PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Aidan O'Brien sorry for stuffing up with So You Think

Aidan O'Brien sorry for stuffing up with So You Think

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/so-you-think-wins-prince-of-waless-stakes/story-fn67siys-1226404765082

Aidan O'Brien sorry for stuffing up with So You Think

by: Ray Thomas at Ascot
News Limited newspapers
June 22, 2012

IRISH trainer Aidan O'Brien has made an extraordinary apology to Australian race fans for "getting it wrong" with So You Think.

O'Brien's admission came after So You Think proved his champion qualities with a redeeming win in the Group 1 Prince of Wales's Stakes (2000m) at Royal Ascot.

So You Think, a dual Cox Plate winner when trained by Bart Cummings, had gone to O'Brien's stables 18 months ago with the reputation of a world-beater.

But despite winning three Group 1 races in Europe last year, his halo had slipped. O'Brien blamed himself for So You Think failing to maintain his dominant Australian form.

"We have had him a year and a half and it has taken me a year and a half to learn how to train him," O'Brien said.

"We're just pleased now to have him in a place where everyone in Australia said he was. He's one of those special horses and I'd like to say sorry to all the Australian people that I've made such a mess of it for so long."

O'Brien said he had been aware of the criticism from Down Under and had been prepared to learn from his mistakes.

"We were rightly getting a fair hammering from people in Australia, but we needed to pull our socks up," he said.

"We went back, we listened to everybody, including all the interviews, and what Bart was saying about him - the things to do and things not to do."

It was the So You Think of old as the $1.80 favourite claimed the 10th Group 1 win of his career, defeating the Queen's horse, Carlton House, by 2 1/2 lengths.

So You Think could now be set for a showdown with Frankel in the 2000m Eclipse Stakes at Sandown, England, next month. That is likely to be his last race before going to stud in Australia.

Cummings felt So You Think needed to put on more condition and it was advice O'Brien took on board.

"I was delighted to hear (Bart's comments) because he was speaking from the heart and I was probably over-working the horse and galloping the speed out of him," O'Brien said.

Measure of the man when he can admit his mistakes acknowledge where he went wrong and apologise for it. I guess that's why Aidan O'Brien is held in such great regard in the horse racing industry.

mmmmmmm, Hard to see too many 'trainers' in our sport acknowledge they've fucked up what was once was a class athlete under a former trainer and be prepared to apologise for it.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum