PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Cocks family are three of a kind

Cocks family are three of a kind

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Cocks family are three of a kind on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/runners-are-three-of-a-kind/

Runners are three of a kind

by Kym Morgan
The Guardian Messenger
6 Dec 2011

IN STEP: Cocks' family members (from left) Riley, Michael and Jacob.
Picture: Stephen Laffer HF480852

ONE is winning senior state titles and eyeing under-20 World Championship selection at age 17, the other is attempting to break a two-decade old national record.

Meet Bellevue Heights teen distance running sensations, Jacob and Riley Cocks.

The Brighton Secondary School brothers found their way to Flinders Athletics Club by accident five years ago when their father Michael Cocks noticed athletes running around Flinders Uni and asked if his sons could join.

Jacob, 17, caused a boilover at last week’s open state 5000m championship when he upstaged the SA’s best men to win.

His nearest rival was not one of the seasoned seniors in the race but Riley, 15, who has now erased a staggering 30 seconds from the under-16 state 5000m record over the past year.

Jacob will this Saturday (December 10) attempt to run a World Junior Championship qualifier in the 3000m steeplechase.

At the same meeting, Melbourne’s prestigious Zatopek Classic, Riley will attempt to break Mike Power‘s 1992 Australian 3000m under-16 record of 8.29.26.

Despite their rapid rise, the brothers have their feet firmly planted on the ground.

“I just run because I love it and I love the rewards,” Riley says.

“You put a lot into and you go through a lot of nerves and pain but the feeling you get when you run well is so rewarding.”

As for sibling rivalry, Jacob says it is healthy but typically fierce. He is yet to lose to his younger brother.

“I’ve accepted that one day he will beat me at something but as long we both do well I’m happy.

“He’s running a lot faster than I was at the same age but a few years ago it was the other way around, so you don’t know what is going to happen.”

Running is a true family affair in the Cocks family.

After his sons took up the sport, Michael began jogging to stay fit.

He is now one of the fittest 47-year-olds in the state and clocked 16m 50s for 5km to win the over-35 state title.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum