PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Nia Ali her to give Sally Pearson some oppostion over the sticks

Nia Ali her to give Sally Pearson some oppostion over the sticks

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/12808667/early-bird-striving-to-catch-pearson/

Early bird striving to catch Pearson

Gene Stephan,
The West Australian
February 4, 2012,

Nia Ali relaxing at Scarborough Beach before next
week's event in Perth

Nia Ali, one of the most exciting young sprint hurdlers in the US, has arrived early to prepare for her showdown against Australian world champion Sally Pearson at the Go for 2&5 Track Classic at the WA Athletics Stadium next Saturday.

The 23-year-old, who graduated from the University of Southern California with a psychology major last year, is chasing selection in her first Olympic team for London, where she faces stiff competition from Olympic champion Dawn Harper and world championship silver medallist Danielle Carruthers.

Ali, who focused on the heptathlon throughout a successful collegiate career, has decided to dedicate herself to the 100m hurdles, where she recorded the eighth fastest time in the world last year despite being a relative novice.

She arrived in Perth on Tuesday to allow herself the best preparation to take on the top-ranked hurdler in the world, while also escaping the US winter where the temperature was 5C at her home in Philadelphia.

Ali said the cold had made training difficult in the US.

"The weather plays a big role, but one of my training partners, John Steffensen, was also here along with my coach, Darrell Smith, so the opportunity to come out and train here and race against someone as good as Sally so early in my season, when others are still racing indoors, was a great opportunity," she said.

Ali, who recorded a personal best 12.63sec. to win the NCAA title, said she was fully committed to the hurdles but could not tell what the future held.

She believes the key is to execute with a new coach, having previously worked with a collegiate coach.

Ali has only had a couple of outings against Pearson and believes the experience racing in Perth, and also in Sydney on February 18, will prove invaluable experience for three hurdles spots in the US team for trials in June.

"It is such a tight race and all the Americans are within close range, so it can be anyone's race and whoever executes best will be selected," Ali said.

"I am confident that if I follow the program my coach has laid down, I should have a good shot."

Other American big names for the Perth Track Classic include Olympic discus champion Stephanie Brown- Trafton, US javelin record holder Kara Patterson and former pole vault champion Mark Hollis.

"If I follow the program … I should have a good shot."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum