PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Beach Boy takes 2011 Cowra Gift

Beach Boy takes 2011 Cowra Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Beach Boy takes 2011 Cowra Gift on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.cowraguardian.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/beach-boy-breaks-through-for-a-cowra-christmas-gift/2389107.aspx?storypage=0

Beach boy breaks through for a Cowra Christmas Gift

Cowra Guardian
12 Dec, 2011

Sand blaster: Collaroy beach sprinter Elliott Marynissen (red)
wins the Essential Energy Cowra Gift with Jesse Matthews,
Kaleen, (white) and Glen Stephens, Bendigo (green) filling the
minor placings.

Northern beaches sprinter, Elliott Marynissen, will return to Sydney with a better bank balance but also richer for the experience after his victory at the second Essential Energy Cowra Gift held on Saturday at Twigg Oval.

Marynissen (2m), the final’s back marker, showed a clean pair of heels to run down the other contenders in a slick time of 13.06 seconds.

The young Sydneysider honed his skills as a beach sprinter on the sand at Collaroy and showed that he is a force to be reckoned with on the unfamiliar green surface.

“This is my second ever run on grass and I’ve enjoyed it, but I feel most comfortable on the beach, that’s for sure,” he said.

“My first gift was in Newcastle and I managed second place there and I was meant to have Queanbeyan a couple of weeks ago but that was called off.”

Marynissen’s run was even more remarkable considering he has completed limited preparation due to an injury sustained in the Newcastle meet.

“I actually injured myself in Newcastle tearing my quad, so I had my first run on the beach last week.

“I have only trained three or four days of actual running since Newcastle, so it was an awesome result.

“My first run of the day was a bit tough but after that I loosened up and it seems like the injury has come good, so I felt I ran well.

“The surface was very good. Not that I’m too accustomed to running on grass, but it was a nice flat surface and not too firm, which I struggle with because I’m used to the sinking sand, but I enjoyed it.”

Marynissen dedicated his win to George Matchett, a Kings schoolmate who drowned tragically at a beach in Wollongong earlier this year and was made more meaningful by a visit from George’s parents, residents of Grenfell, during the day.

“They came down to watch me for my heat and semi which was good, that was pretty special.

“It’s my first time in Cowra and I love it. It’s definitely the total opposite from where I’m from. I was sitting in the coffee shop eating breakfast this morning and everyone knows everyone which is pretty cool.”

Demonstrating the diversity of the athletes in attendance, long jumper, Amy McIlrick (Yass), took out the Beechwood Homes Women’s Gift in a time of 14.16 seconds.

McIlrick (4.75m) finished strongly, clinching the title in her first Cowra Gift.

“I was entered last year when it was postponed and the rescheduled time clashed with a long jump competition which was a greater priority for me.

“I haven’t done much running gift-wise prior to this race. I was entered in to the Queanbeyan Gift when it was postponed due to the wet conditions a couple of weeks ago, so this is my first gift for the season. Training has been going very well so it is nice for it to transfer onto the competitive field.

“The extra five metres [given to all runners] was tough and the final definitely felt better than the heat.”

For McIlrick, racing in gifts is all about the enjoyment it brings.

“Gifts are fun. If you make the final and you get prizemoney that’s awesome, but for me it’s a good day with a good atmosphere.

“I found the program gave me enough time to recover between the 70m and women’s gift heats and finals, but that is always a concern for me, as a long jumper, whether I can bust out three 120m quite quickly in one day, but I didn’t feel too bad today.

“The Cowra Gift has potential on the professional running circuit, maybe it needs a bit more promotion, but I really enjoyed it. It is run the same as every other carnival; the runners are friendly yet competitive. If it ran a little earlier in the season then there may be more chance to get some of the more elite athletes. It is not that far from Canberra. Maybe in the future, if prizemoney continues to increase and it is promoted well, the athletes will come. It is a good little carnival.”

While not figuring in the final placings, Cowra competitors, Brooke White, Tom Sharkey and David Houghton gave a good account of themselves on the day.

Sharkey made the final of the Beecher Wool Services Novice 120m event, but the troublesome hamstring injury which has plagued his preparation did not stand up to the rigours of the repeated sprints on the day as well as he’d hoped.

Forecasts of rain throughout the week did not eventuate and the overcast skies for much of the afternoon made conditions almost ideal for the athletes who had come from Sydney, the Central Coast, ACT and Victoria.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum