PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay

Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

31 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
This decision is farcical and has the potential to blow up in their faces. Clearly Solomon is in great form, as are Cole and Thomas so what happens when Steffensen doesn't fire in the heats and can't earn himself a place in the final?? Surely they won't save him until the final (assuming they make it, which is no certainty)!

32 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Agree Phantom, making him captain guarantees Steffensen a start in both heat & final (if Australia qualifies). Could you imagine his reaction if he was left out.....(gulp)...for the good of the team? Fact is no-one has the guts to leave him out.

One wonders how those left out will feel if Steffensen is the worst performed of the four in the heat.

According to the report below, the team for the heat is Solomon, Offereins, Cole, Steffensen.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/steve-solomon-to-run-lead-off-leg-for-australian-in-4x400m-relay-heats-at-london-olympics/story-fndpu6dv-1226445507808

Steve Solomon to run lead-off leg for Australian in 4x400m relay heats at London Olympics

by: Crystal Ja
August 08, 2012

A CONFIDENT Steve Solomon says he will use the break-out success of his individual Olympic campaign to drive forward Australia's underdog 4x400m relay team.

Solomon's new status as the first Australian to make the men's 400m final since the 1988 Seoul Olympics will give them a boost as they attempt to qualify for a third straight Olympic men's 4x400m final.

The Sydney teenager ran two personal bests in as many days before finishing eighth and last in the final in a still impressive time of 45.14 seconds.

London is where he cracked the 45-second barrier for the first time during the heats.

"I've certainly learnt a lot from my individual runs here and hopefully I can take that on to the relay," Solomon said.

"It gives me great confidence going on to future championships."

The 19-year-old insists there are no problems with team dynamics, despite teammate John Steffensen's earlier public bitterness at being overlooked as Australia's lone individual 400m runner.

Solomon has more than proved his worth in that role, but said Steffensen was allowed the right to speak his mind.

"Personally I wouldn't have gone the same path John did, but the past is in the past,'' he said.

"We should build that team chemistry and come together as one and I think we've got a really, really good shot at doing some special things.''

Solomon will run the lead-off leg for Australia, with Steffensen - the only survivor of the team which won silver in Athens eight years ago - to do the anchor leg.

Ben Offereins and Brendan Cole got the nod ahead of Tristan Thomas and Joel Milburn for the other two spots in the team for Thursday's heats.

Also in action on a quiet day for Australia on August 9 will be Kathryn Mitchell in the women's javelin final. She's eyeing off a personal best to put her in the top eight.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

33 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Trackstar

4x400m heats start at 8.35 EST tonight. No heat list yet.

34 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Looked a very ordinary team tonight.
How can a team go from a Silver medal to being a finalist to being among the teams to fill the also rans in eight years.
Maybe Athletics in Aust will get the shake up it needs.

35 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Offereins looked like he went out too hard and really suffered in the last 200m, just didn't look race sharp and Steffensen got pretty well beat, didn't look very fast. Both Cole and Solomon seemed to hold their own. Pretty hectic changes too which isn't anyone's fault but I think it was Cole who had to do some weaving right at the change.

I ofcourse did not get splits or look at times though, just basing my opinion on watching the race.

36 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:50 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
According to Chris Wainwright at Runners Tribe Stats Central,
Official Australian men's 4x400m splits:
Solomon 45.66
Offereins 46.36
Cole 45.48
Steffensen 45.67
Total: 3:03.17

No matter how you look at it, the result is not good enough, especially as they came in on the back of a 3-01.58 in Daegu in May.

I think there are issues deeper than just a couple of lads running out of form. If this an AFL team, the coach would be under the microscope and probably on his way out.

Feel the most sympathy for Ben Offereins as he ran his heart out but sadly was no where near his best shape for whatever reason. Offereins has enormous pride and he looked gutted. He needs to really take stock of where he is at and look at what he's doing. He's too good a bloke to be allowed to run in the form he did in London.

37 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

CamYorke

Youngy, whilst I also feel sorry for Ben this seems to be a recurring theme each year that he heads overseas. Whilst I am not a stats guru like yourself I don't think in the last 5 years he has had to many European seasons where he has run quicker than his Aus form.

This should have been addressed before now.

38 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 am

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Agree with you Cam and this now extends to a number of athletes in the team. Once again a number of our distance runners were way off their best (I won't name and shame) and the list goes on. Before people sink the boots in and say we should be supportive of our athletes and not bad mouth them, this is the Olympics and we expect people to be at their best (or very close to). AA needs to review the current coaching structure because clearly certain coaches have no idea about athlete preparation and some athletes are clearly not up to the pressure of international competition. To be selected, obviously these athletes have the ability, however they can't deliver when it counts and that needs to be addressed!

39 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:45 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Its probably fair to say that our athletes probably havent run competatively enough in the lead up to the games.
The exceptions are Pearson who was running almost on a regular basis on the circuit and Soloman who competed at the World Youths.
These two were probably your standouts from the Olympic track team in runners 100m to 400m ,dont have to go far to see why ,THEY WERE IN FORM.
Cole certainly wasnt disgraced either.

40 Re: Australian MEN'S 4 x 400m Relay on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I reckon you might be speaking for the vast majority Phantom. We're all for having as many athletes as we can in the team, but there is a massive responsibility on the athletes to offer up a performance worthy of being in the team. They don't have to make the final - just show us something to suggest you prepared as well as you possibly could have - for example the marathon girls, Zoe Buckman, Steve Solomon and of course Super Sally.

Like a lot of T&F fans who got up in the early hours and who are passionate about our sport, I'm disillusioned with the excuses for below par efforts. Yes they might well have performed as well as they could on the day, but what was going on in the lead up to contribute to the disappointing result?

Four years is a long time and 75% of this team won't be around in four years so it's not as if they can use their disappointing efforts as the springboard for the next Olympics.

Matt Shirvington said after a very good Sydney Olympic result with 10.13 in a semi final, that at the age of 21 he thought that Athens in 2004 would be where he could make the 100m final. Not only did he miss Athens through injury but Sydney is the only Olympics he ran in, having failed to qualify for Beijing.

Very frustrating.

As for the men's 4 x 400m.
I believe it was Eric Hollingsworth who decided on the make up of the team.

3-03 is the result of Eric's choices including the one to make John Steffensen captain.

While I thought the questioning of Steffensen by Channel Nine reporter Tony Jones was too aggressive so soon after the event, the response from Steffensen about the difficult job he had to make up for others who are not running well plus his body language was woeful for a supposed leader.

3-03 might be an appropriate number to finsh on because Hollingsworth's decisions have definitely shot him in the foot.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum