PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Matt Shirvington in fast lane with the Dragons

Matt Shirvington in fast lane with the Dragons

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/matt-shirvington-in-fast-lane-for-dragons/2256022.aspx?storypage=0

Matt Shirvington, pictured training with the Waratahs,
will give the Dragons sprinting tips.

Matt Shirvington in fast lane for Dragons
BY TIM BARROW AND PETER FITZGERALD
Illawarra Mercury
12 Aug, 2011

St George Illawarra coach-in-waiting Steve Price has jumped quickly out of the blocks in pursuit of a competitive edge next year, recruiting former Australian sprint coach Matt Shirvington.
Shirvington will join the Dragons in November to oversee their preseason speed and acceleration program.

Since retiring from international athletics, the 32-year-old has worked with Super Rugby franchise the NSW Waratahs, as well as the Sydney Swans.

It was as a result of his work with the Waratahs earlier this year that Shirvington was recommended to Dragons physiotherapist Andrew Gray.

Gray, who also works with the NSW Origin team, approached Shirvington during Origin III camp in late June about possibly linking with the Dragons.

Shirvington will work with the club initially on a 12-week deal before reviewing his role at the beginning of the 2012 NRL season.

The hiring of Shirvington will ensure the Dragons are among the quickest and fittest squads in the NRL next year, having already secured Wests Tigers assistant coach Steve Folkes as Price's assistant.

Shirvington accepted his role would be challenging, especially in the post Wayne Bennett-era at the Dragons, but backed himself to succeed.

"Sure, it will be a slightly different year for the club, having Wayne away, but fundamentally as footballers they're amazing athletes and any chance I get to work with elite-level sportsmen is great," Shirvington told the Mercury last night.

"I'm going to have my work cut out. I know the structure of their training and conditions have been very well planned and thought out so I'm going to have to work hard to have an impact, but I know I can.

"I have a unique outlook and insight into developing speed and the fundamentals of power. League is a game of inches so if you can put yourself in a position a little faster than your opposition - in both defence and attack - you can stabilise yourself and give yourself more time to have a greater impact."

Shirvington announced his arrival on the international stage with a career-best 10.03sec fourth in the 100m at the 1998 Commonwealth Games.

He was Australian 100m champion from 1998 to 2002.

Since retiring, Shirvington has been living in London, taking on coaching roles with talented young sprinters and also becoming a television personality.

He has been hired to boost the athletic performance of developing Dragons players like Kyle Stanley and Bronx Goodwin, as well as established stars including Brett Morris.

The announcement comes just a week after the club purchased a number of high-tech training apparatus, including an Alter-G treadmill, designed to take the weight loads off the players.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=41753&title=matt-shirvington-to-join-dragons-performace-department-in-2012

Matt Shirvington To Join Dragons Performace Department In 2012

Dragons Website
11/08/2011

The St George Illawarra Dragons officially announced on Thursday that Matt Shirvington has agreed to join the Club’s Performance Department to deliver its Speed and Acceleration Program in 2012.

Shirvington, 32, will deliver the Dragons Speed and Acceleration Program alongside incoming Dragons’ Performance Director Andrew Gray and will join the Club in November.

During an international athletics career that spanned a decade, the international sprinter held both the Australian 100m national sprint title from 1998-2002 as well as placing fourth in the 1998 Commonwealth Games 100m final with an Australian record time of 10.03 seconds.

Since his retirement, Shirvington has developed a dual career in coaching and television, allowing him to assist athletes in optimising their speed for various professional sports whilst staying involved with traditional athletics.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Concerns

Great. Now the Dragons will be free-balling at NRL matches. It's fine if you're in a blue one-piecer like Shirvo ran in, but that's not going to mesh well with the NRL's attempts at re-branding the league as a family friendly game when some Dragons winger expertly dodges a player only to have a pill pop out the bottom. :S

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum