PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Did Josh Tiu Break?

Did Josh Tiu Break?

Did Josh Tiu Break?

17% 17% [ 10 ]
22% 22% [ 13 ]
40% 40% [ 24 ]
21% 21% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 60

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Did Josh Tiu Break? on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Do you think Josh Tiu broke in the sixth semi final?

Last edited by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 pm

S.hill

It was interesting.
On tv it looked like he beat the noise but you could see the smoke from the gun going off.. So does this make it the perfect start?

3 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
c.judd wrote:It was interesting.
On tv it looked like he beat the noise but you could see the smoke from the gun going off.. So does this make it the perfect start?

No. If you can see the smoke from the gun going off before an athlete moves, it's not referred to as a "perfect start"...

... it's called a start.

In contrast, if you can see an athlete move before the smoke from the gun going off is visible or the report of the gun is heard...

... it's called a false start.

Welcome to Under 6's in Little Athletics. Even club-level starters understand this concept.

A "perfect start" would technically be one with the quickest legal reaction time, ie. 0.100 secs, which as Dr. Evil referred to in the other thread, would necessitate pressure sensors attached to blocks.

You could make an argument that a perfect start is any start where a person breaks and isn't called for it. However, given Josh Tiu was awarded a false start in the absence of movement before the gun, this would seem to be the very opposite of any possible concept of a perfect start and rest firmly in the "Worst possible outcome" section.

It's worth pointing out that anyone viewing the race from the vicinity of the finish line would hear the sound of the gun ~0.4 seconds after it went off. The longer the margin of time, the harder it is to accurately estimate and compare a movement versus a retro-active sound. In addition, if you compare a notoriously fast-starting frontmarker versus nearby frontmarkers who traditionally start with slower than average reaction times, this may incorrectly heighten the perception of a false start.

4 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
There's movement before the smoke - break, there's movement after the smoke - fair start BUT ToM left one out. There's also movement with the smoke. That's physically impossible unless you are anticipating the gun. My guess is if the starter had not fired the gun, Tiu would have leftt the block anyway. He look committed to moving when he did. He wasn't reacting, he was anticipating. False start. End of Story.

5 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
The Morphy Mongrel wrote:There's movement before the smoke - break, there's movement after the smoke - fair start BUT ToM left one out. There's also movement with the smoke. That's physically impossible unless you are anticipating the gun. My guess is if the starter had not fired the gun, Tiu would have leftt the block anyway. He look committed to moving when he did. He wasn't reacting, he was anticipating. False start. End of Story.

Your guess? A decision regarding the legality of a start does not assess intention, only evidence.

6 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Mich82

[quote="Admin"]Do you think Josh Tiu broke in the sixth semi final?
[/quote NO]

7 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Mich82

JOSH TIU DID NOT BREAK smoke whent up befor tiu ps YOU have to be blind not to see it OR do you see only what you whont?????

8 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 am

Turf Doctor

I have checked the video now. It is obvious that he never broke in any of those starts. He has no movement before the gun and you can even see the smoke before he makes his first movement. He was so much better than the others that the starter guessed that he must have beaten the gun because he beats everyone else. He didn't break though, he was just that good. I even checked it in slow motion, he wasn't even close to a break in any of them. I would love to know his block settings and what he does in his positions to be that good. He is one of the best starters I have seen. He is very unlucky. The Stawell starter needs to get some glasses or go back to start school.

9 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 am

biggiesmalls

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Time to get over it people.
A week is a long time in Athletics

10 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
As the rules stand ,could Nick or Josh have challenged the false start in the form of a protest before the blocks are reset.
The protest would be supported by video evidence, apparently easily obtainable.
I know theres a window of opportunity for protests after the race but by then its too late.
Just suprises me that Nick didnt go down this path or did things happen to quick.

11 GET OVER IT MAYBE FOR YOU BUT NOT FOR THE RUNERS on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Mich82

Whispers wrote:As the rules stand ,could Nick or Josh have challenged the false start in the form of a protest before the blocks are reset.
I know theres a window of opportunity for protests after the race but by then its too late.
Just suprises me that Nick didnt go down this path or did things happen to quick.

Whispers wrote:As the rules stand ,could Nick or Josh have challenged the false start in the form of a protest before the blocks are reset.

13 Tiu didn't break on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 pm

webb59

WHERE IS THE TAPE ARE WE EVER GOINGTO SEE IT ??????? IS IT IN YOUTUBE YET ?

14 Re: Did Josh Tiu Break? on Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

SpeedyDude

He broke both times. End of story, he was lucky not to get called the first time. Maybe now he will have to actually go away and improve to win the gift. One can only hope, can't just keep throwing huge marks at these guys. It is pitiful the state of runners in the VAL now. Only a matter of time before another Amo runner wins the gift!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum