PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sally Pearson eyes 100m hurdles world record

Sally Pearson eyes 100m hurdles world record

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sally Pearson eyes 100m hurdles world record on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/london-olympics/sally-pearson-eyes-100m-hurdles-world-record/story-fn9dirj0-1226244014738

Sally Pearson eyes 100m hurdles world record

* by: Adam Head
* January 14, 2012

IN SALLY Pearson's mind, de facto records and near misses are worthless.

All that matters is a maiden Olympic title and a world record, in that order. For the first time, Pearson and her coach Sharon Hannan have revealed their blueprint for breaking the 23-year-old 100m hurdles world record.

It all hangs on the owner of that mark, Bulgarian Yordanka Donkova, one of only four women in history who have gone faster than Pearson's 12.28sec.

Those who competed and coached during the dominance of the Eastern Bloc countries at the height of the Cold War already regard the Queenslander's world championship-winning time as a de facto record.

The powerfully built Donkova and her compatriots dominated the track during an era tainted by widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Pearson, who opens her Olympic year campaign tonight at the Brisbane Track Classic, is 0.07sec away from the fastest time in history.

She competes in an environment hostile towards sports doping, with testing an almost weekly routine.

Yet moral victories are of no consolation.

"Those girls never tested positive to drugs," Pearson said. "The time stands, I didn't break it, I'm not the world record-holder.

"It doesn't give me any satisfaction. The one that's there is the one that counts.

"When I break it, I will be the world record-holder and there will be no ifs or buts."

The challenge facing the 25-year-old Olympic favourite and her mentor is unearthing data on Donkova's time, set at a low-key meet in Stara Zagora, Bulgaria.

Hannan has searched endlessly and fruitlessly for video footage of the race. Nor can she find vision of Donkova's next best, a heat run of 12.24 at the same meet.

Thankfully, a French bio- mechanist has uncovered data on Donkova's quicker times, which Hannan believes could be the key to lowering Pearson's personal best.

Without even factoring in the Bulgarian's splits, the wily Hannan has already highlighted room for improvement.

"In the (world championships) final, Sally's time off the last hurdle was slower than several of her other records so maybe we can pick up three-hundredths there. Perhaps another hundredth at the start," Hannan said. "The rest will have to come from the whole race segment, a thousandth here and a thousandth there. People talk about one-per-centers, it's a-tenth-of-a-per-center now."

Techno-babble does not concern the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games silver medallist. The magic of the Pearson-Hannan dynamic is they respect and understand each other's roles.

"I don't try to get stuck into the scientific stuff because it's too much," Pearson said. "If I can run with ease, and not have that sort of stress, then I race better."

It all starts tonight at Nathan's Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre where the Gold Coast track star hopes to help her 4x100m relay team to a qualifying mark. There will be no gold medals or world records handed out but somewhere, in the back of Pearson's mind, that dream is becoming more vivid.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum