PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 11:54 pm by BadSnowman

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Yesterday at 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Yesterday at 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

» Bay Sheffield Novice and Restricted race eligibility
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm by Admin

» Mort Daly Running Foundation 120m Women Poll
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 am by youngy

» Pre Bay 120m Mort Daly Gift POLL
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am by youngy

» Pre Bay Gift meet HANDICAPS - Sunday 10th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:03 pm by youngy

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » AFL stars descend on Burramine Gift

AFL stars descend on Burramine Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 AFL stars descend on Burramine Gift on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.yarrawongachronicle.com.au/sport/local-sport/1979-afl-stars-descend-on-burramine-gift.html

AFL stars descend on Burramine Gift

By Fiona Blick
Yarrawonga Chronicle
Thursday, 15 March 2012

Adam Coote is a dead set AFL star.

Haven’t heard of him? He has been involved in 141 AFL games including five grand finals. Still no idea?

Adam Coote is an Australian Rules Football boundary umpire. A highlight of his career came when he was chosen to umpire in both the drawn and replayed 2010 AFL Grand Final. Coote was also named the Victorian Runners and Trainers association Athlete of the Year for the 2009/10 season. This came after he won the 800-metre title at the Stawell Gift in 2010. AFL umpires manager Jeff Gieschen has said that Coote is one of the most powerful boundary umpires in the AFL.

Coote, and his fellow AFL umpires Michael Marantelli (up and coming boundary umpire) and Ian Burrows (three grand finals and part of the All Australian team), will be participating in this year’s Burramine Gift Carnival.

Coote will be running in the actual Burramine Gift while Marantelli and Burrows will be competing in the 800m and the Mile run.

Trainer Mark Hipworth is full of praise for the three athletes and said he is anticipating Coote to perform well in the Gift.

“I am expecting him to go well. I absolutely expect him to at least get into the finals and with a bit of luck to take out the 2012 Burramine Gift,” Hipworth said. “I will be running against Marantelli and Burrows in the 800m and the Mile. I have jokingly said to them that if they beat me on the day they will have a hard time at training the following week.”

Hipworth said the umpires use athletics to help with their overall game fitness.

“Sometimes in a game a boundary umpire could run between 15km and 18km. They use athletics training so they won’t be as fatiuged during the game and will have better clarity in making crucial decisions,” Hipworth said.

Hipworth praised the Burramine Gift Carnival saying it was “a great carnival”.

“I have been to the Gift at least 20 times,” he said. “These types of carnivals help out different types of athletes, not just runners; it helps their fitness for the main sport they do. I am very happy the Carnival is still going ahead, especially with all the rain and flooding in the area.”

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum