PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sally Pearson to scale back her pet event

Sally Pearson to scale back her pet event

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sally Pearson to scale back her pet event on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/10/26/265811_gold-coast-lead-story.html

Commonwealth Games gold medallist Sally Pearson
with a spring in her step back on her home turf.

Sally to scale back her pet event
By David Lewis
goldcoast.com.au
October 26th, 2010

SPRINT queen Sally Pearson has revealed she will limit her involvement in her pet 100m hurdles to blue ribbon events such as the Olympics, world championships and Commonwealth Games in a bid to prolong her career.

Dogged by an ongoing problem in her back, the Olympic silver medallist and Commonwealth Games golden girl is in no hurry to inflict further punishment on a troublesome disc, unless she deems the risk worthwhile.

The decision, which the 24-year-old has not taken lightly, comes after 15 months of nagging issues which first reared up at last year's world championships in Berlin, where she trailed in fifth in the final of the 100m hurdles.

It has been a case of micro-managing the problem with constant trips to the physio and a supply of Voltaren always close at hand.

"It's a matter of just how much the body can take and I have to be very careful not to overload myself," explained Pearson, back on her home patch on the Gold Cost after the tribulations and jubilation of the Delhi Games, where she was stripped of gold for a false start in the 100m but rebounded with trademark resilience to capture gold in the 100m hurdles four days later.

"The back has taken a bit of a battering over the years and I've come to the realisation that less might be more going forward.

"I need to protect it as best I can, so that I get the best out of my career and I'm able to go to the London Olympic Games and the world championships in Korea before that, and be able to be really competitive.

"Obviously your career at the top level is short and I want to make sure I stay where I am for the longest time possible."

Pearson's decision means she is likely to be more selective with her hurdles commitments in the looming domestic season, instead concentrating on honing her craft in the 100m and 200m.

But it will be a small price to pay if it means she is able to maintain the magic which has turned her into the poster girl for Australian track and field.

Pearson is also confident that none of the nine Australian athletes who have tested positive for the banned chemical stimulant methylhexaneamine, or DMAA, are from the track and field arena.

While expressing her surprise at the finding, which has landed the offenders with possible two-year bans and brought unwanted world attention to Australian sport, Pearson offered this warning: "It just goes to show how careful you have to be what you put into your body, even if you think you are doing the right thing."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum