PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011

Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
The 2011 Whyalla Gift will be on Saturday 19th November.

Entries will close on 24th October 2011.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
Whyalla entries Close today Monday 24th October 2011.

• 70m Novice - $500

• 120m Gift - $5,750

• 120m Women- $2,250

• 120m U/20's - $200

• 300m O/35's - $500

• 300m Open - $1,200

• 300m Women - $1,200

• 800m Open - $1,200

• 1600m Open - $1,600

• 50m Skins - $500 (Invitation)

youngy

Admin
Admin
There is a serious shortage of entries for the Whyalla meeting on November 19th 2011.

The SAAL will be sending out an email tomorrow (Thursday) regarding some initiatives to encourage more entries for Whyalla.

Entries have been left open and I believe will remain open until at least midweek next week (by Thursday 10th November).

If you can get to Whyalla plese make the effort. This meeting will be in jeopardy if it is not supported by athletes.

And if Whyalla was to be lost to the SAAL, don't think there is another $16,000 plus meeting waiting in the wings to replace it, because there isn't.

Leon Burckhardt showed last year that Whyalla winners are not disadvantaged for later meets and get to win significant prizemoney for very little penalty.

We need Whyalla on the circuit, so please support the meet.

Horse

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Sup Youngy,
Would you happen to know the meets starting time? and perhaps what the schedule of events will look like? I have a uni exam on the same day 9-12pm, which is my reason for not entering as obviously I would struggle to get there on time.

youngy

Admin
Admin
According to the SAAL entry booklet, the Whyalla meet starts at 4.30pm.

No schedule will be published until the SAAL has finalised entries. Unless there were issues with the previous years schedule the SAAL usually uses that as a starting point for the current year, but until they see what events athletes have entered, it cannot be confirmed.

Once the entry lists are known, an attempt will be made to give athletes the maximum amount of recovery time between events to minimise any 'shuffling'. There is also some changes to this years' program with the introduction of the 120m Under 20's and the 50m skins events which need to be factored into the program while the 1600m O35 event has been removed from the program.

Mr T

People need to get behind whyalla. In the last couple of years the locals have got behind it having the food and wine festival at the meeting. Whyalla is no further than the mount and accommodation is normally cheaper.

The only reason people may have is due to uni exams

Definitely go if the 120m open had no limit, along way to go for a 300m thats not really my thing atm. Hmm no limit or no event? And yes we have all heard the debate for having a limit. A big thanks to those putting up the results and video, doing a great job. Very Happy

Whispers

Actually I thought your form was pretty good Over35er for the first two meets of the season.Two meets ,Two finals ,not bad.Given that the Whyalla meet is down on numbers even off the limit you would have had a good chance to make the semis or even the final.
Sometimes athletes dont have enough faith in themselves and until you set the bar a little bit higher who knows what you may be capable of.

Thanks whispers, I have to correct you tho its 3 finals so far lol. Not sure going from 16ish to 12m would get me there in a 120, maybe all going well Loxton might be ok but still a bit to make up.

Trumpet

Got to be in it to win it as the saying goes.

Admin

Admin
Admin
A GROUP EMAIL was sent out to all SAAL Members - just in case you did not get the message:

Please note nominations for Whyalla have been extended until Monday 7/11/11.

We really want to encourage all athletes to attend the event. The organisers of the event work very hard to attract sponsors and put together a good event, and we would hate to see it not on the calendar in years to come due to lack of numbers.

In light of this – if you have registered as a female or over 35 athlete and would like to run in the Novice or an open event please let us know and we will organise your entry (without having to upgrade your registration.)

Regards,

Michelle

Michelle Burckhardt / Deb Osmond
Executive Officers
SA Athletic League

12 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Mr T

Does this mean the limit will change in the gift? I'd assume the girls would have a larger limit than 12m

whispers

Very good point Mr T.
Why would the girls nominate for the open if the limit remains at 12m.
Perhaps a larger limit and we might even persuade O35ers to go.

Spot on again whispers Very Happy

15 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 am

;)

We do not have to increase the limit for over 35s in order for them to run in the gift. If they can't win it off less than 12, I dont think it would be a good specticle for the crowd to watch a codger off 15m win the gift.

Girls on the other hand i think it works ok. People always like backmarkers chasing front markers and I feel if a girl won it and held off the guys, the crowd would see that as an achievement.

; ) not sure how its less of a spectacle for a runner to win of 15m than of 12m, why then not apply it to all open events and better to have an event with enough competitors (still a spectacle) than not have have an event at all (no spectacle). Dont know why a limit needs to apply to some of these 120m open events just because the prize money is higher. Fair enough the Bay deserves a limit in recognition for its prestige, not sure it should apply to Whyalla, Loxton and Mount Gambier.
Interesting the term "codger" being used for a similar forum as last year ; ) you're not youngy in disguise?

Royce

12m limits for $5000 races is not enough. Apart from 4-5 runners the majority of the field are on 7m and above. That means you only have a 5m spread. This is not enough to give runners a fair chance of being competitive. If they are not competitve they are not going to travel to places like Whyalla.

Bumble Bee Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
It doesn't matter if you are not competitive, in this sport you need to run as often as you can and if you go to enough meets, your time will come. I agree with your spread of the field comment, however this can be resolved by pulling the field back 2m. Then those guys between 12-14m will then be under the limit. Lifting the limit will only damage the prestige of meets like Whyalla and Mt Gambier. I can let you know for a fact that if the organizer of Whyalla believed most athletes didn't consider Whyalla as a prestige event, he would stop running the meet straight away.

Royce

We in Victoria are going the other way this year which will make the spread problem even worse. By changing the start time to 12.40 most people will be starting close to their last year finish mark. We only had a couple behind 6m last year who ran regularly so the rest are all going to be squashed up together at the top end this year. Races like Burramine and Bendigo at the end of the year will have more and more runners between 10and 12m considering no-one hardly ever runs below 12.40 these days. I'd have been more inclined changing the start time to 12.50 and pulling the runners back. 

youngy

Admin
Admin
I can assure you, Over 35er, the person using '; )' for a pseudonym is definitely not me. I have no need nor desire to hide behind an alias on this topic. Of course, I do concur with '; )' regarding a limit of no more than 12m for the four biggest Gifts on the SAAL circuit.

There are over 160 races on the circuit this season - dozens available for Over 35 year old athletes to be competitive in. In fact the average Over 35 year old athlete would have far more races at his/her disposal than the average 20 something Gift runner.

I don't think it's too much of an inconvenience if we can isolate our four most prestigious & richest Gifts and restrict them to a 12m limit thereby ensuring the quality of the event is not compromised.

The quickest way to strip your race of credibility and respectability is to remove the limit.

I look at a once great race like the Wangaratta Gift, which in it's halcyon days attracted 25 heats with over 160 athletes AND the limit was 11.0m. It was a race many athletes each year strived to win, due its heritage, prestige, degree of difficulty and the winner was highly respected. In the last 15 or so years it has been stripped of its prestige and carries about as much 'weight' as the Dandenong 300m - all due to the lifting of the limit to accommodate anybody, regardless of ability, who turns up with a pair of spiked shoes.

In terms of limits, I don't care if the Whyalla Gift has only 15 entries - as long as they are only running off 12m or less it will still keep some respectability. The fact only 15 athletes would have fronted up is a much bigger issue that has nothing to do with limits.

On Royce's comment - which is true but very sad in that many in the sport are becoming so accepting of a diminishing standard.

My view is by lifting and removing limits you are merely wallpapering over the cracks, artificially inflating fields to accommodate the lowering of standards.

It's up to coaches & athletes to get better, to keep the standard at a level where spectators and sponsors will be keen to be involved.

NB: YGTS has seven athletes entered for the Henley Gift on marks between 4.0m and 9.25m. That represents 22% of the athletes in that range of marks. BUT there are only 4 (9%) of the 44 athletes handicapped on marks in excess of 12.0m. So it makes negligible difference to the big four - Bay, MtG, Whyalla & Loxton if the limit was 12.0m and it is far better for the sport's long term prosperity to accommodate reasonable quality squads like YGTS (and others of similar ilk) than it is to accommodate runners on marks beyond 12m.

Royce

I'm okay with 12m limits, as long as we pull the marks back. The first 4-5m on a gift track may as well not be marked, so in effect we only have 7-8m limits.

22 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 am

whispers

Why not make Whyalla, Loxton and The Mount special exceptions and start the backmarker of scratch, therefore saving the prestige of the race.
Whatever you have to drag the backmarker back you drag back everyone else.
No one would be disadvantaged , except it would give the backmarkers a little bit more ground to run down the frontmarkers and make for a much more exciting race.
May even entice O35er to make the trip although I would favour the runners coming from behind
Marks would revert back to normal for the next meet except for the winner

23 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Capital idea 'whispers'.

Certainly worth doing at Whyalla.

Whoever is the backmarker goes back to scratch and every athlete goes back the same distance. Eg: say Caldow entered (current mark: 3.75); every runner in the field goes back 3.75m from their existing mark, keeping the limit at 12.0m

24 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 am

whispers

Just adding to my above opinion.
By dragging the backmarker back to scratch you are still keeping the races respectable and the prestigious would still be there in much the same way as having a limit.
Where else are runners made to run the whole 120m or as near to it as possible
It would set the races at these meeting up as STAND ALONE.
everyone would be happy

25 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:29 pm

no probs Youngy I figured it wasnt you but someone old(er) that uses the term codger. Very Happy
At least we are giving opinions and throwing around ideas.
Having limits of 11m back in the old days in an age where people had weekends and played more sport the number would be there, these days number of competitors (and I could be wrong) are probably going down, if changes arent made then we could well lose Whyalla and Loxton.
I think the idea of moving the marks back so the backmarker runs of 1m is a great idea, eg if Caldow runs of 3.75m he'd go back to 1m so each runner goes back 2.75m for the meet, Id then run or 13m and would accept the 12m limit.
The only down side to this is then does the 12m limit become the new non "spectacle" mark? Will the organisers want the limit changed to 9m or 10m to make it "more exciting" Would the though process become not wanting a codger running of 12m winning?

26 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 pm

oh and there are more open events under the 300m than the over 35's under 300m

27 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:35 pm

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
No-one minds a codger winning a major gift as long as they win off a respectable mark. 12m limit is the most it should be won from. An over 35 athlete capable of winning off 12m is welcome to it. No different to veteran runner Palmer winning the Camden Classic. He didn't need more than 40.

Mr T

The real issue is why aren't people turning up. Whyalla seems to have had this problem before and loxton had it a couple of years ago had to reopen entries to get enough runners. I don't think the limit is the issue. As youngy said the majority of runners this Friday night are already under 12. Or is it people really can't be bothered? The bringing runners back may get a few people there but will it make a huge difference?

Wadooosh

Part of it would be people can't be bothered going to whyalla and mt gambier because of the travel. So they pick one.

30 Re: Whyalla (SAAL) - Saturday 19th November 2011 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 am

Guess

Is what your saying really that people are not fully committed to the sport.Easy options?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum