PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Runners Tribe blog from Steve Solomon

Runners Tribe blog from Steve Solomon

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Runners Tribe blog from Steve Solomon on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:58 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
Terrific blog from teenage 400m national champion Steve Solomon on Runners Tribe, showing a young man in charge of where he is going, mature beyond his years and with some very good people around him.

http://www.runnerstribe.com/page/RT-News/International-News

Steve Solomon Blogs for RT: Busy Times
posted by rtross on August 3, 2011, 12:14am

By Steve Solomon

The last few weeks have been up there with the busiest of my life to date. With Year 12 HSC Trial exams and with just over a month until the World Championships, I had plenty to do both academically and athletically.

Training throughout June and July had been great. I was running really fast and my strong base work from a couple of months ago is paying dividends with my endurance. Since my last blog, I have very much begun speed work. Two of my three training sessions each week involve a speed foundation, with speed endurance sessions rounding out the third session. I’ve been feeling really strong, and certainly feeling more powerful then I have ever before. I think this is attributed to my “walking drill’s” and core stability work Fira (my coach) has gotten the squad doing after each session. The kind of exercises we do are lunges, walking squats, crab walk etc. Because I currently do not have a gym component to my training, this kind of strength training makes me a lot stronger.

Another pleasing aspect to my progression over the last few weeks have been my starts. Still young and without the gym component, I have been known to lack ‘power’ and explosiveness off my starts. However, having my first session out of blocks two weeks ago, I am pleased to report my starts are improving. I am feeling a lot more powerful without having to work strenuously hard; something my coach and I are very pleased about.

Last week (28/07), I ran a time trial in training over 400. I would like to take the opportunity to thanks all those who helped make the time trial possible, including my training squad, David Tarbotton and many many others. I felt really good. Running in chilly conditions, both Fira and I were very happy with the run.

Leading into the World Championships, to me, it is imperative to run a 11. last 100m. If the time trial was any sort of indicator, it could be very possible.

Well… 3 weeks out from the World Championships…. Time has certainly gone fast since nationals. Ill blog closer to the championships but I thought I’d give you my present thoughts.

A common question, I’d imagine everyone is curious to know is “how do you think you will go at the World Championships?”.

Well, for the moment, I can only forge the following answer, with many determinants that can influence how we as a team run at the Championships:

I have tried to look at where we are as a team. But, with the team spread out all over the world, I think it is only appropriate that I base my response around myself. I personally, am feeling very good and very confident that we as a team can excel at the championships. I feel that everything is on track for me personally, and both my coach and I are share the same thoughts. I’ve been running better then I have before, training harder then I have before and running faster then I have before. As for the rest of the team, they too from what I can gather are also on track in terms of their personal preparation. It doesn’t take a guru to acknowledge the experience of my team mates, with an array of medals and achievements on all stages of athletics that are unmatched by many who wear the tights and spikes of our sport. I haven’t personally spoken to Ben, Sean or John in a while, but I am confident that they know what they each need to do. They all have coaches who are very experienced and have a good reputation for seeing their athletes ‘peak’ at the right time. In spite of Australia’s “weaker” domestic race times then in the past, I am confident we all, as a team will be ready to run faster then we ever have before, and represent both our country and the team to the best of our abilities.

When you look at the four of us, the one thing you can never take away is our fight, out determination to give our all every time we step onto the track. I think I speak for the team when I say that we will do no different in three weeks time.

As I said earlier, ill give a more ‘updated’ response in a few weeks time.

For the next few weeks, with trial exams over, just about my full focus will be on athletics. I am really looking forward to my last few weeks of training before I leave. I will be doing a few 100, 200 and 300m time trials in the upcoming weeks, to give me an indication on my speed and speed endurance progression.

Finally before I go, I’d like to express my admiration and congratulations to all the Australian athletes who have been competing in Europe over the last few months. It has been great to see Sally leading by example, with many many others achieving personal bests and showing us that their preparations are well on track.

For now, I saw goodbye. Train hard, keep healthy and ill be back in a few weeks to give my final thoughts heading into my first IAAF World Championships.

Cheers

SS

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum