PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » VAL AGM election results

VAL AGM election results

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 VAL AGM election results on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:08 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
7th August 2011
VAL ELECTION RESULTS
Please note that the following members were elected to the VAL
Board.

Mathew Boyes (Voted new President) Two year term
Stephen Cato - Two year term
Brian Marantelli - Two year term
Cam Yorke - Two year term
Sue Dunbar - Two year term
Rick Trusler - One year term
Terry O'Donnell - One year term
The full Board also consists of the following
Paul Connolly (Vice-President)
Emma Poynton
Wally Meechan

Victorian Athletic League Inc

2 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am

Vicmeets

VAL Meetings
Melton (Tabcorp Park) Friday 14th October 2011 (Heats)
Melton (Tabcorp Park) Friday 21st October 2011 (Heats)
Meadowglen (Epping) Sunday 23rd October 2011
Melton (Tabcorp Park) Friday 28th October 2011 (Heats)
Melton (Tabcorp Park) Friday 4th November 2011 (FINALS)
Dandenong Show Saturday 12th November 2011
Movember Friday 19th November 2011
Terang Sunday 27th November 2011
Peninsula (Frankston) Saturday 3rd December 2011
Albert Park Opening (Zatopek) Saturday 10th December 2011
Northcote Sunday 11th December 2011
Gippsland Gift (Traralgon) Saturday 17th December 2011
Warragul Sunday 18th December 2011
Maryborough Monday 2nd January 2012
Ringwood Sunday 8th January 2012
Rye Saturday 14th January 2012
St Albans Saturday 21st January 2012
Sale (Australia Day) Thursday 26th January 2012
Wangaratta Saturday 28th January 2012
Albury Sunday 29th January 2012
Avondale Heights Saturday 4th February 2012
St Bernards (Essendon) Sunday 5th February 2012
Stonnington (Prahran) Friday 10th February 2012
Ararat Saturday 11th February 2012
Ballarat Saturday 11th & 12th February 2012
Keilor Saturday 18th February 2012
Noble Park Sun 26th February 2012
Maribyrnong (Braybrook) Sunday 5th March 2012
Bendigo Sat 11th - Sun 12th March 2012
Burramine (Yarrawonga) Saturday 17th March 2012
Euroa Sunday 18th March 2012
Cricket Willow (Daylesford) Sunday 25th March 2012
Stawell Sat 7th - Mon 9th April 2012
Horsham Wednesday 11th April 2012 (TBA)
Ballarat Saturday 14th April 2012

3 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Some concerns in the VAL calendar for the SAAL if they want to attract VAL athletes.

Mt Gambier is up against Peninsula. Terang is scheduled the week before. Would have been better for both Leagues for Terang & Mt Gambier to be held on the same weekend, but that's not to be. From the SAAL point of view having two country meets a week apart is not ideal, therefore the fortnight gap between Whyalla and Mt Gambier. With only three country meets on the calendar, they need to be spaced apart as well as it can be managed.

Camden now goes head to head with Avondale Heights AND St Bernards on the same weekend. Hard to see any VAL athletes making the trek over to Camden when they have Avondale (400m Gift) and St Bernards (70m Classic & 800m Gift) in their own backyard.

Loxton (again) up against Noble Park which continues to grow in stature each year.

4 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Andrew McManus didn't get re-elected?

Reading the VAL's annual report, there doesn't seem to be too much the VAL was doing wrong under his leadership. Plenty of good meetings; entries and registrations are up; made a good profit in each of the last two seasons; it has money in the bank.

Must have been some interesting lobbying going on behind the scenes.....

5 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 am

jest

Andrew wasn't aligned to any factions. Doesn't play politics, cost him in the end. Sad day for the sport.

6 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

What the

How could Andrew McManus not get on the VAL Board? There were 7 spots up for grabs and 9 candidates. O'Donnell & Trusler ahead of Andrew McManus????
Am I missing something???

7 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am

1 Board

At least now we can have a board all pulling in the one direction instead of one minority making decisions without consulting the rest of the board, and creating much angst.

8 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 pm

too bad

The clubs have been fooled by a couple of old timers with way too much influence. The voting process needs to be looked at if one or two individuals can form a block of votes to get rid of someone who doesn't suit them.

9 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Very poor result for the VAL as Andrew McManus had done a lot of good work and had a lot of good work still to be done. It appears that once again the 'old boys network' has reclaimed control of the sport so it will be interesting to see how they use their power to bring the sport forward. The pressure and scrutiny on them will be intense!

10 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Caesar

A lot of people are seriously worried about what will happen to the VAL, now that a faction has control. Are there enough independents there to stop them??? Time will tell.

11 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:06 pm

BG

Andrew McManus has done a massive amount for the sport in his time on the board of the VAL.

When Andrew joined the VAL board, the sport was at its lowest ebb and on the brink of insolvency. Nobody has disputed this. The vast majority go missing in a time of crisis, but Andrew recognised the sport’s need for help and stepped forward. He did so for no other reason than for the benefit of the sport. He had no allegiance, no motivation of taking a personal advantage. Nobody has ever questioned his motives because to do so would be ridiculous.

For the first time in a long time, and under Andrew’s presidency, the VAL has turned profits. The current financial stability is the direct result of the countless hours of hard work of people like Andrew, Mark Howard, Paul Connolly, Mark O’Brien and Brian Marantelli.

The sport has taken a massive step forward in the past 2 years and Andrew was an obvious and critical part of that. Any decision to remove him cannot be based on HIS performance.

Last season, one of the “old timers” of the VAL told me that “we could get rid of him just like that”, as he clicked his fingers with a smug smile. When I asked why on earth you would want to do that given the progress that the sport has made in the last 2 years, the smile turned to pathetic sheepishness.

The campaigning prior to the AGM was telling and dripping in irony. Those who had campaigned to remove Andrew now have the challenge of continuing the advances made under his presidency. That challenge is substantially more difficult than measuring a track. The retention of hard working people like Mark Howard, Paul Connolly, Cam Yorke and Brian Marantelli might disguise things for a while, but that assumes they will be motivated to stay.

Before the chorus comes, this post is not sour grapes over a mate who got shafted. He got shafted and sometimes that’s life, but those doing the shafting now come under scrutiny. Yes, I am friends with Andrew...that’s how I know just how much he has done for this sport and the benefit of others over the last few years. Again, with no personal agenda, no goal of “achieving” any advantage over others. If his “downfall” was that he had no allegiance to any group and required too much transparency, that says infinitely more about others than it does about him. Equally obvious, is that the “criticism” of Andrew did not surface until the AGM. If there was any substance to it or the people holding those views, it would have been raised long before now.

As I have done for a few years now, I’ll get back to keeping my South Australian opinion to myself until somebody asks me for it.

12 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Why???

Things are crook in Tootgarook! Good call BG. There must be more to it, its hard to understand how a guy like Andrew McManus gets shafted. Can anyone offer reasons why this happened?

13 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:02 pm

guess

Equally obvious, is that the “criticism” of Andrew did not surface until the AGM.

Nice to see you sticking up for a mate but maybe get the facts right first.By your own admission you seemed to have a talk about it last season with an "old timer" and most people in the VAL knew there were problems last season.
So maybe show your support from afar and worry about your own backyard.

14 Re: VAL AGM election results on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 pm

MOB

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Well done BG on your forthright comments, which I completely concur with. I was simply staggered by what happened and cannot for the life of me understand it.

One of his many achievements was the introduction of the Handicap Panel which was a major step forward and has brought structure & organisation into handicapping as well as enabled the gradual training and introduction of new handicappers.

I was incredibly impressed by his professionalism and vision and very much appreciated his support at all times. If he is lost to the VAL, it will be much the worse for it.

15 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 am

BG

Guess

Have the integrity to put a name to your comment. Otherwise your post has the same substance as the faceless old timers who didn't like Andrew's professionalism.

If as you say, most people knew about whatever issues there were, I'm sure the issues are reflected all through the minutes of VAL board minutes?

Enlighten us, what were the issues?

You can't defend the indefensible. Quit while you're not so far behind.

While the old timers will no doubt be patting themselves on the back for a job well done, not one of them had the backbone to raise their issues properly. They'll also no doubt consider themselves the "power brokers" of the sport. Not a shred of talent or integrity amongst them though. There's no power in changing the board of a not for profit sports organisation. In the real world, the Stadler and Waldorf brigade get chewed up, which is why they spend their time getting in the way of decent people in this sport.

This sport can ill-afford to lose people of the quality of Andrew McManus.

BG

16 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Agree totally BG, these old drones think they're powerbrokers because they pull the strings and make a few dollars in betting and prizemoney. The sport will no longer tolerate cloak and dagger stuff going on and it is the very reason the sport was in such disarray through the late nineties and early noughties.

Just remember fellas, now that you have total control of the Board you have no-one else to blame when it all turns to crap!

17 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
In 1992 after retiring as an athlete, I joined the VAL Board with a desire to help and assist the sport. I was young, energetic, enthusiastic and keen to make a difference. I could envisage exciting times ahead and with hopefully other like minded people we could develop the sport into something bigger & better than it already was.

I lasted nine months.

I found the Board included 5 or 6 people who were only interested in matters of minutia; issues that directly affected them. These issues included personal grievances, some going back many years.

It was as if you had to become one of the 'pack' to fit in. I found it difficult to deal with board men whose main issues were about handicaps and how something that happened to them personally 20 years ago, was the sole purpose of their desire to be on the board.

Some were on the board to keep someone else off it. They boasted about it. The indignity of their behaviour was overlooked. As if denying someone else a seat at the board was a badge of honour.

At one VAL AGM in the early nineties, Bob Woodbridge was nominated for life membership. His nomination should have been a fait accompli. He had been nominated in good faith, fulfilled all the criteria for life membership and would have been a worthy recipient. The vote was by a show of hands. Normally in these types of situations, if one wasn't comfortable with the idea of a person being nominated for life membership he would abstain from voting. At least 'he' wouldn't be seen to be directly denying the nominee his life membership. But this wasn't good enough for the 'pack' they had to openly humiliate Bob by voting en bloc. When the time came to vote against - they all put their hands up, ensuring Bob was denied his life membership. It was petty, disgraceful and demonstrated why not one of them should be in a position of influence in this sport. Another case of petty grievances overriding what was was good for the sport.

In 1995, we saw what was probably one of the darkest periods in the VAL's history. It demonstrated what levels some will stoop to, to not just ensure they get the odds in their favour but the lengths some will go to, to stop someone else from achieving what they crave. Fair to say some people of influence in the VAL hated Jim Bradley with a passion. Combine that with their own desire to win the Stawell Gift by any means within their power and you have a toxic & dangerous mixture swirling around that boils over into utter anarchy. Glen Crawford was almost railroaded out of the Stawell Gift because the pack though it was 'their turn' and Jim Bradley needed to be taught a lesson.

Fortunately justice prevailed, Crawford wrote his names into the record books, the VAL was forced to make a public statement exonerating Glen Crawford & Jim Bradley of any wrong doing. It cost the VAL several thousands of dollars to defend the indefensible. And all because 'the pack' were hell bent on winning by any means at their disposal and to hell to any semblance of decency, integrity or dignity.

In the finish of course, Jim Bradley suffered through his athletes. For several years after, his runners were persecuted and treated with contempt. The pack will get you in the end.

16 years on it seems not much has changed. The same petty issues are present. I've no doubt some of those who nominated for the board did so because of a grievance rather than what they could do for the sport. Andrew McManus got on their nerves, so time to show him a lesson.

I'm sure Andrew McManus was full of good intentions when he put his hat in the ring two years ago to get involved on the VAL Board. Not for him petty politics, or grievances or what someone might have done to him 20 years ago. His intentions were genuine and emanated from desire to take the sport forward.

Problem is Andrew didn't endear him to those of influence and in the end he was making life difficult for them.

So like Bob Woodbridge did so many years ago, on Sunday a proud, good man walked away from a VAL AGM, humiliated. The pack will get you in the end.

In the cold hard light of day, there are four people whose use by date as far as Board members are concerned expired some time ago. But this is not about the future benefit of the sport but the trivial issues that consume them and their need to control the VAL environment.

From another persective, it's fair to say Brendan Golden and I are not mates. Outside of pro running, we have very little in common. If we both walked away from the sport today, I wouldn't be in a hurry to catch up with him and I dare say, he wouldn't be fussed if he never saw me again. Each season I have my issues with Brendan Golden. Do I like him?......good question, and I'm not sure I can answer it. What I will say is he has been a fantastic president for the SAAL and I admire and respect the enormous amount of work he has done for the sport in SA. If another candidate emerged for the presidency of the SAAL, it would take a massive effort from the challenger to convince me he could do a better job than BG has done.

When you've got a good president, you put your own grievances aside and look at the macro issues of the sport, and as long as the president and the board address these successfully, why change?

Given the challenges the VAL now face, I suspect 'the pack' have done Andrew McManus a favour.

18 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Julius C

JH you seem to be a regular results poster on this site and are seen as a VAL powerbroker - what is your take on this?

I hear that you raised a motion on behalf of the clubs to 'not hear the constitutional changes' which was supported. Were you also aware of the landslide of club votes against the former President? Could i ask if you voted for him?

19 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm

JH

Expert
Expert
Julius C wrote:JH you seem to be a regular results poster on this site and are seen as a VAL powerbroker - what is your take on this?

Julius,I cannot help others perception of me.

I hear that you raised a motion on behalf of the clubs to 'not hear the constitutional changes' which was supported. Were you also aware of the landslide of club votes against the former President? Could i ask if you voted for him?

As for the motion it was moved to defer the changes until the next AGM when the whole constitution can be brought into the 21st century. As for the other I have 1 vote and one vote only the same as every other club.As you asked this is the first and last time I will comment on the matter.

20 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:43 pm

tankered

Most clubs dont give a shit who is president.

THEY only care about what the VAL can do for them.

More athletes need to get involved with clubs so they can add a voice of reason.

21 Re: VAL AGM election results on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Mex

Do I read the Calendar correctly?
Prahran on the 10th feb, Ararat on the 11th feb and Ballarat on the 11th and 12th of feb? Big weekend, Ballarat also mentioned as being on the 14th of April (after Stawell again). Probable mistake?
Some big weekends, looking at Sale, Wang and Albury within 4 days of each other as well. Euroa and Burramine on the same weekend, Horsham couple of days after Stawell, good chance for a multiple peak season. Also a good chance to do some dough on entries. Hopefully I can pick up a win this year, I probably only have 1 or 2 seasons left in me Sad

22 Re: VAL AGM election results on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm

ABCD

You sure you only had 1 vote JH

23 Re: VAL AGM election results on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

reality

A lot of people are seriously worried about what will happen to the VAL, now that a faction has control. Are there enough independents there to stop them??? Time will tell.

The sad reality my friend is that one has just been replaced. JH won't talk about it on here but the former administration had the power through their voting to do what you seemed to be afraid of now. As I look at it now that balance seems to have been elected, even if McManus was the one that was least supported at the agm.

24 Re: VAL AGM election results on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 am

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
The former administration was not factional to start with (not openly anyway) but the implementation of the handicap system saw a split develop. Essentially you either supported Mark O'Brien to do the job his way (3 tick system) or you didn't. A negative faction developed who sought to undermine the President and have been clearly successful in achieving their agenda. The only positive is that the man who desperately sought the Presidency to further stoke his massive ego did not get the job and was unsuccessful in his tilt at Vice-President.
As I've said before, now that they have full control of the Board it is time for them to continue to deliver on the growth that has been achieved over the past few seasons.

25 Re: VAL AGM election results on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:40 am

Suggest

Perhaps the new President of the VAL can show that he has the interests of the VAL as his most important role that he with his own involvement in the VAL by changing the date of his own meet (Peninsula).

Peninsula should be moved to the weekend of where Terang currently sits which ultimately assist Peninsula because it would then avoid a clash with Mt Gambier which many Victorian athletes have enjoyed supporting.

In addition an offer for Terang to move to the following weekend and be placed the day after Mt Gambier which would altimately assist the Terang club and the Mt Gambier Club in the SAAL. This is also in the interests of all the runners and trainers to increase opportunity and choice.

This is a no brainer for the new President. Hopefully we wont see him sit on his hands and be someones elses puppet. Proof will be in the pudding and it starts with this action.
Idea Exclamation

26 Re: VAL AGM election results on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am

Raff

I don't think that supporting MOB and the 2 tick system go hand in hand. I was strongly in favour of the 2 tick system over the 3 tick system, but that doesn't mean I'm anti MOB. The system is continually evolving and and softening in my feelings toward the 3 tick system. Time will tell if the 3 ticks and reducing the start time to 12.40 in the gift is the right way to go, but that doesn't mean I've ever been anti MOB.

27 Re: VAL AGM election results on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:05 pm

watchdog

Faction 1
Mathew Boyes (President)
Stephen Cato
Wally Meechan

Faction 2
Rick Trusler
Terry O'Donnell

Faction 3
Brian Marantelli
Cam Yorke
Emma Poynton

Faction 4
Sue Dunbar

28 Re: VAL AGM election results on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 pm

topdog

Wrong!

Faction 1
Wally Meechan
Rick Trusler
Terry O'Donnell

Independent thinkers
Mathew Boyes (President)
Stephen Cato
Brian Marantelli
Cam Yorke
Emma Poynton

Controlled by Rick D
Sue Dunbar

29 Re: VAL AGM election results on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Lap Dog

Wrong again!! Ask yourself this topdog, If Cato/Boyes were involved with another squad would they be on the board now? OR, would they have bothered to nominate if not for Wally's influence. I think NOT!

The one and only Faction
Wally Meechan
Mathew Boyes (President)
Stephen Cato
Rick Trusler
Terry O'Donnell
Sue Dunbar but Controlled by Rick D

Independent thinkers
Brian Marantelli
Cam Yorke
Emma Poynton

30 Re: VAL AGM election results on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm

UnderDog

Pretty much agree with Lap Dog* but am hopeful Steve Cato, given his strong background and history, will be his own man and will move to the independent thinkers group.

I also think there is a good chance Sue Dunbar will see this set up for what it is and will see common sense where required.

The problem will be lack of strong leadership, such as what McManus provided - in the end the clubs have noone to blame but themselves.

* Changed by the Admin in accordance with Under Dog's second message, reproduced below.

"Apologies, correction to my last post, I was in agreement with Lap Dog."

Last edited by Admin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Under Dog agreed with Lap Dog)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum