PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Women's 4x100m team struggles while Sam Cook turns up in Men's 4x400

Women's 4x100m team struggles while Sam Cook turns up in Men's 4x400

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/pacy-pearson-off-and-running-in-gold-hunt/story-e6frgdg6-1226244889545

Pacy Pearson off and running in gold hunt

by: Glenda Korporaal
January 16, 2012

WORLD 100m hurdles champion Sally Pearson has signalled she is on track for a strong Olympic year, running an Olympic A qualifying time of 11.25sec in the 100m sprint at the Brisbane Track Classic on Saturday.

The performance, in her first competition of the year, confirms Pearson's assurances last week that she had recovered from a thigh muscle strain after a country meeting in Victoria last December and is capable of faster times later in the season. Pearson said the time showed that if she kept looking after her body, she could run faster and would be on track to win a gold medal in the London Olympics in July.

"I'm really confident that I have the potential to win a gold medal," she said after the race. "I am not feeling any pressure because I know I can do it."

Pearson, who won the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, last August, easily won the 100m event in a time which was 0.1sec faster than the 11.35sec she ran in the Brisbane meeting last year.

As world champion, Pearson is an automatic selection for the Australian Olympic athletics team but her strong performance in the sprint event signals that she is shaping up for another excellent year.

But her teammates in the 4x100m relay on Saturday night were disappointing, their time of 44.01sec not helping their bid to qualify for the London Games.

The team, which includes Pearson, Melissa Breen, Hayley Butler and Charlotte Van Veenendaal, is still hoping to get a place in the Games. They must place in the top 16 in the world to qualify.

Pearson's coach Sharon Hannan, who is also in charge of the relay team, said last week that she was looking for a time of 43.2sec in their race.

Pearson said the relay team was "very disappointed about the time".

"We are all in good shape, so we don't understand. We are still in the top 16, but a place is not guaranteed. We have just got to get faster."

Former world 400m hurdles champion Jana Pittman did not have a good start to the year, beaten by national 400m hurdles champion Lauren Boden over 300m on Saturday night.

Boden won in 38.20sec with Pittman, who recently split with long-time coach Phil King, coming second in 39.02sec. Pittman and Boden both ran in the winning 4x400m relay on Saturday night but the time of 3min 34.12sec was well outside what they need to qualify for London.

The men's 4x400 metre relay team is considered the most likely Australian relay team to qualify, currently ranking 10th in the world.

The team of Ben Offereins, Kevin Moore, Sean Wroe and Sam Cook, easily won their race on Saturday night in 3:5.84.

This the second article I've read where 'Sam Cook' ran in the 4 x 400m. I guess that's what happens when you've got journalists reporting on athletics who know very little about the sport. Sam Cook should have read Brendan Cole.

I think expecting the girls to run 43.2 in the 4 x 100m was very ambitious. While Pearson & Breen are obviously in very good nick, Butler & Van Veenendaal had very little form to go on and judging by the results, neither is in mid 11s shape. In hindsight Jessica Knox might have been a better option.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Whilst I agree with you based on her Brisbane 200m result, Youngy, if you saw CVV at the Gippsland Gift in each of her races, especially the Women's final, you might change your mind about her form.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum