PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Results
Today at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Women's Numbers in the VAL

Women's Numbers in the VAL

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Women's Numbers in the VAL on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Following on from the VRTA RESULTS thread - The women's 200m at the VRTA meet carried total prizemoney of $400. Only 17 entries of which 9 scratched making it a straight final of 8.

Not sure what it is, but that seems a small number of women competitors for the VAL.

The SAAL will conduct a women's 200m race at Flinders this weekend where the entries are almost double (33) that of the VRTA meet.

VAL seems to struggle to get significant womens' entries in VAL meets other than the major meets that attract interstate athletes.

Given the number of women running around in AV interclub meets each weekend it is a mystery why more women are not competiing in the VAL.

2 Re: Women's Numbers in the VAL on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes

The VAL does have a low number of female sprint competitors, it's true, but VRTA entries across the board were low due to the post-AGM shenanigans and many people waiting for the outcome of the SGM to register. The SGM date was scheduled as late as allowed after receipt of signatures, according to the VAL by-rules, and this forced it only a week from VRTA. Emma P mentioned that she doesn't think she'll have the sponsors to run the event next year due to this year's low turn out.

3 Re: Women's Numbers in the VAL on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:46 pm

ShaneMcK

Aside from the SGM being an interference to the meeting's potential numbers, what other things can the VRTA do to entice more athletes to not only turn up to the carnival, but to not scratch from events and fill as many heats as we can?

I had some ideas to have a 70m Novice/Women's combined or a 200m Novice/Women's as the first up event of the season. Likely to field more numbers. Offer a prize each for the first Novice & first Women's competitor over the line as well as a standard 1st prize and sash??? Please let your VRTA committee know what you want, after all this is the race for the athletes put on by your VRTA.

Further more, as it is a suburban meet (and close to the airport) what can be done to attract interstate athletes? Do you want to travel this time of year? Do we have the right events on the card for you?

Just personally (not the consensus of the VRTA) I feel the Sportsbiz 400m should be supplemented with another novice event, namely the 70m to try to get more 1st timers out to the event and give them more opportunities to race, rather than turn up for a 70m heat and being run out, then being run out of the 200m heat and day over. I love the 200m, 550m and the 3200m, works well and was pretty well supported. Then combining the women's and novice, provides more opportunities for athletes to have a run We want the athletes to get best value for money and support for your race.

So unless we receive feedback from the members and greater running community, we can only guess what you want, so help us out and give us some feedback please.

Once we have some ideas, we can look at implementing them next year.

Cheers all and looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

http://www.shanemckenzie.com

4 Re: Women's Numbers in the VAL on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Suggest

Always like to see a nice selection of novice events on the program, Shane, but I think VRTA suffers a little from it's calendar location. It's the day after the APS Boys & Girls finals, and a day before the SSV T&F State Championships, so there's a number of junior athletes who just can't do VRTA until they've finished school. I know that my athletes are quite keen to support the VRTA and participate in their event, particularly given it has a 200 available and there's only a handful going around, but the timing in late October is the overwhelming factor.

5 Re: Women's Numbers in the VAL on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

GG

No doubt the timing is the major factor. Victorians (as opposed to SA) aren't geared up to run in mid Oct. Now that there is no fun run there is no reason it can't go back 2-3 weeks. I thought the entries weren't that bad, only a couple of heats less in the 200m from last year considering we didn't have an entry book this year and the fact that the next substantial meeting (Terang) is 3 weeks later.

6 Re: Women's Numbers in the VAL on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Club

The problem is very simple

There are too many meetings and the runners want quality not heaps of small meetings. With interclub on at this time of the year runners are better of running there then at small pro meetings. And I also think runners are over the handicap system. They are forced to run far too many to for stuff all reward.
I belief all the small meetings are going to suffer this year and most are only there to control the VAL.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum