PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Les the Bookie picks Jamieson from Wiltshire & Mott

Les the Bookie picks Jamieson from Wiltshire & Mott

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.stawelltimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/sam-jamieson-early-favourite-to-take-out-stawell-gift/2512770.aspx

Sam Jamieson early favourite to take out Stawell Gift

Stawell Times
05 Apr, 2012

Sam Jamieson

STAWELL - Punters are in for a tough weekend in the betting ring, with Stawell bookmaker Les Montgomery saying this year's Australia Post Stawell Gift is a 'pretty open race.'

"It looks to be an even race," Mr Montgomery said.

Monday's historic 120 metre sprint will feature several big names as well as a couple of former winners.

Mr Montgomery has installed 2008 Stawell Gift winner Sam Jamieson and Ballarat Gift 70 metre open title winner Matt Wiltshire as equal favourites at $7.

Jamieson, who took out the Gift four years ago off six metres, has come back a metre and a quarter since then with Montgomery saying he believes Jamieson is a 'better runner now than when he won it.'

Another former winner returning to Stawell is Adrian Mott.

Mott won the 2006 Gift off seven and a quarter metres and is now coming off five, with Mr Montgomery setting his odds at $17.

Kim Collins returns to Stawell for a second year and, after having missed out on a spot in the final of last year's Stawell Gift off scratch, will run off one metre this weekend and is at $21 to win.

"I think Collins has got a job in front of him. I think he's too far back, and he'll struggle again off one metre. But then again, it depends on the times needed to make the final. You've got to have a slow times," said Mr Montgomery.

Michael Frater will be another to watch at $17, with Mr Montgomery saying he will make the final 'at best.'

The Stawell bookie said three Melbourne brothers - Matthew, Shaun and Chris Hargreaves - will be in with a chance.

"Expect money for the Hargreaves' from the (trainer) John Henry stable. All three brothers all lining up for the Gift. It is very unique - I've never seen it before," he said.

Mr Montgomery said another quiet tip around is Stuart Bainbridge from New South Wales (at $26).

Last year's winner, Mitch Williams, is returning to Stawell running off three metres - three and half quarters back from last year.

Aaron Rouge-Serret ($15) is in with a chance and Ben Weaver, a finalist in last year's event is at $21.

Mr Montgomery's picks to win the 2012 Australia Post Stawell Gift are Sam Jamieson from Matt Wiltshire, with Adrian Mott to come in third.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum