PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Robinson beats Hargreaves boys to line in Latrobe Gift

Robinson beats Hargreaves boys to line in Latrobe Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/sprinter-wins-in-photo-finish/2404670.aspx

Sprinter wins in photo finish

PHIL EDWARDS
The Examiner
28 Dec, 2011

LAUNCESTON sprinter Andrew Robinson pulled off the biggest win of his young career by taking out the $5000 Latrobe men's gift yesterday.

The 19-year-old frontmarker, trained by Ray Quarrell, had a nervous wait as judges studied photos of the finish to determine whether Robinson or Victorian backmarker Matt Hargreaves had got up after both were locked in a photo finish on the line.

Robinson ran strongly from the start and appeared to have the field's measure, but Hargreaves put in a blistering finish to almost snatch the race from his backmark of 6.50 metres.

Hargreaves's brother Chris finished in third place, with both John Henry-trained sprinters qualifying for the final.

``It was very good and I wanted that one for a while,'' Robinson said after his win.

``Last year I felt disappointed come the end of it, but this year I felt good in the heat and semi and I thought if I just dug deep in the last 50, being the frontmarker, I could get through it.''

Robinson said he was worried initially that he missed out and said he would have been disappointed with second.

``It's my best win by a long way and to win at Christmas I can't describe the feeling- it's fantastic- and to win here at Latrobe where dad came second in 1978,'' he said.

``Matt came hard very strong but I dug in and I got there- a close race is a good race.''

Running from a mark of 7.5 metres, Robinson won his heat in 12.81 seconds, finished second behind Hargreaves in his semi final and then turned the tables in the one that counted in a winning time of 12.80.

Robinson has been in consistent form during the warm-up carnivals, making eight of nine finals and placing in all the finals he made.

He said he felt strong throughout the race.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum