PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » 800m champ Johnny Rayner to compete in Europe

800m champ Johnny Rayner to compete in Europe

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 800m champ Johnny Rayner to compete in Europe on Tue May 29, 2012 7:56 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://moonee-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/dash-for-the-olympics-in-essendon/
Dash for the Olympics in Essendon
Athletics

by Linh Ly
Moonee Valley Leader
29 May 2012

Keilor's Johnny Rayner will try to qualify for the London
Olympics in the 800m track event. PIC: TONY GOUGH

ATHLETICS Essendon’s Johnny Rayner is racing towards an Olympic dream.

The 21-year-old from Keilor will head to Europe at the end of this month in a bid to qualify for the London Olympics.

Rayner has had a successful start to the year, winning the men’s 800m at the Australian National Championships and signing a sponsorship deal with New Balance.

He said he was rapt with the win, finishing strongly after being in fourth position with only 100m to go.

Rayner will be running in four races - in Poland, France, England and Slovenia.

He’ll not only be aiming to beat his personal best of 1min 47sec, but earn a spot on the Australian team.

“I’m under no illusions that it’s going to be easy, but it’s the ultimate goal at the moment,” Rayner said.

“It’s a tough one, but I’m still only young - so it’s not the be all and end all.”

Rayner said he enjoyed the feeling of pushing himself and trying to improve while he ran.

“It’s not so much always winning. Every race is a personal one. You get to make your own destiny,” he said.

Rayner is also completing a medical degree and has his sights set on becoming a surgeon.

Rayner will leave today to compete in Europe and hopefully gain Olympic selection.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum