PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Fabrice Lapierre & Tamsyn Manou just short of the mark

Fabrice Lapierre & Tamsyn Manou just short of the mark

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.news.com.au/news/long-jumper-fabrice-lapierre-comes-up-short/story-fndpu6dv-1226391599135

Long jumper Fabrice Lapierre comes up short

by: Scott Gullan
June 12, 2012

A LAST-DITCH bid by long jumper Fabrice Lapierre to make the London Olympics has failed.

The 2010 world indoor champion competed at a small meeting in New York on Sunday in an attempt to jump the A-standard qualifying mark of 8.20m.

While Athletics Australia was still chasing results, Lapierre had failed to contact high performance manager Eric Hollingsworth before yesterday's selection deadline. "I haven't heard so I presuming the worse," Hollingsworth said last night.

Lapierre was unsuccessful 24 hours earlier at the Diamond League meeting in New York, jumping 8.14m to finish second behind compatriot Mitchell Watt.

Watt and triple-jumper Henry Frayne already have A-qualifiers, so under IAAF rules Lapierre had to go over 8.20m to make the Olympics.

Australia's track and field team will be named in the next 24 hours and is expected to number about 50.

Another big name to miss selection is veteran Tamsyn Manou, who failed to meet the A-standard in the 800m.

Only one B-standard qualifier is set to be selected - 100m sprinter Melissa Breen, 21, who comes under the discretionary provision for an up and coming athlete.

Breen has an overwhelming case, having run a personal best 11.292sec in Japan in April, which was rounded up to 11.30.

The qualifying mark is 11.29.The most recent addition to the team is 400m hurdler Tristan Thomas, who last week went 0.11sec inside the Olympic mark.

Commonwealth Games champion John Steffensen and Steve Solomon will be part of the 4x400m relay team, but are unlikely to be selected for the individual 400m.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/london-olympics/tamsyn-manou-launches-tirade-against-selectors/story-fn9dheyx-1226393505123

Tamsyn Manou launches tirade at selectors

by: Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
June 13, 2012

Tamsyn Manou (right) has been overlooked for the London Games. Source: Herald Sun

CONTROVERSIAL middle-distance runner Tamsyn Manou has launched an emotional outburst against Athletics Australia after being overlooked for the Olympics.

Manou, who failed to lodge an A-qualifier of 1min 59.90sec for the 800m by Monday's deadline, says she has been consistently victimised by selectors.

Well-known for her former feuds with Jana Pittman, Manou, 33, has not broken the two-minute barrier since the Beijing Olympics.

In a rant on her blog, she said she felt "chewed up and spat out" by the selectors, who have a hard-line policy of ignoring B-qualifiers.

It would have been her fourth Olympics, but now says she will retire after the European summer circuit.

Her best time this year was 2:0.153 in Sydney, more than 1.5sec outside the A-qualifier.

"Since the Olympic trials - which I won and have a B standard, meaning I am IAAF qualified and could be selected - I have heard little from Athletics Australia," she wrote.

"Competing week in, week out domestically and abroad I think I have received one text message the whole time without me being the instigator of the message.

"Speaking with people in other popular elite sports, and telling them of athletes' plights, they are disgusted. They are confused as to why we as a sport prefer no Aussie in an event to putting a qualified Aussie in. Especially when I explain that the qualifying standards are good enough for semi-final level."

Athletics Australia is expected to make an exception and choose young 100m runner Melissa Breen, who narrowly missed an A-qualifier.

Reigning Olympic 800m champion Pamela Chelimo of Kenya has a best time of 1:54.01, well ahead of Manou's time.

But Manou says it is better to have an Australian running even if they have little chance.

"How is it better for the future and growth of our sport to not have an Aussie represented in these blue-ribbon events?" she wrote.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum