PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals.

Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:18 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
"Burbidge will now join Josh Ross, Adrian Mott and Aaron Stubbs - and Bay Sheffield Gift winner Jordan Caldow - in what will be the strongest ever field in the 125-year history of the Burnie Gift."

I'm a big fan of the Burnie Gift and I don't want to rain on their parade, but they are kidding themselves if they think this is the strongest ever field in the event's history.

I've been to over a dozen Burnie Gifts since 1981 (JH, a lot more than I. Razz ) and I can recall the class backmarkers that ran so deep that there would have been as many as 10 sub 10.6 runners in a field of 100 plus athletes spread through 15 heats. Some of the fields had a dozen guys on less than 5.0.

Josh Ross is the only genuine sub 10.4 runner in the field and with Adrian Mott, the only two who have PB's under 10.6. (Brandon Galic aside who is now out of the field.)

Statistically Ross is the best athlete to ever run in a Burnie Gift, so if it is based on one athlete then they have a case. But in terms of the entire field - it is better than recent years but not the best ever.

PS: I am not sure if they haven't had four Stawell Gift winners at Burnie before - I reckon there might have been four in a few of the fields in the 1980's....but I need to check some old programs.

It is certainly the best for a long while and will be terrific to watch a Burnie Gift with the likes of the four Stawell winners and Caldow running in the heats.

Last edited by youngy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

2 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:28 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/burbridge-in-as-rash-forces-galic-out-of-burnie-gift/2402178.aspx

Burbridge in as rash forces Galic out of Burnie Gift

TERRY MORRIS
The Examiner
23 Dec, 2011

A RECORD four Stawell Gift winners will face the starter's gun in the $15,000 Burnie Gift, to be run at West Park on New Year's Day, following the late entry of 2010 victor Tom Burbridge.
The entry of Burbridge was accepted yesterday following the scratching of his training partner Brandan Galic.

Burbridge will join Josh Ross, Adrian Mott and Aaron Stubbs as winners of the Stawell Gift, recognised as Australia's most prestigious foot race.

``It is the first time four Stawell Gift winners will have run at Burnie on the same day and Burbridge's entry adds further to the depth of quality in the race,'' athletics co-ordinator Rod Walker said.

``It's getting back to the days when they used to run 20 heats.''

Burbridge has indicated that he will run on both nights of the Devonport carnival in the 200m and 400m events and then the Burnie Gift and the 400m handicap at West Park.

Burbridge is trained in Canberra by national coach Matt Beckenham, who is represented at the carnivals for the second time.

Beckenham planned to bring eight runners, including Galic, to the carnivals but had to make a late change when Galic was hospitalised after falling ill.

Galic, who was to have run off 5.25m in the Burnie Gift, treated a rash on his leg and after taking medication the rash spread over his whole body.

Burbridge's late entry was accepted by the Tasmanian Athletic League under its wildcard system, which allows for runners affected by injury or illness to be replaced in the major events.

Walker said the decision by Beckenham to find a late replacement for Galic indicated his commitment to the carnivals.

Beckenham will also be represented by Commonwealth Games representatives Lauren Moden, Brendan Cole, Mellisa Breen, Ollie Wurn, Luke Storta, Michelle French and the coach himself.

3 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:34 am

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Youngy

With the distance events already decided thanks to ridiculous handicapping, the locals are just trying to generate some spice and flava to the masses

Will be interesting to see how much Beckenham Bounce "Bad Back" Burbidge receives? Beat the Blonde Bomshell by 2 yards last weekend.

4 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:39 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Smoke n Mirrorz wrote:Youngy

With the distance events already decided thanks to ridiculous handicapping, the locals are just trying to generate some spice and flava to the masses

Will be interesting to see how much Beckenham Bounce "Bad Back" Burbidge receives? Beat the Blonde Bomshell by 2 yards last weekend.

Point taken.

It's the pro-running purist coming out in me! Razz

5 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:30 am

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
How have the distance events already been decided?

6 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:43 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
ToM wrote:How have the distance events already been decided?

Take a look at the marks of Ferguson, s.Morey, and N.Morey and you'll quickly realise what Smoke and Mirorz is talking about.

It's just a pity that the Victorian runners travelling over have little chance even before the gun has gone.

I know this sounds like just another 'my handicap isn't fair' rant, but I'm not even in the field and I can see that a 3.44 1500m and 8.20m 3km runner off 70m in the Miles and 55m in the 800m should romp it in.

7 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:06 pm

ToM

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
DizzyRunner wrote:
ToM wrote:How have the distance events already been decided?

Take a look at the marks of Ferguson, s.Morey, and N.Morey and you'll quickly realise what Smoke and Mirorz is talking about.

It's just a pity that the Victorian runners travelling over have little chance even before the gun has gone.

I know this sounds like just another 'my handicap isn't fair' rant, but I'm not even in the field and I can see that a 3.44 1500m and 8.20m 3km runner off 70m in the Miles and 55m in the 800m should romp it in.
Jesus H. etc.

I don't know the individual athletes, but 70m for a runner who's even close to a 3.44 1500m PB seems generous unless you've got the reigning Olympic champion in the field.

I'm starting to understand your point.

8 Re: Burbidge late entry at Tas. Carnivals. on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Smoke n Mirrorz

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Smoke n Mirrorz wrote:Youngy

Burbidge Beckenham Bounce = 13m in the 200?? If Mirrorz was on site a mad rush to the bookies would've followed!

What a ********* joke!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum