PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Zoe Buckman breaks long standing 1000m record

Zoe Buckman breaks long standing 1000m record

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Zoe Buckman breaks long standing 1000m record on Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.knoxweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/london-olympics-knoxs-own-breaks-aussie-record/2569005.aspx

London Olympics: Knox’s own breaks Aussie record

BY ROY WARD
Knox Weekly
25 May, 2012

KNOX Athletics star Zoe Buckman broke a 36-year old Australian record during a meeting in Oslo in Sweden last night.

Buckman ran the 1000 metres in 2:37.84 to break Olympic bronze and Commonwealth gold medallist Judy Pollock’s record which was set in the lead-up to the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

Buckman, 23, said she was humbled to beat Pollock’s time.

“I just can’t believe that I have taken a record away from a runner as amazing as Judy Pollock,’’ she told Athletics Australia media.

“This stadium has been the home of so many records, including a world record to Ron Clarke, and the thought of being even considered amongst names like that is pretty astounding.”

The 1000m is a not a consistently run event at international level, and this contributed to the longevity of Pollock’s record.

Buckman, who is coached by Nic Bideau, has already been nominated to run in the 1500m at the London Olympics later this year.

Athletics Australia distance coordinator Tim O’Shaughnessy said Buckman was doing everything right heading towards London.

“This bodes really well for Zoe. It will do great things for her confidence ahead of running in Rabat for the IAAF World Challenge on Sunday,’’ he told Athletics Australia media.

“She ran really strongly and should be really pleased’ it’s a great sign of what she is capable of.”

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum