PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » AFL Grand Final Sprint

AFL Grand Final Sprint

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:49 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/124429/default.aspx

Danger set for Grand Final sprint

Adelaide Crows Website
- afc.com.au
Fri 30 Sep, 2011

After missing out on goal of the year, Crows speedster Patrick Dangerfield has his sights set on another award.

Dangerfield will be Adelaide’s representative in the 2011 AFL Grand Final sprint at the MCG on Saturday afternoon.

With two heats prior to the game, the top four sprinters from each heat will go into the final sprint which is held at half time of the Grand Final.

Adelaide’s record in the sprint is poor, with Bernie Vince falling over barefoot in 2009, while Richard Douglas missed out on making the final last year.

Dangerfield, who holds the 20m sprint record at the club, was confident of giving the race a go after finding out about the opportunity.

“My manager rang me and asked what I was doing on Grand Final Day,” said Dangerfield. “I’m still around anyway because I’m heading up to Darwin the next day with my Dad for some fishing so I thought I might be a chance!”

“I ran the 100m, 200m and 400m during school so that was my strength.”

Dangerfield has demonstrated his running ability throughout his short career and kicked one of the goals of the year in round three against Fremantle, taking four running bounces while burning a number of opponents.

The Gillette AFL Grand Final Sprint Heats start at 12.00pm (EST) and will be shown on Channel 10, with the final at half time of the game.

2 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:52 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/luke-rounds-backs-his-collingwood-teammates-to-win-grand-final/2307423.aspx

Luke Rounds backs his Collingwood teammates to win grand final

By MEAGAN ROOTH
The Warrnambool Standard
29 Sep, 2011

MORTLAKE export Luke Rounds will showcase his speed at the AFL grand final on Saturday.

The Collingwood defender rates himself a “pretty slim chance” of being named an emergency this weekend, so instead he has found a sneaky way to run onto the MCG and be part of the action — or at least the entertainment.

Rounds will compete in the traditional 100-metre sprint at half-time of the blockbuster decider between the Magpies and Geelong.

While the 20-year-old backs his Collingwood teammates 100 per cent, he is not as confident about his own credentials down the straight.

He’s hoping he can relive the days when he represented Mortlake College at athletics carnivals over the short distance.

“It should be pretty interesting,” he laughed.

“If I was a betting man I wouldn’t be backing me. But we’ll just have to wait and see.”

Rounds, who made his debut in round 15 this year and played five games, has trained with the main group of 31 throughout finals.

The Terang Mortlake export has been responsible for providing a defensive presence against Magpies crumbing forwards Jarryd Blair and Alan Didak during drills.

“It’s a good feeling to be a part of it all,” Rounds said.

“Obviously I’d like to be playing but I tried to contribute as much as I could this year.

“I’m looking forward to pre-season and a big year next year (when) hopefully the boys can do it again.”

But in the meantime, all of Rounds’ attention is on this weekend.

Collingwood escaped Hawthorn by three points on Friday to book a spot in the grand final, while opponent

Geelong did it a bit easier, beating West Coast by 48 points on Saturday.

Rounds said the Magpies had learnt a lot from the Hawks and would be trying to mimic their brand of football in the big game.

“There are a few nerves after we just scraped past Hawthorn in the preliminary,” he said.

“Taking risks is the big thing. Hawthorn was taking all the risks but once we did, we started to get on top.

“It’s going to be pretty tough. We just have to play one-on-one.”

3 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:01 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Hopefully the Cats win the GF - tipping them by 10 points. Laughing

4 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:15 pm

bomma

Is there a sprint field anywhere youngy? Who's running for the Bombers?

C'mon Cats - anyone but the other mob!!!!!!

5 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
From bigfooty regarding Brisbane player Daniel Rich:

"Well he finished a long way back fifth. GWS youngster win that heat, Patty Dangerfield smashed them in the first heat."

So based on that little info - a GWS player and Pat Dangerfield won the two heats.

There was a list on a footy related website but it appears to be the 2010 field.

Heats were run at 12.00pm Melbourne time.

6 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Patrick Dangerfield smashes them and easily takes out the Grand Final sprint ahead of GWS’s Tim Golds.

And well done Cats, outstanding effort to win the 2011 premiership. 38 point win after huge last qtr. Great contest for 3 quarters.

7 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

2011 Grand Final Sprint

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

8 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:46 pm

JA

Was that 100m? If so, was there any official time released?

Thanks Youngy.

9 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am

MOB

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
It's prettty rough, but I got a hand timed 11.3, so I presume it was 100m.

10 Re: AFL Grand Final Sprint on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Thanks MOB, I assume it was 100m because that has been the traditional distance for the GF sprint. MOB's time confirms it. About time Danger had a crack at it. He was the fastest player at the Crows (of the current players )from my time there.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum