PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow

Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Tippo

AUSTRALIA'S fastest man on sand - a South Australian teenager with ZaJamaican heritage - is set to contest the Jarryd Hayne Scholarship.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Jordan Caldow, 18, is the inaugural selection for Hayne's innovative campaign to place an Aussie in the 100m final of the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympics.

Despite having run on a track less than a dozen times, the Australian Open beach sprint champion has been picked from among hundreds of applications received by Hayne and close friend Hayden Knowles since announcing their scheme five weeks ago.

"And who knows where this guy could end up," the NSW Origin star enthused while watching Caldow go through his paces during a photo session this week.

"Obviously Jordan will need to make changes to his technique. Things like getting his hips sitting higher. But that's why we want him involved ... despite having almost no track experience he's already running quicker than any player in the NRL."

A superstar in beach sprinting circles, Caldow has also won the last two Bay Sheffield Sprints - a South Australian version of the Stawell Gift - and pocketed more than $30,000 in the process.

And despite having never met his Jamaican father, the boom sprinter certainly boasts those same genetics responsible for the tiny Caribbean island producing sprinters like Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Linford Christie, Yohan Blake and Ben Johnson.

"Although I like to say I'm a runner because of mum," he smiles. "I've never met my dad. Don't know him at all.

"But my mum, Bonnie, she was a strong sprinter in her day and is still winning medals at the Masters games.

"I've got four (half) brothers and sisters and they're all great athletes too."

And as for being flown to Sydney this week to meet with Hayne? "Oh, it's been great - although I had no idea who he was," the sprinter laughs. "Coming from South Australia, when my coach asked if I'd heard about the Jarryd Hayne Scholarship, I replied 'who's Jarryd Hayne?'.

"But for him to believe in me, it's great.

"I know people will think this whole thing can't work. That Australia isn't supposed to have anyone in the 100m Olympic final.

"But that's fine . . I love proving people wrong."

Overseen by training/management company Competitive Edge, the Hayne Scholarship aims to end the horror drought that has seen no Australian contest the 100m Olympic final since Rockhampton flyer Hector Hogan won bronze at Melbourne in 1956.

By August this year, Hayne and Knowles will have identified eight sprinters to receive a year of funding, training and support - with one athlete then chosen to receive a scholarship similar to that of an NRL footballer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/sandtracks-to-stardom-for-caldow/story-e6frfgbo-1226380907972

2 Re: Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Thanks for posting this article, Tippo.

Currently in Brisbane and have had limited access to a computer to check athletic news.

Good read. A lot of work to do, but Hayden Knowles & Jarry Haynes are determined to unearth some decent sprinting talent & should be commended on their initiative.

Thanks to sponsors like Pirtek & Asics for their outstanding support.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

3 Re: Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm

birdman

just remember were he came from paul...

4 Re: Sandtracks to stardom for Caldow on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Won't ever be forgotten, Pete. I'm forever grateful & certainly respectful of what has been done to get Jordan to the situation where he's been granted an opportunity to be part of this Jaryd Hayne project.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum