rower gets sick or injured.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Tamsyn: They don't want me there on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:19 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/07/12/tamsyn-manou-dines-out-on-past-glories/

Tamsyn Manou dines out on past glories

By Jocelyn McLennan,
The Roar
12 Jul 2012

I feel I am about the only athlete in Australia not to have launched an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport regarding my non Olympic selection.

Considering my current personal best for the 100 metre sprint could be timed with a sun dial and for anything longer using a calendar, I don’t really have an argument for my case.

However, it seems that qualifying standards are just a rough guide according to some competitors. Tamsyn Manou nee Lewis seems to dining out on past glories to gain a spot in the Olympic team.

Not having run a time under two minutes for two years, you would have to agree with the selectors. Yes, she is a former indoor world champion and yes she has won numerous national titles, but if you have little prospect than finishing way down the pack in the first round there hardly seems much point.

Considering the cost to Australian tax payers and the AOC to send the team to London, you would hope they are of some chance of at least making semi finals as it hardly seems worth it from a financial viability point of view even if it does mean that we do not have competitors in a lot of events.

Yes, Merlene Ottey did not qualify either for Slovenia, as she would struggle to make is past the first round, but she did not whinge to all and sundry about her past glories to gain selection to her eighth Olympics.

Manou’s attitude is starting to sound reminiscent of Pat Cash who, many years after his one grand slam win at Wimbledon, was still demanding wild cards to enter tournaments even though his form and ranking gave little assurance to tournament directors that he would make it past the first round.

By gaining a wildcard he was guaranteeing himself a first round pay cheque and, most times, ranking points.

You could agree with Manou if she was coming back from injury and her times were on the way down to very close to the mark to be granted a waiver and be selected, but alas, they are not.

Considering the times that the top ranked runners like Pamela Jelimo are currently setting, Manou would be finishing a good fifty metres behind them. Ranked outside the top eighty in the world at the moment, with a time set in February, there seems little justification for her non-selection appeal apart from the national champion plea.

However, if all countries were to have a competitor just for that reason, then there could be in excess of 200 competitors for each event! Most runners would have to race up to ten times to make the final. By then they would be lucky to be standing let alone running.

I think common sense has prevailed in this case with Manou. Yes, I missed selection too, for the sheer utter reason that I am not good enough anymore.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

3 Re: Tamsyn: They don't want me there on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:56 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Admin wrote:
However, if all countries were to have a competitor just for that reason, then there could be in excess of 200 competitors for each event! Most runners would have to race up to ten times to make the final. By then they would be lucky to be standing let alone running.

Typical piss-weak argument from someone without a clue. One only need look at the UK Women's 800 situation to appreciate why it's daft.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum