PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sibling rivalry unsettles Steinert

Sibling rivalry unsettles Steinert

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sibling rivalry unsettles Steinert on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/sibling-rivalry-unsettles-steinert/2428101.aspx?storypage=0

Sibling rivalry unsettles Steinert

BY JOSH LEESON
Newcastle Herald
23 Jan, 2012

PIRRENEE Steinert admitted she needed to learn how to race against her identical twin sister Sheena after struggling with nerves in their 400-metres showdown at the Hunter Track Classic on Saturday night.

The Adamstown flyer set a cracking pace early and led the field before 17-time Australian champion Tamsyn Manou (nee Lewis) reeled in Steinert in the final 100m to win her third crown in as many appearances at the Hunter Sports Centre.

A southern headwind affected times as Manou won the main event in 53.14seconds ahead of Steinert (53.57), which is more than two seconds outside an A-qualifying time for the London Olympics.

Sheena Steinert finished fifth in 54.67, in the first time the 26-year-old sisters have competed against each at senior level.

‘‘I was pretty nervous for three days which was pretty abnormal,’’ Pirrenee Steinert said. ‘‘I think having my twin sister threw me off.

‘‘I have no idea why.

‘‘The first part of my race was pretty good, but I didn’t expect to drop off like I did in the last 100. I’m usually strong there.’’

Steinert was aggressive out of the blocks and said she would talk to coach Tony Fairweather about whether to alter her approach.

‘‘I’ve got to chat to my coach and find out what happened. Maybe I went out too hard with the wind,’’ she said.

Despite finishing second, Steinert received high praise from Manou, who was her teammate in the Australian 4x400m relay team at the Delhi Commonwealth Games.

‘‘She’s an amazing athlete,’’ Manou said.

‘‘I knew exactly what she was capable of, so I just ran as fast as I could.

‘‘I was so impressed with how she attacked that race.

‘‘It hurt her coming home because she went out so hard, but I know by doing what she did it will have opened doors and her next race will be even better. She’s one to watch.’’

Manou announced after her victory that it would be her final appearance at Glendale as she intends to retire after the London Olympics.

The three-time Commonwealth Games gold medallist was an obvious favourite among the 2500 spectators, and the event holds a special place for her.

‘‘I probably wasn’t ready to race tonight, but because it was this meet and I think [organiser] Scott Westcott and the organising committee do such a good job, so I came,’’ she said.

‘‘It’s definitely my favourite event on the program.’’

It was not a happy night for other members of Fairweather’s stable with both Liam Gander and Laura Whaler failing to pick up victories.

Whaler was second in the women’s 200m in 24.69, behind Victorian winner Kendra Hubbard, and third in the 100m in 12.17 behind Sydney’s Jessica Knox (11.94) and Queensland’s Crystal Attenborough (12.15).

Sydney’s Tim Leathart (10.57) won the men’s 100m from Queenslander Andrew McCabe (10.66) and Gander (10.67). Gander’s cousin Dallas Green broke down in the 100m with a hamstring injury.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum