PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Pearson & Stosur given keys to the Gold Coast

Pearson & Stosur given keys to the Gold Coast

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pearson & Stosur given keys to the Gold Coast on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/golden-girls-sam-stosur-and-sally-pearson-given-keys-to-gold-coast/story-e6frep5o-1226141136532

Golden girls Sam Stosur and Sally Pearson given keys to Gold Coast

By Greg Stoz and Chris Garry
The Courier-Mail
September 20, 2011

THEY are both Gold Coast golden girls who went to the same high school, attended the Queensland Academy of Sport and went on to become world-beaters.

But it was a tale of two different sporting personalities when Sam Stosur and Sally Pearson were feted at a civic reception in their hometown yesterday.

Tennis star Stosur and track queen Pearson, the newly-crowned champions of the US Open tennis and world 100m hurdles respectively, were presented with the keys to the city in a ceremony at the Southport Parklands.

While a modest Stosur refused to outline any world No.1 or Grand Slam title ambitions after her historic US Open victory, the more flamboyant Pearson boldly declared she would not be satisfied as an athlete until she brought home an Olympic gold medal - and maybe even a world record for good measure.

"I will be living the athlete's dream next year when I win the (London Olympics) gold medal," she said to cheers from the crowd.

"Right now I've ticked one of two boxes and that's winning the world championship, so hopefully I can mimic this season and come home next year as an Olympic champion."

Stosur, who became the first Australian woman since 1980 to win a Grand Slam in her US Open defeat of Serena Williams, was more reserved when quizzed on her next goal.

"There's no doubt that once you achieve this (a Grand Slam win) you want to do it repeatedly," she said.

Pearson won the 100m hurdles race with a personal best and championship record time of 12.28sec.

But she has given her competitors a warning ten months ahead of the London Olympics - the world record of 12.21 is in danger.

"I think I can run faster," she said. "I'm only 25. I hope I haven't peaked at this age. It would be nice to get that world record.

"Even when I ran that race in Daegu I felt I could go faster. That 12.28 was quite easy for me.

"You hate it (training) because it hurts. But you don't ever stop doing it."

Pearson, who turned 25 yesterday, said she was taken back by the reception.

"You couldn't ask for a better birthday," she said. "I'm tired and jet legged. I can't wait to get home and eat some chocolate and cake."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum