PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Pirrenee Steinert not giving up hope of elusive 51.50

Pirrenee Steinert not giving up hope of elusive 51.50

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/two-shots-left/2452224.aspx?storypage=0

Two shots left

FRANCES SACCO AND MICHAEL HARTSHORN
Maitland Mercury
13 Feb, 2012

A conservative start in the 400 metres final in Perth may have cost Pirrenee Steinert an elusive “A” qualifying time for the London Olympics.

Steinert, 26, and her coach Tony Fitzgerald * believe the runner was three to four metres behind where she needed to be at the halfway mark of the race, which was won by Ireland’s Joanne Cuddihy.

“At the end of the race Pirrenee said to me she had too much left in the tank,” Fitzgerald said yesterday after flying back from the Perth Track Classic.

Fitzgerald said Cuddihy went out fast from the beginning and Steinert left her chase until the 300m mark.

“She made up a lot of ground in the last 100m, but we both agreed she was three to four metres behind where she should have been at the 200 and 300 metre marks,” Fitzgerald said.

“She has learned a lot from this race and we have Sydney coming up this week.

“If the Irish girl or one of the Americans takes it out fast, Pirrenee needs to go with them and I think they could push themselves to an ‘A’ time.

“It was a bit of a learning race, when she does put it all together she will get the time to get to the Olympics.”

Steinert is in the form of her career and ran close to her official personal best in the 400 metres at the Perth Track Classic, but still more than a second off the magic mark.

To earn a guaranteed ticket to the London Olympics, she will need to run 51.50 seconds.

Fitzgerald said Pirrenee’s twin Sheena also fell into the trap of being too conservative at the beginning of the race.

She ran sixth in the final in a personal best time of 54.2 5seconds.

Meanwhile, Laura Whaler competed in the 100m and 200m, coming seventh and sixth respectively. Her times of 12.04 seconds for the 100m and 24.51 seconds for the 200m were well outside her Hunter Track Classic markers of 11.85 seconds and 23.89 seconds.

“She is not quite ready to race, her first race was at Newcastle and that was to support her local meet,” Fitzgerald said of the 24-year-old.

“Since coming back from world champs she has lost time and fitness. She doesn’t have the full-strength and fitness to complete her races.

“But we have another three weeks before the Olympic trials to prepare a bit better.”

While the runners have a couple of months to make the A qualifier, The Sydney Track Classic and the Melbourne IAAF World Challenge and selection trials in March are the last two big meets on the Australian athletics calendar.

Fitzgerald’s other runner at Perth, 100m and 200m sprinter Liam Gander is facing the opposite problem of the Steinert sisters, failing to finish his races.

Fitzgerald said Gander, 23, was making powerful starts and his times up to 60 metres would be the envy of most other runners.

But Fitzgerald said at the 60m mark Gander’s attention seemed to wonder and he began to search visually for his opponents.

“That momentary lapse is costing him dearly and it is the difference between making times for possible selection in the relays and missing out on London,” Fitzgerald said.

“We have even tried wraparound sunglasses to keep him from being distracted. It’s a mental thing and sometimes it’s related to a point in the race where an athlete may have been injured.

“It’s something we are going to have to work through.”

* umm.... I think they mean Tony Fairweather!

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/steinert-focused-to-go-faster/2458426.aspx

Steinert focused to go faster

Maitland Mercury
17 Feb, 2012

Pirrenee Steinert will take a more focused attitude into Saturday night’s Sydney Track Classic at Homebush.

Steinert was around her personal best mark at the Perth Track Classic on Saturday night but the “A” qualifier for the 2012 London Olympics still eluded her.

Steinert recorded a time of 52.74 seconds in the women’s 400 metre final but the 2010 Maitland Sportsperson of the Year is aiming for 51.50s.

“It was a solid run, a decent run, but I know I should be going faster,” Steinert said.

“I don’t think I was mentally prepared the best I could be in Perth.

“But I will take a much more positive attitude into Sydney and I will be ready to give it a red, hot go.

“I’m really looking forward to it.”

Steinert will line up in the women’s 400m with her twin sister Sheena, who is also being trained by Gillieston Heights coach Tony Fairweather.

Sheena ran a 54.25s in Perth last week and Steinert was confident her sibling had some improvement left in her as well.

“She [Sheena] is going really well at the moment,” Steinert said.

“She was a bit disappointed with last week but I think she can run quicker as well.”

The Steinert twins will be up against international runners in Joanne Cuddihy and American Keisha Baker as well as Queenslander Caitlin Sargent.

East Maitland sprinter Laura Whaler has entered in the women’s 100m and is set to line up alongside the likes of Melissa Breen, Hayley Butler and Charlotte ven Veenendaal.

In the men’s 100m dash Liam Gander, from the Fairweather Track Squad, will race former Fairweather-trained Josh Ross.

The Olympic trials follow in Melbourne on March 2-3.

In other news, Little Athletics NSW regional championships will be held at Glendale on Saturday and Sunday.

State championships will be held at Homebush next month before nationals in Hobart in April.

* The Maitland Mercury would like to apologise for referring to Gillieston Heights athletics coach Tony Fairweather by the wrong name in Monday’s edition.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/steinert-misses-qualifier-but-dream-still-alive/2476307.aspx

Steinert misses qualifier, but dream still alive

FRANCES SACCO
Maitland Mercury
05 Mar, 2012

Pirrenee Steinert will have to line-up in smaller races or head overseas if she is to book a ticket to the London Olympic Games after finishing fifth at the Olympic trials.

Steinert was well outside her personal best over 400m, running 53.98 seconds in cold and windy conditions in Melbourne.

The 2010 Maitland Sportsperson of the Year’s best time of 2012 is 52.70s, which she recorded in Newcastle.

She has run sub-52s in training and clocked 52.02 in a mixed race late last year.

The trials were the last of the big meets on the Australian athletics calendar, but Steinert has until June to run the 51.5s she needs for a guaranteed ticket to London.

Her chances include national and state championships and inter club meets.

Failing those, she has the option of heading overseas to enter races in Europe and Asia.

Hunter athlete Ben Harradine finished second in the discus, throwing 60.51m.

Former Maitland sprinter Josh Ross tied for sixth place in the final of the men’s 100m and clocked 10.56s.

East Maitland athlete Laura Whaler’s dreams of racing in London have ended with the sprinter set to undergo hip surgery.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum