A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

Log in

I forgot my password


Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stawell Gift 2018 - 98 athletes return from 2017
Today at 4:01 pm by Admin

» Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?
Today at 10:27 am by untouchables

» Bunbury Gift entries close 9th of April
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 pm by Pro Pasto

» Past "Bill Howard Winners"
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:23 pm by Todd Ireland

» Stawell Accommodation Available 3km from the track
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 am by timrosen35

» Euroa Results
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:43 pm by JH

» Adjusted times
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:07 pm by Fast

» Euroa Gift
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm by Bang bang

» Doncaster Gift
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 pm by HarryWho

March 2018

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Mangar Chuot overcomes assault & now has a hamstring injury

Mangar Chuot overcomes assault & now has a hamstring injury

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]



Heartbreak for targeted Olympic hopeful

by: AAP and Staff Writers
From: PerthNow
February 12, 2012

OLYMPIC PAIN: Mangar Chuot's hopes for London 2012 have been shattered after pulling a hamstring, weeks after being the victim of an alleged gang attack. Picture: Richard Hatherly Source: PerthNow

WA runner Mangar Chuot, who has been the target of repeated attacks, has suffered a severe blow to his Olympic dreams after pulling a hamstring in the Perth Track Classic.

It is the latest setback for the 22-year-old Sudanese refugee after he has been the victim of a series of attacks from a Sudanese gang in Perth.

One attack involved the Olympic hopeful being struck several times on his legs with a plank of wood and his hamstring injury is in the same spot where he was injured.

In the most recent incident last month, Mr Chuot and his brother were hosting a party at Scarborough Surf Lifesaving Club, when two men showed up at midnight and tried to get in.

Mr Chuot's sister, international runway model Sarah Chuot, was punched in the face by one of the men when she attempted to step in and protect her brother.

Another friend was stabbed in the back and was treated in hospital for serious injuries.

After the incident Mr Chuot said: "I don't know what I did to them personally ... I want to ask them what I've done so we can go to court and talk about it."

The runner - a 100m and 200m specialist - was near the lead of the men's 100m sprint and pulled his hamstring about 60m in and failing to finish the race.

Speaking to Nine News Mr Chuot said he was in a lot of pain.

"There was a lot of pain and last night was worse because I didn't get a lot of sleep," he said.

Despite his troubles, Mr Chuot maintains he is not out of contention for athletic success.

"All I can say is never say never. I will come back and see what I can do at nationals."

It is understood the attackers believe he fathered a child being carried by a friend of theirs, but Mr Chuot reportedly split with the girl before she became pregnant.

Two men have been charged over the attacks.

Model Sarah Chuot has also been injured in the attacks
aimed at her brother. Picture: Kim Grubb Source: PerthNow



Sudanese gang targeting WA Olympic hopeful: coach
By Aja Styles
Sydney-Morning Herald
January 23, 2012

The coach of a WA Olympic hopeful says it will be "a miracle" if the sprinter fully recovers from being bashed to the legs with a plank of wood after a series of attacks on him by a Sudanese gang.

Mangar Makur Chuot, 21, was attacked for the third time in a month in the early hours of Sunday morning after a party he was hosting at the Scarborough Surf Lifesaving Club was hijacked by the armed group.

Mr Chuot's sister Sarah, who is an international runway model, was punched in the face when she tried to step in to protect her brother when the fight, involving up to 60 people, spilled into the club's carpark, television news reported.

"He punched me really bad," she told Nine News. "The doctor said I was really lucky."

A man suffered a minor stab wound to the back and a police officer was attacked with capsicum spray while arresting a man for assault during the fracas.

It is understood the attackers escaped and police are continuing their inquiries about who was responsible.

Later that morning Mr Chuot's home was also trashed and his trainer Lindsay Bunn told Radio 6PR the weekend attack was the third targeted attempt to maim the 100 metre and 200 metre runner.

"They were there to target him and Mangar saw the knife early in the piece and got himself out of there because he can't afford to get any sort of injuries," Mr Bunn said.

Mr Bunn said Mr Chuot, who was born in Sudan and came to Australia about seven years ago to be free of the violence, had no idea why the attacks were occurring.

"They started just before Christmas with effectively a home invasion at his house," Mr Bunn said.

"They attacked him in his bed at about two o'clock in the morning, they targeted his legs with a piece of wood the size of a small tree trunk - it wasn't just a small piece of wood.

"He jumped out the window and managed to escape but his injuries are pretty severe. In fact probably put his whole Olympic aspirations... well it'll be a miracle if he gets there but he's working as hard as he can to get back and run."

Mr Chuot suffered severe bone bruising and has been undertaking intense physiotherapy and swimming training.

"I'm trying to help a young kid who prior to this had run the fastest time in Australia in the 200 [metres] this year, he was on target to go to the Olympics," Mr Bunn said.

"And his whole dream is, it's not in tatters, we're going to have a crack at it and we're working really hard to get him back... but we don't know how long this injury will take to heal."

Four days after the initial attack Mr Chuot was at a cultural community function in Balga when he was again attacked by the gang.

"This time he was lucky enough because of his injuries he had a walking stick so he was able to beat them off and get back here again," Mr Bunn said.

"He got into a car and managed to get back to my house and police again attended and were informed of who they were and what was going on."

Three weeks later one person was arrested but granted bail, Mr Bunn said.

Mr Bunn has called on police to explain why more was not being done to arrest the attackers.

Read more:



Bashing victim's Olympic dream

The West Australian
January 28, 2012,

When Mangar Makur Chuot was four years old, he watched his father being shot dead by men from a rival tribe who attacked his village during South Sudan's brutal civil war.

His terrified mother grabbed him, his older brother and two younger sisters and fled to her parents' village. Life was safer there, but despite his young age Chuot had the dangerous task of looking after his grandparents' cattle on land where lions, leopards and cheetahs roamed.

Now aged 23, Chuot is an Australian citizen living in Perth and an athlete who hopes to represent his adopted country in this year's Olympic Games in London.

His progress has been marred by three separate attacks on him over the past month. Two men allegedly broke into his home and bashed his legs with a tree branch and four days later he was set upon in a park.

A week ago, Chuot was attacked in Scarborough, leading to a brawl involving up to 60 people.

Chuot's journey, from a nomadic life in a country where he only ever knew war to life in the "lucky country", has been long and hard.

Sudan's second civil war, which killed two million people and displaced four million, was raging when Chuot was born in the village of Yirol in 1988.

Chuot's father was the commander of the Chiech tribe, a position that allowed him to have seven wives and about 50 children.

"Because of the war a lot of people died, so to keep the population going they came up with that," Chuot said.

His father's high rank also meant he had to stay and fight when one of the 50 different tribes in South Sudan stormed the village.

"It's a very tough life so people have to depend on each other, go and rob other tribes for survival because there is no other income. It's a normal life there," he said.

After his father's death, Chuot and his siblings were left with his grandparents, while his mother and her youngest daughter Susan walked hundreds of kilometres to Ethiopia to try to get the family refugee status in a safer country. "On the way, half the population got killed because the other tribes have this mentality that they are coming to take their land, so they just keep shooting," he said.

Five years after she left, Chuot's mother returned to South Sudan to collect her children and took them to Kakuma refugee camp, where they began the long process to get humanitarian visas for Australia.

Life was tough in the camp. They were issued with meagre monthly rations and refugees built their own huts out of mud and sticks.

"It was very different in a bad way. We were used to this bush, nomadic life," Chuot said.

Inside the camp, Chuot saw electricity and televisions for the first time and learnt to play soccer.

A 9pm safety curfew did not stop refugees being killed by local Kenyans, unhappy with their presence. "They'd come with their guns and shoot people. They killed 50 while I was there," Chuot said.

In the camp, Chuot went to school for the first time at age 9. Meanwhile, Chuot's mother was working to save money for the family's migration to Australia in 2005.

"I liked it (Australia). Everything seems in order, in its own place. Everyone lives in a safe environment, not like compared to the camp," he said.

Chuot wandered into a Balga park one day in 2009 where coach Lindsay Bunn was training local children for free. Mr Bunn soon realised Chuot's potential as an athlete. Chuot is also being helped by Dave Griffiths, who coached Ben Offereins and Jody Henry, and Eagles trainer Brendan Kennedy.

Chuot has been improving his times consistently, from 11.58sec. for 100m two years ago to a current personal best of 10.5. He won a bronze medal in the national championships last April for running the 200m in 21.39.

In early March, Chuot will have to run 100m in 10.18 or less in selection trials to qualify to represent Australia in the Olympics.

Despite the series of attacks on him, Chuot said he was dedicated to concentrating on his running.

"Will I qualify? It depends. You never know what will happen on the day.
"I might get lucky. If I get the start right, you never know," he said.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum