PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Bull's 'little dip' takes Gift

Bull's 'little dip' takes Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bull's 'little dip' takes Gift on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/bulls-little-dip-takes-gift/2396582.aspx

Bull's 'little dip' takes Gift

By COURTNEY REES
Canberra Times
18 Dec, 2011

KARA BULL and Chris Hargreaves have each pocketed $10,000 after winning the Queanbeyan Gift over 120m yesterday.
In a first for any gift event in the country, the men and women were running for equal prizemoney.

Bull, a kindergarten teacher at Maitland, just held off last year's runner-up Laura-Jane Hilditch to win the women's gift by the slimmest of margins, 0.01sec.

A photo finish was required to split the pair with Bull, who was running off 15m, just coming out in front of Hilditch, who came off a 9m handicap.

Bull rated the win as the highlight of her career.

''I've just started to do the pro-racing and it has been the best choice I have ever made in my athletics career. It is wonderful,'' she said.

Bull had an anxious wait for the judges's decision, not knowing if she had come out on top.

''I could not tell. My coach keeps reminding me about dipping at the end of the line and I thought I had better put it in,'' she said.

''I think it was just that little dip at the end that made all the difference.

''I just ran scared and tried my best to be the first person to the white line.''

Hargreaves held off a class field which included the five-time Australian 100m champion Joshua Ross, who finished third.

Hargreaves, who flew in yesterday from Werribee to compete in the event, was left disappointed three weeks ago when the sprint was postponed after heavy rain flooded Queanbeyan Park.

The victory was also a career highlight for Hargreaves, especially with Ross in the field.

''It is the biggest win I have had,'' Hargreaves said.

''I have made a lot of finals but I never seem to win, so it was good to finally get up in a big race.''

Hargreaves was off a 9m handicap and stopped the clock in a blistering 12.75sec.

''It was a big PB,'' he said. ''I knew they there coming but I was lucky enough to hold them off.''

Ross is making a comeback to athletics after spending the last two seasons away from the sport but he now has the 2012 London Olympics in his sights.

''I was confident I could take it out but I am happy with how I felt,'' Ross said.

''I'm running well and it's an indicator to keep doing what I'm going.''

Canberra's Jesse Matthews was fifth in the men's final and Lauren Boden finished a disappointing eighth in the women's final.

Melissa Breen and Daniel Batman both failed to progress from the semi-finals.

Chris Hargreaves (black) wins the Queanbeyan Gift.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum