PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Ipswich Lightning Gift - Sunday August 29th 2010

Ipswich Lightning Gift - Sunday August 29th 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Ipswich & District Athletic Club Inc.
PRESENT THE
IPSWICH LIGHTNING GIFT
Cnr Lion Street & Salisbury Road, Ipswich

Sunday 29th August 2010

ENTRIES CLOSE 18th August 2010 (No Late Entries)

EVENT Eligibility Total P/money QAL Members Fee Non Members Fee Start Time
100m Ladies Gift 15yrs and Older $2,000 $15 $20 11.30am
110m Open Gift 15yrs and Older $3,000 $20 $25 12.00pm
70m Ladies Masters 30yrs and older $300 $5 $10 12.30pm
70m U/18 Dash (Girls) 15yrs to 17yrs $500 $7 $12 1.00pm
70m U/18 Dash (Boys) 15yrs to 17yrs $500 $7 $12 1.30pm
110m Backmarkers Athletes missing Gift final $500 N/A N/A 3.40pm
300m Masters 30yrs and older $750 $10 $15 3.40pm

For more details: http://www.qal.org.au/

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

youngy

Admin
Admin
IPSWICH Lightning meet on 29th August - entries close 18th August.

See website for further info: http://www.ipswichathletics.org.au/Idachtml/wintercarnival.html

Open Carnival - Everyone welcome - No need to be registered with an Athletic Club.

Mayoress/Ipswich Hospital foundation 100 metre Ladies Gift of $2000
110 metre Lightning Gift of $3000
300 metre Masters Wallet 0f $750
Ladies Masters 70 metre Purse of $500

U/18 Boys 70m Dash of $500
U/18 Girls 70m Dash of $500

Sprints, Middle Distance, Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Shot Put, Discus and Javelin.

Events - 10 years to Masters athletes
A great day for all the family
Canteen at reasonable prices - burgers, pies, sausage rolls, hotdogs, ham and salad and salad only rolls, drinks (cans and sports), tea, coffee, etc

For entry details see link:
http://www.ipswichathletics.org.au/pdfs/Ipswich%20Lightning%20Entry%20Form%202010.pdf

youngy

Admin
Admin
Ipswich dash for star PNG sprinter
By David Lems
Queensland Times
17th August 2010

IN Papua New Guinea, sprinter Toea Wisil is a national idol. She’s on the front cover of a phonebook and admired widely by children.

While she’s shy and small in stature, she is fast. She even played rugby with the boys to improve her skills.

As Wisil prepares to represent PNG at her second Commonwealth Games in October, she is coming to Ipswich to race.

That will be at Limestone Park on August 29 when she competes in the 29th annual Ipswich Winter Carnival.

She will be the first international competitor to line up in the 100m Ladies Gift at Bill Paterson Oval.

While athletics fanatics like Ipswich club official Vic Pascoe are excited about her entry, the major benefit will be for regional competitors taking on Wisil and seeing her run.

“It’s huge for the event, to finally get an international here to run,” Pascoe said.

“Hopefully it’s the start of bigger things to come.”

Wisil, 22, is using the Ladies Gift as part of her preparations for the Games in India.

“I love my athletics. My favourite sport is athletics,” the quietly-spoken sprinter said.

“In PNG, everybody knows me. I like that.”

As she went through a few short sprints in chilly conditions at Limestone Park, her Beenleigh-based boyfriend Aaron Daley spoke proudly of her achievements.

“This year she’s been to California and went to the University Games over there and won a couple of races,” Daley said.

“She loves running. It wouldn’t matter if it was a race between two telegraph poles. If there’s people there, she’d run.

“She’s getting stronger and the way she looks after her body is unbelievable.”

As PNG champion, Wisil has qualified for the 100m, 200m and 400m at the fast-approaching Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

The Highlands-based athlete also represented PNG as an 18-year-old at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

Although her times weren’t good enough for her to make the final, she has continued to improve, covering the 200m in 23.7 seconds on her successful Californian trip.

“She is actually one of the most famous people in PNG,” Daley said.

“She’s on the cover of the phonebook. She’s well known.

“She used to play rugby with the boys a couple years older than her.”

Wisil’s visit to Bill Paterson Oval last Thursday quickly attracted attention from Ipswich club athletes training nearby.

The PNG visitor smiled and waved.

“When I finish running. I want to be a coach,” Wisil said. “I love to work with the kids and have fun.”

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/21/mr-athletics-back-on-home-track/

'Mr Athletics' back on home track
By David Lems
Queensland Times
21st August 2010

MARATHON CHAT: Ipswich athletics fanatics Vic Pascoe (left)
and Bill Paterson remember fine moments in the city's running past.

HIS memory is fading, his speech is slowing and he feels the cold more these days.

But 92-year-old Ipswich athletics pioneer Bill Paterson still looks fit enough to jog around the oval named after him. As he sits inside the athletics clubhouse to escape the chill, Bill is content. When the talk moves to athletics, he gestures excitedly with his hands and regularly chuckles. His brain is racing faster than when he used to set Queensland records over 440 and 880 yards. While his stories are fragmented, Bill grins at every question, nodding his approval at how many elite athletes Ipswich has produced.

It’s been years since he last coached. But his passion for athletics remains sharp.

The respected former coach – once dubbed “Mr Athletics" – grew up at Raceview in the days when homes had no power and ice was delivered.

Ipswich-born Bill has been at the Gold Coast for 28 years, after a 64 year stint in the city.

He recalls starting athletics aged 14.

“I got knocked about in soccer," the former Raceview Royals and Blackstone Rovers centre forward said. “I had to give it (soccer) away because of my running."

In 1937, Bill won the Australian quarter-mile title at Hobart. He represented Queensland again in 1938. But it was in coaching where he left his legacy. He mentored up to 30 people at a time, in Brisbane and later at Limestone Park.

Among those was long-serving Ipswich athletics official and coach Vic Pascoe. It was Pascoe – another athletics fanatic – who invited Bill home. In May, Pascoe had joined Bill for his 92nd birthday at the Gold Coast.

“For four hours there, we never talked about anything else but athletics," Pascoe said. “It was fantastic."
Back in Ipswich, the pair continue another marathon chat. Surrounded by athletics memorabilia, Pascoe waits on Bill’s every word, anxious to learn more. They communicate like long-lost friends.

Being a 400m Queensland and NSW champion in 1973, Pascoe relates well to the master coach. Reliving the past is fascinating, with clippings on the table joining missing links.

One old article – still in good nick like Bill – shows the day in 1979 that the oval at Limestone Park was named after him. At the time, Alderman Kev Dwyer and Ipswich City Council wanted to recognise Bill’s voluntary efforts. The former miner and Railways workshops employee struggles to recall that day. But he again nods his approval with the grin of a gold medallist.

He looks at his scrapbooks – kept in an old suitcase. They contain a treasure trove of fine Ipswich athletics history. Bill used to run for the now-defunct Ipswich Harriers before switching to the Christian Brothers Club in Brisbane. But he never strayed far from Ipswich. Seeing Bill brave the cold outside and stand next to the sign carrying his name was a memorable way to end the chat. He could probably still coach if he had to. But living legends like Bill Paterson deserve quieter days.

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/24/speedsters-hunt-cash-and-glory/

Speedsters hunt cash and glory
By David Lems
Queensland Times
24th August 2010

Ipswich athlete Saleena Roberts (left) holds on to win
last year’s exciting Ipswich Ladies Gift at Bill Paterson Oval.

IF the finishes in Sunday’s Winter Carnival feature finals are as thrilling as last year, Ipswich athletics official Vic Pascoe will be a happy man.

Electronic photo equipment was used for the first time to separate the winners in last year’s Ipswich Lightning Handicap and Ipswich Ladies Gift finals at Bill Paterson Oval.

In the men’s final over 110m, winner Jack Conway (11.14 seconds) just eclipsed second placegetter Gavin Manoharon by 0.01 second, with third placegetter Michael Gordon 0.12sec behind.

In an equally enthralling 100m Ladies Gift, Ipswich runner Saleena Roberts lunged on the line to win in 11.41 seconds. She was just 0.13 seconds ahead of second placegetter Emilie Welch.

With hot fields expected and rain freshening up the track surface, Pascoe is tipping wide open races for Sunday’s $3000 Lightning Handicap and $2000 Ladies Gift.

Pascoe yesterday confirmed at least 36 runners for the men’s handicap event and more than 18 competitors keen to contest the women’s series.

That includes Papua New Guinea’s leading sprinter Toea Wisil, who was planning to use Sunday’s race as part of her preparations for the Commonwealth Games in October.

Wisil is the first international runner in the Ladies Gift.

However, Ipswich’s premier handicap races have a fine tradition with two women previously winning the men’s Lightning Handicap. They were 1995 victor Laura Kennedy (in 11.1 seconds off 22m) and Penny McCoy (in 11.3 seconds off 21.5m) in 1998.

Other notable performers in the Lightning Handicap – run since 1990 – include 1992 champion Peter Burge, Boonah’s Kevin Grace (1996), Matt Davies (2007) and back-to-back winner Kieren Neilsen (2003 and 2004).

Anthony Scott and Stacey Taurima deadheated in 1993. Scott ran off 8m and Taurima started off 5.5m that day.

Previous Ipswich competitors to collect first prize in the Ladies Gift include inaugural winner Stephanie Hillier, who backed up to win again in 2005.

World junior representative Lauren O’Sullivan won in 2008.

“It’s excellent stuff,” Pascoe said of Ipswich’s growing reputation in handicap racing. “It will be wonderful to have more photo finishes.”

The Ladies Gift final is at 3.30pm with the Lightning Handicap final set down for 3.50pm. Heats start at 11.30am and noon respectively.

Fields will be released later this week.

The other major race on Sunday is the $750 Masters Wallet (300m). The final is at 4.45pm.

Previous winners have included 66-year-old Colin Buyers, who won off 70m in 32.1 seconds in 2008.

Nominations for track and fields events will be taken at 10am at Bill Paterson Oval on Sunday.

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/27/district-pair-primed-for-challenge/

Pair primed for challenge
By David Lems
Queensland Times
27th August 2010

FOCUSED STARTERS: Ipswich and District Athletic Club competitors
John Hardy and Melissa Hamer are keen to test their progress in
Sunday’s Ipswich Winter Carnival at Bill Paterson Oval.

TWO focused regional athletes will carry different hopes into Sunday’s 29th Winter Carnival at Bill Paterson Oval.

For Prenzlau-based thrower Melissa Hamer, the annual Ipswich meeting rekindles fine memories.

This time last year, she set a personal best in the discus, providing a launching pad for the season.

This year, the 15-year-old Ipswich and District Athletic Club regular is feeling even more relaxed.

She recently won the 16-17 years and 18-19 years discus finals at the Down Under meeting on the Gold Coast – after working hard on her strength and technique for four months in the off-season.

“I feel stronger now. I feel more power in my throws,” Hamer said, preparing to compete in the under-18 and open discus events on Sunday.

“It’s just getting the technique right and it will come together and be really good.”

At last year’s carnival, she threw 39m in the under-18 discus before also winning the open event. She went on to better that with a 40.13m throw at the state titles later in the season.

Having qualified for the under-18 national titles in March, the Lowood State High School student is excited about the months ahead.

She’s hoping her recent modified weight sessions, push-ups and squats with coach Mick Moore have her in even better shape.

“Next year (at nationals), I want to medal there and hopefully come first again,” she said.

Meanwhile, Ipswich and District Athletic Club newcomer John Hardy is keen to test his recent training in Sunday’s 110m Ipswich Lightning Gift series.

“I’m just going in the Gift. I’ll put all my focus on that,” he said, having trained two nights a week with coach Vic Pascoe.

“I was always a little bit quick playing touch football and stuff.

“Some people mentioned I should get into sprinting so I thought I’d take it up.”

The RAAF Amberley air traffic controller joined the club four months ago.

While new to handicap racing, he’s excited about Sunday’s event.

“I’m still fairly new to it. I’ve got some nerves around it,” he said.

However, the well-travelled 24-year-old welcomes the challenge having made state and national titles in long jump and relay during Year 12 in Newcastle.

“I thought, while I’m young, I might achieve something and it’s possibly a talent so I started working towards it,” he said.

“I will probably continue to do it for the next five or 10 years and try to get to a peak.”

TOP MEET

What: Ipswich Athletics 29th Winter Carnival

When: Sunday

Where: Bill Paterson Oval

Schedule: Track and field events from 11am.

Major events: Three 100m Ladies Gift heats start at
11.30am, final at 3.30pm. Six 110m Ipswich Lightning Gift heats start at noon, final at 3.50pm. 70m Masters Ladies Purse final at 12.30pm. 300m Masters Gift final at 4.45pm.

More info: www.ipswichathletics.org.au

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/08/31/teenage-speedster-fast-lane-to-glory/

Speedster keen to get noticed
By David Lems
Queensland Times
31st August 2010

How the electronic photo at Bill Paterson Oval separated
winner Toea Wisil (top of frame) and second placegetter
Stacey Hearne (middle). Both runners finished the race
in 11.65 seconds.

IPSWICH Lightning Gift winner Mitchell Delacy is keen to get noticed in his bid to secure an American scholarship.

He took a giant stride forward in his goal with a confident victory at Bill Paterson Oval on Sunday.

Delacy won the $3000 Ipswich Lightning Gift (110m) in 11.13 seconds, from Isaac Dunmall (11.22s) and Andrew Hodges (11.24s).

With a distinctive haircut and personality to match, the 16-year-old backed himself all the way through Sunday’s heats, semi-final and final.

“That was really good – my first time in a big race that I’ve won,” the Sunshine Coast athlete said.

With a handicap of 15m, the year 11 student thought he could win with about 10 metres to go.

His next mission is the Noosa Gift in October, another handicap race.

“I’m trying to get through to nationals and get a scholarship in America,” he said. “I just want to be picked up really.”

His “hair-raising” effort contributed to his longer-term plan. “I think people will notice . . . (they will say) he’s the only one with the mo-hawk,” the teenager said.

Meanwhile, Ipswich and District Athletics Club newcomer John Hardy was encouraged by his fourth placing in the final.

He reached the top eight out of 40 runners from six heats.

“There were a few boys in front of me. It’s a bit intimidating,” he said.

“I was a little bit nervous in my first race but I’m happy with four months of training to come fourth.”

The RAAF Amberley traffic controller wants to see how far he can progress in competitive sprinting.

“It gives me a bit of a heads-up what to expect from racing,” he said, “where I need to put more into as far as training goes.”

Last year’s Gift winner Jack Conway finished sixth.

The $2000 Ipswich Ladies Gift final was full of drama.

After a false start, the event’s first international entrant Toea Wisil dipped on the line to win. The Papua New Guinea Commonwealth Games representative just beat regular Gift runner Stacey Hearne.

“After thinking I’d won it, it’s a bit of a letdown,” Hearne said.

However, the University of Queensland club athlete was heartened by her best finish on her third attempt in the annual Ipswich race.

“I just enjoy the handicap racing. It’s good fun,” she said, having finished fourth in 2007 and 2009.

She is hoping to compete at national titles in sprinting and possibly hurdling.

“I’ve just come back from injury so I just want to get back to where I was,” she said. “I got better with every race.”

Wisil was thrilled to finish off a top day’s racing with a late surge.

“It was good. I expected to win,” she said, preparing to represent PNG at the Commonwealth Games in October.

Wisil planned to put her winnings towards training gear.

Charotte Van Vaneendaal created Ipswich Winter Carnival history by becoming the first female competitor to make the Ipswich Ladies Gift and Ipswich Lightning Gift finals.

She was fourth in the ladies final and seventh in the men’s final.

Nathan Carr won the 300m Masters Wallet and Julie Brims took out the 70m Master Ladies Purse.

Other highlights included Prenzlau-based thrower Melissa Hamer setting personal bests in the under-16 (40.80m) and open discus (41.42m).

Boosted by an excellent off-season, she produced three throws better than her old personal best of 40.13m.

Country and Western singer Matti Biskit played on the day.

Ipswich athletics pioneer, 92-year-old Bill Paterson, was also honoured after a special QT feature (August 21) on him.

Major races
Ipswich Lightning 110m Gift Final
1. Mitchell Delacy (15m) 11.13
2. Isaac Dunmall (15m) 11.22
3. Andrew Hodges (13m) 11.24
4. John Hardy (13.5m) 11.35
5. James Woodgate (9.5) 11.42
6. Jack Conway (5.75m) 11.49
7. Charotte Van Vaneendaal (13m) 11.69
8. Chauncey Andolfatto (6.5m) 11.69

Ipswich Ladies 100m Gift Final
1. Toea Wisil (2.5m) 11.65
2. Stacey Hearne (9.75m) 11.65
3. Kristy Know (11m) 11.70
4. Charotte Van Vaneendaal (2m) 11.74
5. Julie Brims (9.5m) 11.75
6. Emily First (7.25m) 11.98
7. Tarryn Kelly (10.5m) 11.99
8. Tatum Shaw (7m) 12.12

Kid2Much

Major races
Ipswich Lightning 110m Gift Final
1. Mitchell Delacy (15m) 11.13
2. Isaac Dunmall (15m) 11.22
3. Andrew Hodges (13m) 11.24
4. John Hardy (13.5m) 11.35
5. James Woodgate (9.5) 11.42
6. Jack Conway (5.75m) 11.49
7. Charotte Van Vaneendaal (13m) 11.69
8. Chauncey Andolfatto (6.5m) 11.69

16 year old who can cbviously run, off 15m???? and run 7 flat for 70m, thats too fast.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum