PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Reddie wins Stawell 2 mile after 'spur-of-the-moment' entry

Reddie wins Stawell 2 mile after 'spur-of-the-moment' entry

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://manningham-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/warrandyte-runners-win-is-a-gift/

Warrandyte runner's win is a Gift

by David Turner
Manningham Leader
30 Apr 12

Daniel Balassone and Andrew Reddie reflect on the Stawell
Gift meeting while they warm up at Jells Park on Saturday.
Picture: STEVE TANNER S43DT200

WARRANDYTE’S Andrew Reddie made the perfect debut in his professional athletics career on Easter Monday, winning a rain-soaked backmarkers 3200m at the iconic Stawell Gift meeting.

Running off a handicap of 300m, 20-year-old Reddie looked strong, surging late to nudge out Tasmanian Douglas Hamerlock (200m) by 0.29sec.

Australian 5000m champion Craig Mottram, running off scratch, finished ninth.

New to the world of professional running, Reddie said he was astonished to cross the line first.

“After the line, it’s disbelief. It took a while to sink in,” he said.

“Once I got back to (my family), it hit me more. It’s a great feeling.

“Even leading up to it, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing.

“My dad saw that there was a race (at Stawell). I didn’t know there was a race for me because I do longer distances. A week before the entries closed, I got registered. It was definitely worth it in the end.”

Winning a race at Australia’s most famous athletics meeting justifies Reddie’s recent decision to focus on running.

After playing football in the winter, an injury-riddled summer of 2010-11 made Reddie realise he could no longer juggle the sports.

“I had a full cross-country season, almost uninterrupted up until the end of the cross-country season, then went straight into the track season and had a pretty good season with that,” he said.

“All the training paid off in the end.”

“It’s good to see the improvement. The year before that, I had a bad year. I had glandular fever and I don’t think I ran a personal best. I had a couple of knee issues.”

“It’s good to see that I can improve and I’m still getting better.”

Reddie, who runs for the Doncaster Athletics Club, has now turned his attention to the cross-country season, starting with the state relays at Jells Park on Saturday.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum