PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Brendan Smart aiming for third gift win

Brendan Smart aiming for third gift win

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Brendan Smart aiming for third gift win on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:36 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/smart-aiming-for-third-gift-win/2368757.aspx

Smart aiming for third gift win

BY MATT JONES
The Advocate
24 Nov, 2011

STRONG early season form has given Brendan Smart plenty of confidence heading into this weekend's Tasmanian Athletic League carnival at West Park.

The Cooee speedster won the 100m men's final at the Launceston Pro-Am in a photo finish last weekend.

He also took out the 70m and 400m handicaps at the Central Coast Carnival earlier this month.

Having already won the West Park carnival's gift on two previous occasions, Smart said he would not have a better chance to claim a historic three-peat.

"It's probably the best form I've ever been in at this time of year," Smart said.

"It's always good to have a race at home and because I've won this race two times before, I really like this carnival."

Smart hopes his strong start to the season will translate into a good showing at the Basslink Christmas Carnivals and beyond.

"There's a lot of interstate runners coming over for the carnivals so to make a final or win one in front of the Tasmanian crowd would be good," he said.

"After that I'll head over to Melbourne for some races and maybe Stawell (Gift) if my form holds out."

Smart will face sturdy competition this weekend from the likes of Launceston's Andrew Robinson and fellow Coasters Gareth Jubb and Eddie Gates.

Like Smart, Acacia Hills runner Carmen Oakley has already posted a win this season, the Tongs Sheetmetal Gift at the Central Coast Carnival, and will be a favourite to take out the women's gift.

She will pushed all the way by Abby Chapman and Morgan Whiley.

In the men's 1600m race, young Northdown runner Alec Thomas has shown plenty of promise this season and should be in the mix along with Burnie's Sam Fergusson.

A women's 800m will also be run as part of the carnival for the first time.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum