PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad

Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

biggiesmalls

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
MEN (34):
800m: Jeff Riseley (Vic)
1500m: Ryan Gregson (NSW), Jeff Riseley (Vic)
5000m: Collis Birmingham (Vic), David McNeill (Vic), Craig Mottram (Vic)
10,000m: Ben St Lawrence (NSW)
Marathon: Martin Dent (ACT), Jeff Hunt (NSW), Michael Shelley (Qld)
3000m steeplechase: Youcef Abdi (NSW)
400m hurdles: Brendan Cole (ACT), Tristan Thomas (Tas)
20km walk: Chris Erickson (Vic), Adam Rutter (NSW), Jared Tallent (Vic)
50km walk: Luke Adams (NSW), Nathan Deakes (Vic), Jared Tallent (Vic)
Long jump: Henry Frayne (Qld), Mitchell Watt (Qld)
Triple jump: Henry Frayne (Qld)
Pole vault: Steven Hooker (WA)
Shot put: Dale Stevenson (Vic)
Discus throw: Benn Harradine (Vic), Scott Martin (Vic), Julian Wruck (Qld)
Javelin: Jarrod Bannister (Vic)
4x100m relay: Anthony Alozie (Vic), Tim Leathart (NSW), Andrew McCabe (Qld), Isaac Ntiamoah (NSW), Josh Ross (Vic)
4x400m relay: Brendan Cole (ACT), Ben Offereins (WA), Joel Milburn (NSW), Steven Solomon (NSW), John Steffensen (NSW), Tristan Thomas (Tas)

WOMEN (20):
100m: Melissa Breen (ACT)
1500m: Kaila McKnight (Vic), Zoe Buckman (ACT)
10,000m: Eloise Wellings (NSW)
Marathon: Jessica Trengove (SA), Lisa Weightman (Vic), Benita Willis (Vic)
100m hurdles: Sally Pearson (Qld)
400m hurdles: Lauren Boden (ACT)
20km walk: Regan Lamble (Vic), Beki Lee (NSW), Claire Tallent (SA)
Pole vault: Alana Boyd (WA), Liz Parnov (WA)
Discus throw: Dani Samuels (NSW)
Javelin: Kim Mickle (WA), Kathryn Mitchell (Vic)
4x100m relay: Melissa Breen (ACT), Hayley Butler (NSW), Jessica Knox (NSW), Sally Pearson (Qld), Charlotte Van Veenendaal (Vic)

What a sad state sprinting is in.....

2 Re: Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Thanks for posting that biggiesmalls.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

3 Re: Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Mex

Sad, maybe, well yes, but Outstanding result for Mel Breen. Get behind her!!

4 Re: Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/athletics/breen-takes-slow-lane-to-london-20120613-20amw.html#ixzz1xi9fxxCe

Breen takes slow lane to London

By Michael Gleeson
Sydney Morning Herald
June 14, 2012

Picked as an ''emerging athlete'' ... sprinter Melissa Breen. Photo: Melissa Adams

FORGOTTEN sprinter Joel Milburn has come from nowhere to make the men's 4x400 metres relay team, leapfrogging Sean Wroe, who has been unable to recover from after a recent emergency operation.

The relay selection was one of the few surprises in the announcement of the 54-member Australian Athletics team, which confirmed promising young sprinter Melissa Breen is to run the 100m sprint despite not making the qualifying time.

Breen was the only athlete picked who had not recorded an A-qualifying time - her best run was .002 seconds off the mark. But her consistently close performances earned her special consideration as an emerging athlete.

''I have been sitting here thinking about getting the uniform and being at the opening ceremony and being in the village, even just walking into the canteen, and I can't get the smile off my face,'' Breen said. ''I must look like a mad woman but I can't help it.

The 21-year-old runner and her coach, Matt Beckenham, made the bold decision a month ago to stop competing and chasing the A-qualifying time, hoping she had done enough to persuade selectors, believing that if she where were to be picked for London she needed to stop racing and have a training block or else risk being picked and arriving in London spent.

Wroe, a member of the bronze medal-winning relay team at the 2009 world championships, had an appendix operation just six weeks ago, and has been unable to regain fitness and form, despite having twice run faster times than Milburn's season best. Milburn, who raced the 400m individual and relay at the Beijing Olympics and finished fifth in the 400m at the Delhi Commonwealth Games, has not often been seen since due to injury.

In the most recent competition, in Brisbane in the winter series, he ran 46.54s and beat Wroe and fellow relay team member Ben Offereins.

''It is a bit of a whirlwind at the moment,'' Milburn said. ''Four weeks ago I was not even in contention. I would have been the 15th-fastest man in the country but in the space of four weeks I have got on the team to London.

''The other guys have run faster than me in January and February but they have been running all year, and are slowing. I haven't been running all year, and my times are getting better. I am showing progression in the right direction, and I beat all of them in that race in Brisbane, but it would have been a really tough decision for the selectors.''

Wroe said he was ''gutted'' but understood the decision. ''I was in hospital six weeks ago, and if you look at my last races and my preparation, I was not confident that if the final was tomorrow that I could put on the green and gold and represent Australia,'' he said.

Long jumper Fabrice Lapierre, the 2010 world indoor champion, who has gone close to the A-qualifying distance, was not selected in the team but could yet be added at the Australian Athletics Commission's discretion if he betters the 8.20 metres distance in the next few weeks before the IAAF cut-off.

Athletics Australia chairman of selectors Dion Russell said the emerging athlete provision had been used to include Breen in the team.

Australia had no woman run an A-qualifying time in the individual 100m, 200m, 400m or 800m, and only Breen has been picked for the 100m without the A time. No male runner has been picked in any of the individual 100m, 200m or 400m.

Breen is also in the women's 4x100m relay team with Sally Pearson, Hayley Butler, Jessica Knox and Charlotte van Veenendaal, but there is a possibility the team could yet miss out. Only the 16 highest ranked teams in relays are eligible for the Olympics, and Australia were recently pushed back into 16th place by the Bahamas with Poland in 17th.

Veteran runner Tamsyn Manou yesterday launched a stinging attack on Athletics Australia before her omission from the team, saying the sport had chewed up and spat out its athletes and was ignorant of its realities. She said the qualifying standards Australia demanded were higher than the IAAF requirements, which meant Australia fielded a smaller track team than they should.

WELL DONE to Mel Breen - much deserved selection.

Must commend the attitude of Sean Wroe, great to see a bloke appreciate the reality of his situation.

5 Re: Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:07 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/london-games/pearson-has-chance-to-double-medal-tally/story-e6frgdg6-1226394843497

Pearson has chance to double medal tally

by: Glenda Korporaal
June 14, 2012

OLYMPIC hurdles gold medal favourite Sally Pearson could have a chance at a second medal in London after being named in the 4x100m team yesterday.

The world champion 100m hurdler, who has already had a strong start to her European season, winning last weekend at a meeting in Oslo, was named as part of a 54-strong team of athletes nominated for the London Games yesterday by Athletics Australia.

The heats for the women's 4x100m begin the day after the medal ceremony for the women's 100m hurdles.

The team of 34 men and 20 women will make up the largest group in the Australian team for London, which is expected to comprise more than 430 competitors in 23 different sports.

Pearson has been named for the 4x100m along with ACT sprinter Melissa Breen, who was also nominated for the individual 100m yesterday.

Other relay team members are Hayley Butler and Jessica Knox, from NSW, and Charlotte Van Veenendaal, from Victoria.

US-based John Steffensen has been named for his third Olympics as a member of the 4x400m team along with Brendan Cole, from the ACT, Steven Solomon and Joel Milburn, from NSW, Ben Offereins, from WA, and Tristan Thomas, from Tasmania. Steffensen was on the 4x400m team which won silver in the Athens Games in 2004.

Athletics Australia has named a team for the men's 4x100m (Anthony Alozie, Victoria, Tim Leathart, NSW, Andrew McCabe, Queensland, Isaac Ntiamoah, NSW, and Joshua Ross, Victoria) but the women's 4x400m team has not qualified.

Recent additions to the team include 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallist in the discus, Scott Martin, who recently threw an A-qualifying distance in a meeting in Hawaii, 400m hurdler Tristan Thomas, who recently ran two Olympic A-qualifying times and Victorian javelin thrower Kathryn Mitchell.

Athletics Australia chairman of selectors Dion Russell said yesterday that the team was the second largest athletics team outside of the Sydney Games under the existing criteria.

Australia sent 62 competitors to the athletics for the Atlanta Games in 1996, when the IAAF allowed a mixture of A and B qualifying athletes to compete, but on today's rules, only 46 of these would qualify for selection.

"We will be having a good spread of athletes who can perform at an international level," Russell said.

"We are not putting all our eggs in one or two baskets. We think we have a good nucleus of athletes who can produce.

"There has been quite a lot of planning behind it to build up a critical mass of athletes who can perform at world-class levels."

Athletics Australia is hoping to better the performance in Beijing, where three athletes won medals - Steve Hooker won gold in the pole vault, Sally Pearson won silver in the 100m hurdles and Jared Tallent won silver in the 50km walk and bronze in the 20km event.

6 Re: Australian Athletics Team - Olympic Squad on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/london-olympics/melissa-breen-picked-for-london-on-potential/story-fn9dirj0-1226394807002

Melissa Breen picked for London 'on potential'

Mike Hurst
The Daily Telegraph
June 14, 2012

Melissa Breen celebrates her selection in the Australian athletics team for the London Olympics. Source: The Courier-Mail

CANBERRA'S "nearly girl" Melissa Breen is celebrating her addition to Australia's Olympic track team after Athletics Australia selectors sensibly invoked the "potential" clause in the criteria to give the young sprinter a well deserved run.

"It's the phone call I've been waiting my whole life for," Breen told The Daily Telegraph.

Breen, 21, fulfilled the participation component of the criteria and came within 0.002sec of clocking the Olympic A-qualifying time for 100m of 11.29sec while on a trip to Asia in early May. "I feel immensely proud and excited about the next few months and I feel a form of relief," said Breen, who bettered the Olympic B-qualifying time of 11.38sec on nine occasions this season during which she said she raced 27 times over 100m.

"It was important we had this block of training (after clocking her fastest time of 11.30 on May 6 in Japan) this past month.

"It could have gone the other way (had the selectors left her out) but I put my faith in my coach (Matt Beckenham)."

Others may wish they too had signed off earlier or had breached the selection criteria by being selective about where and when they raced this summer because several succumbed to illness and loss of form recently which may have cost them an Olympic spot.

According to one lawyer familiar with AA's criteria, last night advised The Telegraph: "Alex Beck, Sean Wroe, Kurt Mulcahy, Kevin Moore and Matt Lynch would all have claims on selection and should consider making an appeal before an independent AA tribunal against their non-selection."

The last spot on the 4x400 relay has gone to Sydney's Beiing Olympic 400m individual semi-finalist Joel Milburn. He provided AA with a medical certificate to state he was injured and missed the domestic grand prix series, the Olympic Trials and the national championships.

A fortnight ago, having trained throughout the summer, he competed in two optional 400m races a week apart in Brisbane, the fastest of which was 46.4.

On the basis of this, he has been selected and will probably run well in London, then again so might others who have run their legs off from Perth to Philadelphia at AA's behest and because their criteria demanded it."The message is now clear: the best way to be selected is to disregard the sport's edict about supporting the domestic grand prix, Trials and Nationals. These athletes get no reward and will disadvantage themselves," a prominent athletics administrator wrote in an email to The Daily Telegraph last night.

AA has nominated a team of 54, the largest of any sport to date, to the AOC for endorsement on Monday, subject to appeals being lodged up to 11am tomorrow. Although Breen was selected to run the individual 100m as well as the 4x100m relay, other B-qualifiers such as two-time national 400m champion Steve Solomon, 18, of Sydney have not yet been permitted to compete at an individual event.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum