PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » New Bay Sheff race for Under 18's

New Bay Sheff race for Under 18's

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New Bay Sheff race for Under 18's on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:22 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/new-bay-sheff-race-for-juniors/

DASHING PAIR: Taylah Scapens and Liam Wright are keen
to compete in the new junior event.
Picture: Nicholas Wrankmore HF478972

New Bay Sheff race for juniors

by Jane Whitford
Guardian Messenger
2 Nov 11

BAY Sheffield organisers hope that a new junior race will become “the pinnacle” of the SA athletics calender.

SA Athletics League president Brendan Golden last week announced the new under-18 event - named the “Messenger Junior Bay Sheffield” - would be held for the first time this year to coincide with the event’s 125th anniversary milestone.

Mr Golden hoped about 60 of the state’s brightest young athletes would sign up to compete in the 120m sprint event.

“We already have under-14 and under-17 races, but we hope this will become the pinnacle junior race for the SA Athletics League and that young runners from all over will aspire to one day win the Junior Bay Sheff,” Mr Golden said.

“We are also looking to put it immediately before the major race to give the finalists in the Messenger Junior Bay Sheffield the experience of running in front of a major crowd and a chance to feel that adrenalin.”

The two-day Bay Sheffield Carnival will be held at Colley Reserve, Glenelg, on December 27 and 28.

Among those expected to nominate in the new race are Coastal Districts Athletics Club members Taylah Scapens and Liam Wright. Scapens, 14, of Glenelg North and Wright, 17, of Somerton Park both made their Bay Sheffield debuts last year.

Wright said he could not wait to race again.

“It’s that sort of race where there is lots of pressure around you, with so many people watching and all your friends there yelling out your name,” Wright said.

“It’s a really weird moment but also quite special and humbling.

“It would just be the ultimate goal to win a Bay Sheff one day.”

Nominations for the Messenger Junior Bay Sheffield close on November 21. To nominate visit saal.org.au or call 84436177.

2 Re: New Bay Sheff race for Under 18's on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://southern-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/under-18s-race-at-bay/

SET TO GO: Gemma Plummer, 13, is aiming for the
Messenger Junior Bay Sheffield. Pic: Roger Wyman.

UNDER 18s race at Bay

by Jane Whitford
Southern Times Messenger
8 Nov 2011

SEAFORD runner Gemma Plummer hopes to be among those vying for the state’s newest athletics crown - the Messenger Junior Bay Sheffield.

SA Athletics League president Brendan Golden has announced the new under-18 race to coincide with the event’s 125th anniversary.

Plummer, 13, of Flinders Athletics Club, plans to nominate in the new 120m sprint. It will be her first Bay Sheffield after she started training as a short and middle distance runner in January.

“I like the sprints and I’m excited to take part,” she says. “I don’t mind competing against people older than me.

“It’s all good experience.”

Mr Golden hopes about 60 of the state’s best young athletes will sign up for the new race.

“We already have under-14 and under-17 races, but we hope this will become the pinnacle junior race for the SA Athletics League - and that young runners from all over will aspire to one day win the Junior Bay Sheff,” Mr Golden says.

The two-day Bay Sheffield Carnival will be held at Colley Reserve, Glenelg, on December 27 and 28.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum