PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » changes you would like to see at the BAY

changes you would like to see at the BAY

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 changes you would like to see at the BAY on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
People come to watch athletics at Colley because of the closeness of the action so theres a real need for speed.
The 1600m selected is a great tactical race and interesting to watch it unfold.
Why not also add THE SELECTED COLLEY LAP.Could you imagine the excitement of watching CWatkins,BWatkins,JBoden,ASaliu,ESapac,ACoote going for broke over one lap.Even throw in Wurm,Woodhams etc.No tactics just sheer speed.Never been done before for just one lap at Colley.Handicap event with approx 10metres separating the whole field.The initial feild would have to include emergances to cater for those pulling out if they make the gift final.Maybe interstate challenge.
Also the backmarkers is as interesting as watching the hair growing under a Russian womans armpits.Why not have the same field but run under a skins format with two going out the first race and two the next so theres only three 50m races instead of the usual 4 or 5 in the format.We have to make it interesting to the spectators so they go away and sat THAT WAS GREAT.
Only my suggestions ,DO YOU AGREE or have you your own .

2 Whispers Idea on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 pm

John LeRay

Whispers - I like your idea, but 400m premier runners would go off at a tangent and finish up in the bookies stand at the Rotunda end and in the front bar of the Pier hotel at the sharper boat harbour end. Also the knees and ankles would be tested. Your an ideas man - keep them coming.

3 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 pm

S.hill

I like your thinking whispers. Gotta agree with John though about the 400. Can you imagine clay alex byrce and James all having to slow down around the final bend at the same time. Bound to see someone get Hurt.

4 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 am

CamYorke

I like the idea...what about an individual time trial then to avoid the extremely likely scenario of a crash...maybe of handicap marks, maybe off scratch?? You would maybe need a big clock, so public could see time and if you were really clever could broadcast a half way split.

Best atmosphere of any carnival in Australia, why not make it the most innovative also.

5 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:49 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
It probably wouldn't be as fast as you might expect given the necessity of conserving to deal with 3 accelerations. But if speed was a genuine concern, you could always make it a 550 time trial. Pick 8 of the fastest 550 runners going around, apply only minimal handicaps, stick a giant clock in the middle, and provide 2 splits along the way like a downhill ski event.

6 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:54 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
You could run the top 2 runners off in a match race with one finishing in the usual place and the other finishing at an equivalent location on the back straight.

7 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Like your second idea Tom but the idea of only one lap is that ONE LAP would be unique and one lap of 300plus a few metres caters for the sprinters as well as the middle distances.

8 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Running Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
It's good that you're thinking but in my opinion one sprint lap of Colley would be far too hectic. While it may be good viewing it would be dreadful to run and no fun at all for the competitors. For myself personally you'd also have to remove the 550m from the program for me to even consider running a 300m. A lot of the athletes you mention care a great deal about amateurs and use the Bay Sheffield as somewhat of a training session, while still trying to win of course, so a race that has higher potential for injury than others would likely be overlooked.

I don't think the Bay needs too many changes or additions honestly. It is the most exciting by far when the races are close and come right down to the line, which just requires the handicaps to be spot on as well as some limits to be enforced. I'm talking men's 550m, 035 mile, select mile and not what happened in the men's 800m or women's mile. I know the handicapper tries and the intention is always for a close race but sometimes it just seems really questionable.

Otherwise I'm not sure if it's a technical issue or what the case is but in my opinion there was too much time between gift heats. It got boring pretty fast sitting around waiting for the next heat every few minutes for an hour. Had I not known most people running I would've probably walked away during that time. I can say about the people I know who weren't runners, the only races that kept their interest long enough to watch were the ones that were close, regardless of distance or had people they knew in them.

To sum up:
- I probably wouldn't run a 300m around that track
- Handicap limits in the circle events
- Less downtime

This past Bay Sheffield was a great event and just needs some fine tuning I'd say.

9 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:54 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I totally agree with you regarding time between heats, particularly the sprint events.

Parading is nice, but it loses it's appeal when it happens every single time, and takes a chunk of time each race. Add in the hypocrisy of DQing interstate athletes who failed to parade but letting SA athletes run and it seems like a meaningless exercise. Three minutes between heats is ok, but four minutes seems to drag on, particularly given the high number of heats with four or fewer athletes in them. If the semi finals aren't seeded, then why do heats where the number of competitors matches the number of qualifiers through to the next round even need to be run? The competitors have zero reason to run fast; they'll jog down the track slower than Dallas Green and it only detracts from the spectacle.

10 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:51 am

I think the parading should be purely for the 120m open and women's events only, its time consuming and obviously difficult for some competitors to come to terms with (not sure how) and clearly by the sounds of things has caused issues with some competitors being allow to run and others not based on ????

11 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:06 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Cant really see the reason to parade when its not done at other meets.
Ditto everyone else ,waste of time.
Maybe keep it for Bay semis and other sprint finals.
Would also save us from watching Stokesy jog up the track in his Antartic tracksuit.

12 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 am

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
hey Whispers, whoever you are,

Happy New Year to you as well.

May your haemorrhoids ease up a bit, mate.

I hope the rest of your spoutings are more factual than the crap you spray in my direction.

I am an older athlete who feels the cold, so I wore coat and track suit pants in the marshalling area - but I stripped to race gear for the parades.

Last April at the Bay, my neck seized up from the cold and it cost me a lot in terms of pain and lost income.

So I protect myself from a recurrence of that by keeping warm.

Best wishes.

13 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Stokesy wrote:

Last April at the Bay, my neck seized up from the cold and it cost me a lot in terms of pain and lost income.

So I protect myself from a recurrence of that by keeping warm.

Is this bloke legit?

Smoke is back!

14 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Happy New Year to you too, Smoke etc whoever you are.

What do you mean exactly?

Is legit sort for legitimate, meaning not a bastard?

Are you enquiring as to my parentage?

Look, my mother and father are both long dead.

They were married but she was a methodist and he was a roman catholic so according to roman catholic doctrine at the time, their marriage was not valid.

So take your pick on the legit question.

Best wishes

15 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:03 pm

I sympathise with you on the neck problems, thankfully lately I havent had any but when I do its no fun. I have to say though that 23 is hardly cold but you are well in your right to wear what ever you like to the marshalling area. Certainly as you get older I think the cold plays a bigger part in preparing to compete or train.
Could we see you later in the season wearing something like the Bahrain sprinter Al Gassra, when it cools later in the season? lol! What a waste she'd run so much quicker without that clothing.
I know Andrew Matthews somehow got away with wearing his warm up clothes parading, does that mean we are back to the thread one rule for some and another rule for others? Very Happy
oh and Happy New Year

16 Happy New Year on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Stokesy

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
hey Happy New Year to you Over35er

- I just read a fine book called Born To Run which included the new-to-me notion that our neck is crucial to running, with the Nuchal ligament attached to the base of the back of the skull being powered by neck and shoulder and upper back muscles -

best wishes

17 Re: changes you would like to see at the BAY on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Totally agree Brett apart from the Bay this year my performances have been at there best after a visit during the week to the Chiro, more often then not I'm too busy and let that side of things go.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum