PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Coach Cooper sets example for stable of 15

Coach Cooper sets example for stable of 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Coach Cooper sets example for stable of 15 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/cooper-leads-by-example/2387224.aspx

Cooper leads by example

The Ararat Advertiser
09 Dec, 2011

ARARAT - Ararat athletics coach Marcus Cooper led by example at the Terang Gift meeting, taking out the Rotary Club of Terang Jack McCunnie Frontmarkers 70 metres event.

Cooper (1.25m) claimed a narrow win with a time of 8.52 from Paul Keating (1.5) and John Hilditch (4m), but almost didn't race after waking up that morning with a headache.

"I thought I'd run my heat and see how I went. I was off 1.25 metres, so I thought it could be difficult, but I was very happy," he said.

"It was one of the best wins I've ever had."

Cooper said he was pleased to be able to set a good example for his stable of young runners.

Nine Ararat runners competed at Terang and Cooper was thrilled with both their results and their improvement over the past 12 months.

He said those who competed at Terang the previous year had bettered themselves remarkably.

"Last time some of them died half way through the race, but this time they were able to run it out," Cooper said.

The Terang meeting marked the Cooper stable's first competition for the season.

Cooper said it was good to hit the track and to see his runners make so many finals.

"I think we had finalists in every race bar the 400 metres and the 800 metres," he said.

AFL hopeful Lauchie Dalgleish (7.25m) claimed the day's main event, the 120-metre Terang Gift in the time of 12.57 from Gus Carty-Cowling (8.25) and Rod Mathews (10.75).

Cooper and Lachie Malloy also made the semi finals of the Gift, while Sarah Blizzard and Julia Boatman made the final of the 120-metre women's/veterans' event and the 70-metre frontmarkers' event.

Dalgleish also made the final of the 70-metre backmarkers' event.

"Ruby Klemm and Tayla Notting had their first run in the 1600 metres and Tiffany Boatman ran one of the best 300 metres I've ever seen her run. She got passed but nearly came back to win it," Cooper said.

Cooper is currently training about 15 runners, up to three times a week.

"The Cooper stable, as we call it, is growing stronger and stronger," he said.

"My wife Rachael is a dietician and she helps out. We make a good little team."

Cooper said those who had began training with him were already seeing the benefits.

"It keeps you fit and healthy and it doesn't get any better than that."

Anyone is welcome to join in a training session and those who train do not have to compete.

The group meets at Alexandra Oval at 5.45pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10am on Sundays.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum