PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Eddie Gates philosophical about Burnie loss

Eddie Gates philosophical about Burnie loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Eddie Gates philosophical about Burnie loss on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/not-brooding-over-close-finish-to-gift/2408385.aspx

Not brooding over close finish to Gift
BY SHANNON SHEPHARD
The Advocate
03 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM

PHILOSOPHICAL in defeat, Highclere runner Eddie Gates was not interested in contemplating what could have been following Sunday night's second placing in the Burnie Gift.

Just three one thousandths of a second separated Gates from Australian sprint champion Brendan Cole, in what will go down as one of the closest Gift finishes in the history of the Burnie New Year's Day Carnival.

"It was definitely a good race," Gates said yesterday.

"I'm happy with how I went ... there were some pretty good runners in the field."

Gates would have become the first Coastal winner in 14 years, since Somerset's Shaun Turale won off 8.75m back in 1998.

Unfortunately, Sunday night's result fell the same way so many others have for Gates over the past month.

So far this season, Gates has finished second in a total of six races, including the Rosebery Gift along with the 200m and 400m handicap events on the same day, the Devonport Gift last week, the Open 90m Handicap on Sunday and of course the Burnie Gift just hours later.

"I haven't had a win but I've had a good season," he said.

"It would have to be my most successful carnival so far."

Reliving Sunday night's race, Gates admitted he thought he had claimed the title minutes after the race.

"I got off to a good start," he said.

"Then at about the halfway point, I saw a (Cole's) shadow coming up on me so I thought I better move a bit quicker.

"I lunged over the line and looked to my left and saw him cross the line too but it looked like I had him.

"Obviously it would have been good to win but I'm happy with how I went." A strong talent on the Coastal hockey scene, playing with the City Marians, Gates took up running four years ago mainly to keep fit for the sport and has been a regular in the Basslink Carnivals since.

Gates has been under the guidance of Coastal running veteran John McLaren, who coached 1978 Gift winner Gary Wescombe.

While admitting there was a sense of disappointment for the young athlete, McLaren said there were plenty of positives to take from the experience.

"I'm elated he run so well, he has worked hard for it," McLaren said.

"The judges gave their decision and there was no point jumping up and down about it.

"You win some, you lose some and there are still plenty more races on the horizon for him.

"He is a nice young lad who does as he is told, has good family support and works hard, so provided things stay on track, who knows what he could do."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

biggiesmalls

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Looked the winner in every stride, newspaper photo, and second of the race.

How on earth did he lose?

The way Eddie got beat reminds me of how Darren Batt got beat by Mark Hipworth in the final of the 1986 Burnie Gift. I remember a person who had video taped this particular final had absolute proof that Darren had won but was told that the judges decision is final. The person who filmed this had absolutly no connection to either Batt or Hipworth. Thank goodness that we now have modern technology to solve such disputes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum