PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Ballarat Matt to contest 100m at National Championships

Ballarat Matt to contest 100m at National Championships

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

biggiesmalls

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Stawell Gift winner Matt Wiltshire is a late entry for the 100m at this weekend Australian Athletic Championships.

What time will he run?

My guess is 10.85

Admin

Admin
Admin
AA Website NEWS

A fast paced Australian Athletics Championships

The straight will be ablaze when the 90th Australian Athletics Championships begin at Lakeside Stadium tomorrow, as Olympic hopefuls a plenty take to the track chasing national crowns and Athletics Australia qualifying standards for the Olympic Games.

Leading the charge in the women’s short sprints is Melissa Breen (ACT), who will join her IAAF world championship teammates Hayley Butler (NSW) and Charlotte Van Veenendaal (Vic).

Breen starts fresh off a scratch victory in the Strickland Family Women’s 120m Gift last weekend and the 21-year-old boasts a season bests of 11.35 (100m) and 23.75 (200m).

Returning national champion Aaron Rouge-Serret (Vic), meanwhile, headlines the men’s short sprints.

He will be joined in the 100m by four-time national champion Josh Ross (Vic), Stawell Gift winner Matt Wiltshire (Vic), Stawell Gift semi-finalists Adrian Mott (Vic) and Aaron Stubbs (Qld) as well as Australian Flame Matt Davies (Qld).

The 200m entry lists include Commonwealth Games 400m silver medallist Sean Wroe (Vic) and Max Waldron (Tas). Waldron has been selected in the relay team for the IAAF world junior championships.

In the 400m, 19-year-old national champion Steven Solomon (NSW) will duel with world championships 4x400m bronze medallist Ben Offereins (WA) and NSWIS scholarship holders Kevin Moore (NSW) and Matt Lynch (NSW).

Solomon takes to the start line with the fastest season best of 45.58 from his second place at the Qantas Melbourne Track Classic & Olympic Trial.

Middle distance entry lists include Tamsyn Manou (Vic), Zoe Buckman (Vic), Kaila McKnight (Vic), Belinda Martin (NSW), Victoria Mitchell (Vic), Jeremy Roff (NSW) and Jeff Riseley (Vic)

Manou, who is also the Australian 400m champion, will compete in her last Nationals as she pushes towards the 1:59.90 qualifier for the women’s 800m where she will be joined on the start line by Buckman, who has been nominated to the Australian Olympic Committee for selection in the women’s 1500m.

Buckman’s fellow Olympic nominee McKnight headlines the 1500m, before returning to the track to face off with national champion Martin in the 5000m. McKnight made her Australian debut at the IAAF world championships last year, with the country Victorian advancing through to semi-finals.

Mitchell, who was an inaugural member of the Australian Flame at the 2009 world championships, is one to watch in the women’s 3000m steeplechase.

An exciting addition to the men’s 1500m entry lists, Roff will compete for the first time nationally since returning from injury to win the New South Wales title earlier this month. Riseley has already been nominated to the Australian Olympic Committee in the 800m, and this weekend he will look to win a second consecutive 1500m national crown last year.

The 90th Australian Athletics Championships will be held at Lakeside Stadium on April 13-15.

For more information, including entry lists and the event timetable, please click here.

Tickets to the 90th Australian Athletics Championships are available at the gate.

Adult - $15. Concession - $10. Children (U10) - FREE.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/wiltshire-up-against-the-best-sprinters/2521336.aspx

Wiltshire up  against the best sprinters
BY TIM O'CONNOR
Ballarat Courier
14 Apr, 2012

MATT Wiltshire has celebrated pretty hard following his Stawell Gift triumph, but now it’s time for the Alfredton speedster to get back on track.

Wiltshire has received a surprise call-up for this weekend’s Australian Athletics Championships.

The 20-year-old, who only learned of his spot in the 100m heats earlier this week, will run against the country’s best sprinters in Albert Park today.

Wiltshire, still basking in the glory of his triumph at Stawell, said it was an opportunity he couldn’t refuse.

“Stawell was the focus because it’s all I’ve been training for for the last year and all I’ve been thinking about,” he said.

“I was going to pursue this sort of running next season, but then now the opportunity came up I might as well take it.”

Wiltshire said he was in the best shape he could be just a week after the Easter carnival, and said he would enjoy having a “nothing to lose” attitude following such a pressure-filled campaign at Stawell.

His said his aim was to make the 100m final.

Of course I hope he goes well, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. I know of several Stawell Gift winners who peaked for Easter Monday and a week later would have been anything from 1m to 3m slower. It's the nature of the event to have that incredible rush and rise to the occasion - a week later there's nothing that can match that excitement to get the body to do it again. I reckon at Stawell he is probably in low 10.8s shape, but this week will be around high 10.9's. As there are no semi finals scheduled - heat & final only, it's highly unlikely he will get past the heat........Be very interesting all the same.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum