PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Cole gets unexpected Gift in preparation for London

Cole gets unexpected Gift in preparation for London

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/cole-gets-unexpected-gift-in-preparation-for-london/2408431.aspx

Cole gets unexpected Gift in preparation for London

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE
Canberra Times
03 Jan, 2012

Brendan Cole will launch his campaign to qualify for the London Olympics full of confidence after his first Gift win.

Cole has spent the past week in Tasmania, competing in 10 races over six days, and capped it off with a surprise victory in the 120m Burnie Gift on New Year's Day.

The 30-year-old will now switch his focus to his pet event, the 400m hurdles, with an inter-club race to warm up for the Australian Athletics Tour.

''Our domestic season for amateur athletics kicks off next weekend so we'll start running over hurdles and we've basically got every weekend from now until the Olympic trials [in Melbourne] in March filled with competition,'' Cole said.

''It's all go now for the real part of the year, which for us is the Olympic Games [starting in July].''

And if it wasn't for fatigue from a busy Tassie schedule, Cole might not have won the $10,000 Gift.

He was meant to run in the 400m at Burnie but switched to the 120m to save his ageing legs.

The decision proved fruitful, with Cole winning one of the closest Burnie Gifts by just three one thousandths of a second - about 3mm - from Tasmania's Edward Gates.

It took several minutes for judges to decide a winner, with Cole getting the nod with a time of 12.13sec.

Victoria's Adrian Mott was third.

''My plan was to only do 400s, being my distance and knowing if I was able to get through potentially eight 400s that would be exactly what I wanted to get into the legs,'' he said.

''It was only a last-minute decision yesterday to switch and not do the 400 and do the Gift ... I couldn't be bothered doing another full 400, I was really tired, it'd been a big week.''

It was a successful campaign for the Matt Beckenham stable, of which Cole is a part.

In Devonport, Cole ran second in the 200m and fourth in the 400m, after he finished second in the 400m in Latrobe.

Fellow Canberrans Lauren Boden and Mel Breen also had successful trips to the Apple Isle.

Breen was second in the women's 120m in Burnie, won the 70m in Devonport and was also third in the 200m, and finished fourth in the 120m at Latrobe.

Boden took out the 200m in Devonport and the 400m in Latrobe, and finished second in the 400m in Devonport as well.

''Both the girls are firing and in really good shape. It was a really good exposure of how well everyone's running in the squad,'' Cole said.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum