PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Zoe Buckman appeal dismissed - Will miss WC

Zoe Buckman appeal dismissed - Will miss WC

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Zoe Buckman appeal dismissed - Will miss WC on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/buckman-selection-appeal-dismissed/2262494.aspx

Buckman selection appeal dismissed

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE, ATHLETICS
Canberra Times
18 Aug, 2011

Canberra middle distance runner Zoe Buckman will not make a last-minute dash to Daegu to join the Australian athletics team.

Buckman, 22, who is currently in London, had her appeal over non-selection for the world championships in Korea dismissed yesterday.

Her coach Nic Bideau was disappointed with Athletics Australia's decision as he felt she had shown enough promise to get a ticket.

''She's a very good athlete and very talented,'' Bideau said. ''She's got a lot of tools ... she needed experience for her to have the best chance in London, she needed the experience of this championship.''

Buckman, the national 1500m champion, failed to run the qualifying time of 4min 5.9sec, missing out by just 0.16sec with her best run in Finland last month.

But selectors could have picked her as a discretionary selection if they felt she was a chance of finishing in the top 16, or a prospect for the future.

Four others - Canberra's Lauren Boden, Henry Frayne, Robbie Crowther and Ryan Gregson - were all selected using this criteria despite not achieving their qualifying marks.

Buckman said she would put the decision behind her and focus on qualifying for the London Olympics to ensure she didn't face a similar fate next year. Currently based in the United States, she will soon move to Melbourne to help achieve that goal.

''We can't take it any further so we just have to let it go,'' Bideau said.

The appeal was examined on two grounds.

Firstly, whether the selectors had adhered to the selection criteria and secondly whether the grounds for her non-selection were reasonable.

Athletics Australia decided that the original decision ticked both boxes.

Meanwhile Canberra race walker Jared Tallent is hoping all his work in the Australian Institute of Sport's altitude house and heat room would benefit him in the hot and humid conditions in Daegu.

Tallent, who won a bronze and silver at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, will represent Australia in the 20km and 50km walks.

''I've headed overseas for a couple of races but based myself primarily in Canberra this year, training at home and using the facilities at the AIS,'' he said. ''I have spent plenty of time in the altitude house and even more in the heat room so that I can prepare for the hot conditions that we'll face.

''We always knew that conditions here would be tough but to be honest I didn't think it was too bad until I headed out for a training session yesterday.''

Tallent's wife Claire (20km walk), Regan Lamble (20km), Commonwealth Games silver medallist Luke Adams (20km and 50km), Adam Rutter (20km) and Nathan Deakes (50km) will also represent Australia.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

youngy

Admin
Admin
"But selectors could have picked her as a discretionary selection if they felt she was a chance of finishing in the top 16, or a prospect for the future.

Four others - Canberra's Lauren Boden, Henry Frayne, Robbie Crowther and Ryan Gregson - were all selected using this criteria despite not achieving their qualifying marks."

Just goes to show how ordinary & lacking in vision the selectors were two years ago. Four athletes were selected on their 'potential' yet Buckman wasn't considered good enough?

That was a woeful & embarrassing decision then and even more so now..... as was the decision to leave Josh Ross out of the 100m for London.

At least in 2013 there appears to be paradigm shift in the attitude of the selectors and more athletes are getting the opportunity to demonstrate what they can do when given the encouragement & support from AA.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum