PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Steinert confident of ‘A’ time

Steinert confident of ‘A’ time

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Steinert confident of ‘A’ time on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/steinert-confident-of-a-time/2448964.aspx

Steinert confident of ‘A’ time
By FRANCES SACCO
Maitland Mercury
09 Feb, 2012

A 400m “A” qualifier – and a ticket to London – is close and Pirrenee Steinert can feel it.

Steinert flies to Western Australia today to give her time to acclimatise for the Perth Track Classic on the weekend.

“Everything is going really well for the first season in five or six years,” she said.

“I’m completely injury free and running really well.

“It’s a good year for that to happen.”

The 2010 Maitland sportsperson of the year has been grazing the 51.5 second Olympic qualification bench mark all season and is excited at the prospect of cracking it in her next few meets.

“I’ve had a couple of relay runs that were sub 52 and I recently ran an individual personal best at 52.0,” she said.

“It’s an exciting thought that I might do an A qualifier soon.”

An official personal best at the recent NSW Country Championships has spurred Steinert on and confirmed her race day strategy.

“The run was a lot different to the one at the Hunter Track Classic,” she said.

“At the classic I wasn’t in the best mindset, but at the country championships I only went into it for some race practice, so it was really relaxed.

“I run so much better when I’m relaxed, so in Perth I just need to turn my head off and let my body do its thing.”

Steinert doesn’t think much about her rivals in the lead up to an event, but this early in the season she is running the fastest times in Australia.

“Tamsin (Lewis) will probably be running well and my sister Sheena has been making dramatic improvements,” she said.

“But I just like to rock up and do my own thing.”

Tony Fairweather, who coaches the Steinert sisters, said Irish and American competitors were also entered into the 400m event, providing stiff competition.

“They know it is a fast track and they’re going to get good competition so they’re entering the race with a good mindset,” he said.

Another of Fairweather’s charges Laura Whaler is entered into the 100m and 200m at the Perth event and hopes to get a late kick start to her season.

“This is her first real race for the season,” Fairweather said.

“She entered into the Hunter Track Classic more to support her local meet even though she wasn’t 100 per cent.

“She’s in much better shape now and she’s going to Perth to hopefully chop a bit off her time, perhaps aim for a personal best.”

The only other athlete from Fairweather’s squad heading to Perth is Liam Gander. The Newcastle sprinter is entered in the 100m and 200m.

Flamboyant Hunter athlete Benn Harradine will also line up in the discus. Harradine made a splash at the Hunter Track Classic when he competed in a psychedelic costume, finishing second to US rival Russ Winger.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Steinert confident of ‘A’ time on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
best wishes
to Pirrenee
from all her fans in Adelaide

and to Sheena as well

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum