PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Scott Westcott: Out of the Wilderness

Scott Westcott: Out of the Wilderness

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Scott Westcott: Out of the Wilderness on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/scott-westcott-out-of-the-wilderness/2269633.aspx

Scott Westcott: Out of the wilderness

By JOSH CALLINAN
Maitand Mercury
25 Aug, 2011

Fresh legs are a rare commodity in the world of marathon running but Aberglasslyn’s Scott Westcott believes he has found a pair.

The 35-year-old feels rejuvenated and on course to reach an Olympic dream after more than a year in the athletics wilderness.

Westcott signalled his return from stress fractures in his feet with a breakthrough win at the NSW Short Course Championships in Sydney and followed it up with a bronze medal at the Australian Cross Country Championships in Canberra on the weekend.

Now, he wants to use this momentum as the springboard towards representing Australia at London 2012.

“Every kid dreams of representing their country when they play their junior sport, and I was like every other kid,” Westcott said.

“I’m 35 and the dream is still alive.

“I believe I’ve got fresh legs, which is a funny thing to say for a marathon runner ... and it feels like I’m 22 and making my breakthrough performances all over again.

“I’ve had a couple of years in the wilderness, and it’s like I’ve almost got to start from scratch.

“But I feel like I’m pretty close and I’ll go round for a little while yet to see if I can get that green and gold.”

Westcott wore the national uniform in 2006 at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, where he finished fourth in the marathon, and three years later at the World Championships in Berlin.

But he’s also had his fair share of heartbreak as well.

Most recently it was being overlooked for Australia’s athletics team that contested the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India.

But prior to that Westcott had come perilously close to Olympic selection before narrowly missing out on each occasion.

“I’ve had this focused Olympic dream for the best part of 12 or 13 years since I first moved to the Hunter area back in 1998 ... and it really came alive just before Sydney [2000 Olympics],” he said.

“I qualified for Sydney, qualified for Athens [2004 Olympics] and qualified for Beijing [2008 Olympics] as well, but didn’t get the nod.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum