PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

Log in

I forgot my password



Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Calendar Calendar


You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Message to VAL members about the SGM

Message to VAL members about the SGM

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 pm

youngy

avatar
Admin
Admin
A notice has been sent to all VAL athletes & trainers by VAL Board member & VRTA rep, Emma Poynton regarding the Special General Meeting.

As it is a message specific to all members, the message won't be published on the forum (not until the VAL gives us permission).

Emma wants ALL athletes & trainers to respond to a series of questions proposed in the email.



Last edited by youngy on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total


_________________
"Let's Go While We're Young"

2 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm

youngy

avatar
Admin
Admin
Protrack has been granted permission to post the email.


Dear Athlete or Trainer,

At the most recent Victorian Athletic League AGM the then President Andrew McManus was not re-elected by the clubs. A new VAL board was formed consisting of Sue Dunbar, Wally Meehan, Emma Poynton, Brian Marantelli, Paul Connolly, Matthew Boyes, Steven Cato, Cameron Yorke, Rick Trusler, and Terry O’Donnell. The president position was vacated and filled by the incoming board member Mathew Boyes.

It was later established that a group of individuals (some of whom are attached to certain clubs, some VRTA committee members and some of who have previously acted as officials. Additionally some of this same group were also persons whom were subsequently elected at the AGM) had lobbied other clubs and advised them how to vote to ensure that the vote outcome formed a certain result which resulted in the ousting of Andrew McManus from the board and also blocking Craig Foley from being elected. This arrangement was formed by this group of individuals prior to the AGM where they had a meeting which was intended to be a secret meeting to discuss the detail of how to approach the AGM and manufacture a result that was to their liking.

At no stage did those that were at this meeting whom were up for election detail there reasons for deliberately ousting the sitting President in their platform for election; or detail any problems associated with him in their board nomination statement on the VAL website. Furthermore a perception of fear of the VAL being taken over by Athletics Australia was spread by this group to aid them in convincing many clubs to vote on their intended path. This position was a false proposition, but one that was effective in ensuring votes being allocated as requested by all clubs that were approached by this group. They also blatantly attempted to coerce votes from some clubs on the day of the AGM.

There is nothing wrong with lobbying or meetings between clubs to decide candidates but if the purpose was to spread false information this is unethical and not the type of people we want on the board. It is also unclear whether the club delegates informed their own committees of this secret meeting or in fact whether they voted in line with what their club committee asked.

At the following board meeting some of the persons elected through this process were questioned about the secret meeting, their involvement in that meeting, and why any of the issues for this action were never raised during the prior season or in the election campaign. Some of the answers were evasive and they were not consistent with each other. On this same night last seasons Chief Handicapper met with the board and advised them that he was only prepared to undertake the same role with aid of the handicapping panel again this season if he had the full support of the board and had no interference from them. The board advised him that he would have their full support but after he left the meeting one of the board members (who also happened to be one of the persons elected via the benefit of the agreed group action) retracting that position of full support.

This created much heated debate amongst the board members and the following day long term serving board member Brian Marantelli resigned on the basis that he couldn’t continue to work with board members that he couldn’t trust. This action was further followed by Cameron Yorke and Paul Connolly for the same reasons. Mark O’Brien then detailed that he couldn’t work with a board or persons that he couldn’t trust and that didn’t offer him their full support and he advised the board that he would not be applying for the Chief Handicapper role in the upcoming season.

The remaining VAL board has been working tirelessly to try and remedy the loss of some very effective board members and a handicapper that had captured the trust and respect of the running community. The board has not been able to find a viable handicapping alternative but have found two persons now prepared to be part of the board being Todd Ireland and Matthew Webster.

The sport however remains in crisis with no viable handicapper available whilst the current board has the current composition. Furthermore many of the clubs were aggrieved of the AGM outcome, and the subsequent board fall out, and are now asking questions about some of the details that led to this situation.

As a result the Ballarat and Stawell Athletic Clubs led a request for a Special General Meeting to be heard to explore the circumstances of this crisis and lodged a number of motions to attempt to rectify this situation. At least ten clubs needed to agree to this request for a Special General Meeting. At least ten have now agreed for that Special General Meeting and the VAL Board now must set a date and venue to conduct this meeting. An announcement of these details is not yet forthcoming from the VAL board at this time.

As part of Ballarat’s request for the Special General Meeting they lodged the following motions -

The motions are as follows:

1. ‘That all athletes, trainers and officials be allowed to attend the Special General Meeting as observers’

2. ‘That the CEO and current and past Board members fully disclose all the discussions that took place at and leading up to the AGM, August Board Meeting and the Emergency Board Meeting regarding the AGM voting process’

And depending on the evidence and discussion provided under motion 2:

3. ‘That an immediate dissolution of the Board and a fresh election of all positions be held today, with 4 directors to be elected on 1 year terms, 5 directors to be elected on 2 year terms, and a further director to be nominated by the Victorian Runners and Trainers Association.’


Despite the imminent calling of the Special General Meeting there have been extensive negotiations conducted by the current President Matthew Boyes to attempt to provide an environment that is attractive to both athletes and officials, and should see the reappointment of an appropriate panel of handicappers and stewards. This would mean that at least three of the sitting Board members would have to resign and refrain from involvement in other roles in the VAL. Suggested new additions that could work with the remainder of the Board could include Matthew Webster and Todd Ireland. Brian Marantelli and Cameron Yorke have also stated they are prepared to return to the board in the absence of certain board members. During these discussions there has been a verbal commitment from two of three board members that they are prepared to resign to allow the VAL a working environment that will aid in continuing to drive the sport forward. Despite this verbal commitment no such action has been taken to follow this up and until they do resign no solution seems viable at this stage.


As a result of these circumstances we would like you to answer the following questions – (Please select/circle your answer) –

1. Do you believe you should be allowed to go to the Special General Meeting if you wanted to? YES / NO

2. Do you believe the clubs should have an opportunity to hear from the body of runners and trainers and not just the VRTA committee? YES / NO

3. Do you want the VAL to resolve this situation urgently? YES / NO

4. Do you want the VAL to provide an environment including the composition of the board that would allow the appointment of an appropriate panel of handicappers and stewards? YES/ NO.

5. Do you believe the constitution should be changed so that you could vote at the AGM in the future? YES / NO.

6. Do you believe the previous VAL president Andrew McManus was leading the VAL to successful outcomes? YES / NO.

7. Do you support the motions of Ballarat if this situation is not remedied urgently? YES / NO.


For your opinions to have credibility please include your name and contact details to this document upon it’s return to me ASAP.

……………….
NAME –
CONTACT DETAILS -

...............
If you would like to discuss these issues further, please email me at ep500@bigpond.net.au or call me on 0402 460 500.

Thankyou.......
Emma Poynton
(Victorian Runners and Trainers Association President and representative on the VAL Board).






_________________
"Let's Go While We're Young"

3 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

lets run

avatar
Guest
The constituion manipulates athletes to get involved with clubs to have a say in how the sport is run. If clubs had more people helping them to create a better event the sport would be in it's best hands. Take Ballarat for example.

The simple solution is o get invloved with a club. If not then have your say with and through the VRTA.

In basic terms this caters very well to the sport. It seems though too many athletes don't want to help in the hard yards that the clubs do for them to run in races but want to have more say for the only role they play as the participants.

You must remember that the real clients are the sponsors and general viewing public, not the athletes or clubs.

4 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 am

Ta Emma

avatar
Guest
Thanks Emma, finally some communication from at least one responsible VAL Board member. Very good action to have a voice and be updated. B good to hear from other VAL directors.

5 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Who???

avatar
Guest
During these discussions there has been a verbal commitment from two of three board members that they are prepared to resign to allow the VAL a working environment that will aid in continuing to drive the sport forward

Who are the 2 board members who are prepared to resign and who is the one that won't? TOD, RT & WM???

6 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Phantom

avatar
ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Trusler and Meechan are prepared to resign, but O'Donnell won't from what I have been told.

7 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Admin

avatar
Admin
Admin
http://www.val.org.au/8th%20September%202011%20update.pdf

8th September 2011
VAL BOARD UPDATE


The board wishes to announce that Todd Ireland and Matthew Webster have joined the board as casual vacancies for the coming season, along with this the board has voted Sue Dunbar into position as Vice President.

The board also wishes to advise that Rick Trussler and Terry O’Donnell have resigned from the board.
The board recognises that the clubs have called for a SGM, date, time and venue will be released shortly, as Olympic Park is no longer a viable option.
The board is continuing to address issues relating to appointments for the coming season. It should be noted communication is continuing with both past officials and new prospects who have expressed interest in positions.

An update will be posted to the VAL website once these matters are finalised.

Mathew Boyes
President
Victorian Athletic League Inc.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

8 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

guessed

avatar
Guest
Trusler and Meechan are prepared to resign, but O'Donnell won't from what I have been told.

Half right Phantom. Trusler and O'Donnell leave the board but Munchkin won't go. I hope this does not mean Rick and Terry want the handicapping jobs? Munchkin has to go if the VAL is to return to stability.

9 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 pm

aligned

avatar
Guest
Todd Ireland,Matt Webster??? Don't they have alignments to other moths? Dunbar, Sutton????

10 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:15 am

TOD

avatar
Guest
Val Clubs-



The situation at the VAL board is now untenable as far as I am concerned and therefore last night I tendered my resignation to the board.If I may summarise-

1. After 27 years as an official either as handicapper or chief steward I decided this year to stand for the board and see if I could look after the interests of the clubs as we were hearing a number of disturbing things coming out at board level last season where it appeared things were being done without the knowledge of all the board, matters were being pushed through based on a second casting vote of the president and it appeared there was a move to dilute the say of the clubs in voting for board directors.

2. The week prior to the annual meeting I attended a meeting along with 5 other clubs and a couple of independant people. At this meeting based on information received these people decided that they would be voting to put the president Andrew McManus last on the voting paper and one of the independants was going to advise other clubs of their decision and leave to them to decide which way they voted.

3. At no time did I approach any club and seek their vote.

4. Accordingly at the annual meeting the president was voted off the board and it should be noted Rick Trusler and myself were voted onto the board in last place .

5. Prior to the first board meeting I rang the chief handicapper Mark O'Brien and ensured him that he would be getting the full support of the board and I would be pushing for the officials to be supported fully and not have decisions overturned as had previously happened.

6. Mark O'Brien attended the board meeting and asked for certain changes to be agreed on re handicapping and all of these were approved by all and you will notice by the minutes I seconded the recommendation..Mark said at the meeting that he would not be taking notice of the review panel if they should tell him to amend a mark and would not do the job if they did so.After Mark left I raised this point and said that if Mark was correct I would not expect this review board to overrule him either but should he be wrong we could not be threatened that he would not do job and would not take any notice -I did not withdraw my support for him .

7. After this meeting this conversation was passed onto Mark by one of the board ( who resigned the next day) and obviuosly the wrong information was construde on this.

8. The next day there were three resignations from the board sighting distrust to work with the other members and the chief handicapper also resigned.Unfortunately all chose to play out their resignations in the social media rather than to the clubs who elected them.

9. This has now reached a problem where the chief handicapper has agreed to come back provided some board members resign and are not involved in any official capacity.This is untenatable in that an employee should try and direct who should comprise the board or make up of the officials.


10. If they believe I am untrustworthy why did these people ask me to handle handicapping and chief steward duties in the past when the two unpopular jobs in the VAl was not wanted by anyone.

I am just sorry that I now cannot look after the interests of the clubs but feel in order for the sport to move on this year my resignation was the only way forward which will ensure that the officials that we desparately need this season can be appointed.

Finally I would like to thank all clubs for their friendship and co-operation over the years and wish them well for the future.If you need any advice on programming or suggestions to improve your carnivals please contact me.

regards
Terry O'Donnell

11 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:59 am

guesst

avatar
Guest
Lets look at TODs claims -

quote:
"1. After 27 years as an official either as handicapper or chief steward I decided this year to stand for the board and see if I could look after the interests of the clubs as we were hearing a number of disturbing things coming out at board level last season where it appeared things were being done without the knowledge of all the board, matters were being pushed through based on a second casting vote of the president and it appeared there was a move to dilute the say of the clubs in voting for board directors.

2. The week prior to the annual meeting I attended a meeting along with 5 other clubs and a couple of independant people. At this meeting based on information received these people decided that they would be voting to put the president Andrew McManus last on the voting paper and one of the independants was going to advise other clubs of their decision and leave to them to decide which way they voted."


Where were his concerns expressed in his letter of candidature?

Where were his concerns expressed in his speech before the vote?

Where were his concerns expressed to McManus himself?


quote:
"Mark said at the meeting that he would not be taking notice of the review panel if they should tell him to amend a mark and would not do the job if they did so."


If this was the case, and MOB had, in fact, taken this position, it would be easily established and we would also likely have heard this line much earlier, since there has been no shortage of the TOD/RT/WM/RD/AM/BS supporters/confidantes/persons themselves on this forum and the other "uncensored" forum happy to talk up the old timers and disparage MOB and each of the board members who resigned. Yet this is the first we have heard of this line. So this statement by TOD seems unlikely

Next, and more compelling, it seems extremely unlikely that MOB, who has been a huge advocate for the handicap review panel, would take a position where he would ignore a decision by the same handicap review panel that conflicted with a prior stated handicap decision he had arrived at or resign if pressed over it. I should point out that in MOB's Chief Handicapper's Report in the 2011 Annual Report, he made specific mention in reference to discretionary lifts for Stawell of those lifts only going ahead if both the handicappers and the handicap review panel agreed.

From
http : // www . val . org . au / FINAL%20ANNUAL%20REPORT%202011 . pdf
page 23


quote:
"• I’d also propose that we re-introduce a further discretionary lift
of up to 2 increments for established athletes for the Stawell
marks only, if we believe it appropriate and only with the
approval of the Handicap Review Panel. Obviously they would
need to remain on or inside their ceiling and wouldn’t retain the
discretionary Stawell adjustment in their start mark for the next
season."


It is extremely unlikely that MOB would aim to introduce the HRP and to limit his own discretionary powers at the biggest event on the calendar by specifically making them subject to pared agreement with any decision by the HRP if he then intended to ignore the HRP's decisions and resign if pressed. That does not make the slightest bit of sense, and suggests that TOD was at best not able to understand the nature of MOB's presentation. Much more likely, however, is that he still resents MOB for taking his former position and has fabricated this incoherent argument above in a poor attempt to discredit MOB.

Finally:


quote:
"After Mark left I raised this point and said that if Mark was correct I would not expect this review board to overrule him either but should he be wrong we could not be threatened that he would not do job and would not take any notice -I did not withdraw my support for him."


If, MOB had, in fact, made his intention to ignore his own HRP's decision clear to the board and TOD felt that there was a legitimate concern that MOB would attempt to use threat of mid-season resignation as leverage with the board to attempt to manipulate HRP decisions, this is actually the one component where TOD, or any other board members for that matter, would have been justified in expressing concerns and withdrawing support for MOB. Yet, TOD claims to have maintained his support for MOB here, and by all accounts from other parties involved, despite heated discussion across all areas of the handicapping topic after MOB left the room, not one other board member decided to withdraw support for MOB. If TOD's claims were correct, many of the board members would have expressed dissatisfaction; I cannot imagine any of the board members would stand for being threatend by the Chief Handicapper.

Overall, TOD's account seems self-serving and contradicts all other accounts thus far expressed as to that evening's proceedings. I find it very difficult to believe anything he has written.

12 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 am

sprinter

avatar
Guest
quote:
"After Mark left I raised this point and said that if Mark was correct I would not expect this review board to overrule him either but should he be wrong we could not be threatened that he would not do job and would not take any notice -I did not withdraw my support for him."



What arrogance does MOB display by not allowing anyone to critique his work! Any sensible person must allow a method of appeal, checks and balances to occur.

13 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:14 pm

gidgee

avatar
Guest
MOB posts on these forums with regularity.

14 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Friend

avatar
Guest
And what is you name my friend?

15 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:44 pm

youngy

avatar
Admin
Admin
gidgee wrote:MOB posts on these forums with regularity.


I don't know about other forums, but when MOB posts on Protrack, he does under his own name.


_________________
"Let's Go While We're Young"

16 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am

MOB

avatar
ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
In regards to Terry O'Donnell's letter to the Clubs I firstly wish to acknowledge his many years of service to the VAL. He has been a loyal and willing worker and I'm sure will continue to make a contribution with his involvement with clubs and meetings.

There are a number of inaccuracies in Terry's letter in regards to myself including his account of the discussions regarding the Review Panel. I have always been a firm advocate of the role of the Handicap Review Panel and acknowledge that if a handicap is incorrect or outside the guidelines, they have the authority to correct it.

I have asked the VAL President to correct the record on this and other inaccuracies in Terry's letter so I won't comment any further at this stage.

17 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm

interest

avatar
Guest
If MOB isn't the handicapper what role will he have within the VAL?

18 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Ta Emma

avatar
Guest
Can the feedback from the VRTA letter be published?

19 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 am

not sure

avatar
Guest
Can the feedback from the VRTA letter be published?


all the questions were designed for you to say yes.

20 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:44 am

ANZAC

avatar
Guest
Can the feedback from the VRTA letter be published?
all the questions were designed for you to say yes.



Very one sided from EP. Who does she represent again?

21 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 pm

EP Fan

avatar
Guest
Nobody works harder for the athletes than Emma does. Don't forget due to injury she can no longer compete but continues to volunteer her time and ability for the betterment of the "silent majority" of athletes. How about you provide your name and credentials so we can make a comparison on your contribution.

22 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:11 pm

yummy

avatar
Guest
I don't think anybody can have a dig at Em for her contributions as a volunteer but the poster regards the personal position taken by her as inappropriate for the title in which she represents.

She is the VRTA representative and should be impartial to any allegiance. She does her right to be the representative no good with the rant that she gave in the letter to all athletes taking a one sided position.

One would expect JH and others on the VRTA committee would be disappointed in the way she falsely speaks on behalf of all athletes.

Em's passion for the sport is undoubted but the way she is approaching this situation is distorted through her emotion.

23 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:55 pm

interstd

avatar
Guest
Hi All

With the Special General Meeting due shortly I feel obliged to offer the following explanation as to my role and the role of the Victorian Runners and Trainer’s Association in the aftermath of the recent Victorian Athletic League Annual General Meeting.

My involvement in the affairs of the VAL date back to the 1960’s I have been runner, trainer, club committeeman, member of the VRTA committee, advisor and confidant to many Clubs. I have also attended the VAL Annual General Meetings plus various forums and workshops, conducted by the VAL, on many occasions to stay abreast of the latest affairs of our sport and to stay up to date with the views and interests of the Clubs. I have a detailed and unique understanding of our sport and in the past I have on many occasions readily offered my unqualified support and assistance whenever requested.

Now to the matter at hand. In the months before and in the lead up to our most recent AGM I was approached by some of our leading Clubs for information as to “what was going on at Board level”.

Enquiries and discussion that I had after this request left me dissatisfied as to the operations of the Board and its interest in representing the individual Clubs. There appeared to be a controlling group who were pushing through their own agenda without being prepared to disclose all of the details to the full Board and eventually the various Clubs.

As a firm believer in the Club system I gained the view that the Clubs interests were being eroded at the expense of the vested interests of the few in power. The VAL is made up of big, medium and small clubs and although the money values are different each Club is treated equally. If there are rumblings that some clubs are going to be treated differently then this does not go down well with say, the smaller Clubs as they may feel that they will be ignored or even worse.

I make no apologies for the events leading up to the AGM elections. Clubs were approached and a range of issued were presented to them and the decision to vote one way or the other was theirs and theirs alone.

The election at the AGM was held in accordance with the general accepted protocols, the manner of the election was “all fair and above board” and as a result the matter should have been finalized. A VAL Board was elected and should have been allowed to function with the process of guiding the VAL through another Season etc.

The negativity and actions of those who lost power and resigned will be felt for the foreseeable future. They have done the sport a great deal of harm.

If I spoke to any Club I did not represent myself as representing the VRTA because I wasn’t as they will all confirm. I represented myself and all of the other like minded individuals who like me were concerned as to where our sport was being directed.

The fact is, there has never been a VRTA committee meeting where the outcome of the AGM has been discussed. Any correspondence to the Clubs or to internet forums purporting to come from the VRTA has in fact emanated from other than the VRTA committee and should be accorded little relevance in relation to the views of the committee and the runners and trainers as a whole in relation to this matter. Unfortunately this is not the first time that a committee member of the VRTA has seen fit to take it upon themselves express their own views as the views of the VRTA committee.

Going back many years, the 1960’ and 70’s, to my early involvement with the sport the VRTA fought long and hard to gain recognition on the VAL Board and the ability to elect their own members to the Board. It would be most unfortunate if the actions of a few should diminish the standing of the VRTA in the eyes of the Clubs who so graciously supported their efforts for self representation.

Finally to help explain the reasons for some of my views I would like to repeat a paragraph from Rick Trusler's letter of resignation from the Board that highlights a jointly held view. I might add that Rick, as a true believer, resigned in an effort to end this confrontation although he was so enthusiastic in joining the Board that he had ambitions to present himself for election to one of the senior positions on the Board.

Rick wrote:
“This affair is not about the VAL, it is purely one of power, its use and retention. The Board last year was fractured and there was no attempt to achieve a conciliatory atmosphere where all points of view were received. Often matters for discussion were already decided prior to Board meetings. This is not to say that there may have ultimately been any opposition to such but there was certainly a group who controlled the Board and they were not interested in taking on board views contrary or differing to theirs.”

I have taken this action of writing to you all in an effort to clarify my role without the embellishments that some others have attempted to add to my efforts and to encourage you to attend the SGM with an open mind, recognize that the current Board was elected in accordance with the rules and not to be fearful of any repercussion from the VRTA as that is just fanciful.

Ours is a great sport. It has never relied on just one man to survive. It is the combined efforts of a unified whole that has enabled us to endure for over one hundred years and I look forward to the next one hundred.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the SGM where you will once again be given the opportunity to have your say and progress our great sport.

Best regards to all

JH

24 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Club

avatar
Guest
I would like to know the specific adverse agenda pushed through by the previous board and chairman. As a club member I would also like to know what detriment these decisions caused to other clubs as ours was not aware of any.

25 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Cheers

avatar
Guest
JH's letter simply confirms that certain Board members and officials confided in and schemed with JH rather than their own Board. They then talk about "factions" and the necessity for communication. Talk about Hipocrisy.

26 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:13 pm

NOTVRTA

avatar
Guest
Now to the matter at hand. In the months before and in the lead up to our most recent AGM I was approached by some of our leading Clubs for information as to “what was going on at Board level”.

WAS THIS THE SAME PERSON WHO APPROACHED TERRY? WHO WAS IT?

Enquiries and discussion that I had after this request left me dissatisfied as to the operations of the Board and its interest in representing the individual Clubs. There appeared to be a controlling group who were pushing through their own agenda without being prepared to disclose all of the details to the full Board and eventually the various Clubs.

HASN'T THE LETTER FROM THE CURRENT VAL BOARD STATED THAT THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN?

As a firm believer in the Club system I gained the view that the Clubs interests were being eroded at the expense of the vested interests of the few in power. The VAL is made up of big, medium and small clubs and although the money values are different each Club is treated equally. If there are rumblings that some clubs are going to be treated differently then this does not go down well with say, the smaller Clubs as they may feel that they will be ignored or even worse.

HOW CAN YOU REPRESENT THE ATHLETES AND TRAINERS BY BEING ON THE INDEPENDENT VRTA AND ALSO THE DELEGATE FOR ST ALBANS. IF THERE WAS A CLUB V ATHLETE/TRAINER ISSUE WHO'S INTERESTS WOULD YOU VOTE IN FAVOUR OF??

I make no apologies for the events leading up to the AGM elections. Clubs were approached and a range of issued were presented to them and the decision to vote one way or the other was theirs and theirs alone.

ARE THESE DIFFERENT 'ISSUES' TO THE ONES THE CURRENT BOARD HAVE SAID ARE UNTRUE?

The negativity and actions of those who lost power and resigned will be felt for the foreseeable future. They have done the sport a great deal of harm.

FOR TH MILLIONTH TIME THE ONLY ONES POWER HUNGRY ARE YOUR GROUP

If I spoke to any Club I did not represent myself as representing the VRTA because I wasn’t as they will all confirm. I represented myself and all of the other like minded individuals who like me were concerned as to where our sport was being directed.

WHY DIDN'T YOU RAISE ANY OF THESE ISSUES WITH YOUR VRTA COMMITTEE. LIKE THE VAL BOARD MEMBERS YOU HAVE BREACHED A NUMBER OF DUTIES AS A COMMITTEE PERSON. I HOPE THE VRTA COMMITTEE WILL HOLD YOU TO ACCOUNT


Finally to help explain the reasons for some of my views I would like to repeat a paragraph from Rick Trusler's letter of resignation from the Board that highlights a jointly held view. I might add that Rick, as a true believer, resigned in an effort to end this confrontation although he was so enthusiastic in joining the Board that he had ambitions to present himself for election to one of the senior positions on the Board.

SO RICK WAS VOTED ONTO THE BOARD IN ONE OF THE LAST TWO POSITIONS GAINING A ONE YEAR TERM AND THEN STOOD FOR THE ROLE OF VICE PRESIDENT? THIS SOUNDS LIKE A POWER HUNGRY PERSON TO ME. HOW ON EARTH COULD YOU NOMINATE YOURSELF FOR VP KNOWING THAT CLUBS HAD YOU NUMBER 6 OR 7 IN THEIR VOTING ORDER- HARDLY A GLOWING ENDORSEMENT

Rick wrote:
“This affair is not about the VAL, it is purely one of power, its use and retention. The Board last year was fractured and there was no attempt to achieve a conciliatory atmosphere where all points of view were received. Often matters for discussion were already decided prior to Board meetings. This is not to say that there may have ultimately been any opposition to such but there was certainly a group who controlled the Board and they were not interested in taking on board views contrary or differing to theirs.”

DEFINATELY ABOUT POWER GRAB, AND IT IS BY YOUR GROUP. CAN'T WAIT FOR MARK HOWARD TO CLARIFY ALL THIS

I have taken this action of writing to you all in an effort to clarify my role without the embellishments that some others have attempted to add to my efforts and to encourage you to attend the SGM with an open mind, recognize that the current Board was elected in accordance with the rules and not to be fearful of any repercussion from the VRTA as that is just fanciful.

WHY HAS IT TAKEN UNTIL NOW TO CLARIFY YOUR ROLE? DID THE VRTA KNOW YOU WERE ACTING INDEPENDENTLY OR DID YOU NOT DISCLOSE THIS

Ours is a great sport. It has never relied on just one man to survive. It is the combined efforts of a unified whole that has enabled us to endure for over one hundred years and I look forward to the next one hundred.

IF YOU ARE ALLUDING TO MCMANUS AS THE ONE MAN YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF. IT IS ABOUT ETHICAL BEHAVIOUR.IF YOUR GROUP WAS SMART, INSTEAD OF TELLING LIES TO THE CLUBS ALL YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID WAS 'WE DON'T LIKE MCMANUS' - AND THEN THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTHING ANYONE COULD HAVE DONE, AS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN YOUR HONEST OPINION.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the SGM where you will once again be given the opportunity to have your say and progress our great sport.

WILL THEY GET A CHANCE FOR THEIR SAY? I HERE YOU ARE THE DELEGATE FOR ST ALBANS AND RICK IS THE OBSERVOR FOR ST ALBANS. DOES ANYONE ON THE ST ALBANS COMMITTEE EVEN AWARE THAT AN SGM IS TAKING PLACE?

Best regards to all

JH

27 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Testy

avatar
Guest
If anyone should be held to account, it should be the VRTA rep. Without consulting her committee, she has gone and written an unbalanced, biased letter with leading questions to the running fraternity. Implying the letter has come from the VRTA committee was very poor and underhanded from someone who was meant to be impartial and representative of ALL runners.

28 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Cheers

avatar
Guest
Testy you are clearly part of the small controlling faction. Emma is the VRTA rep on the Board and quite reasonably communicated to the VAL athletic community in that capacity.

Thank goodness she has been prepared to do so because the silence from the President and the rest of the Board has been deafening, with the end result being the athletes have little idea what is going on, with many waiting accordingly before they register.

The SGM cant come soon enough to get all out into the open.

29 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 am

Nickel

avatar
Guest
Silence from the president ?? Are you kidding? Have a look on the VAL website news. There are more updates from the board in past few weeks than from any previous board.

30 Re: Message to VAL members about the SGM on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm

kevin 07

avatar
Guest
results?

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum